galley-up or galley-down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are a few boat, mostly express styling with the galley aft of the salon, designed just for the purpose you mention of dining on the aft deck plus integrating better with the grill. While breakfast and lunch are convenience meals, at least half of our dinners involve grilling.

I've seen a few Defevers with that arrangement, 44 and 44+5 as I recall. Very small salon as a result, but great outdoor living space on those things.

On the GB 49 Classic we used to charter, galley ran almost all the way down the port side of the salon. We liked the galley down on the 49 Motoryacht we later chartered better, and that was when Ann put the check mark on "Galley Down" as a requirement when we went out to buy our own boat. Another good illustration of why chartering is so great before you buy.

I've seen a few Defevers with that arrangement, 44 and 44+5 as I recall. Very small salon as a result, but great outdoor living space on those things.

I don't have the dimensions handy, but the 44 salon doesn't "live" small, George. It's actually comfortable and feels spacious compared to some boats of similar size we looked at. Agree with you on the outdoor living space--it's vast.

Pete, can you give me an example of a boat where steps go only to a galley and there is nothing else down at that level? ? I can't recall having seen one.

Thanks!

Can't think of one George, mostly the galley down also doubles as the way forward, so again, has a disadvantage of traffic throughout it. That and the fact any living area halfway between the upper and full lower level has to be taking from engine room space, and for the cupboards to be reachable, headroom in the for'd stateroom or bathroom space I would think.
Just my personal view however. I have never had to live with galley down.

I don't have the dimensions handy, but the 44 salon doesn't "live" small, George. It's actually comfortable and feels spacious compared to some boats of similar size we looked at. Agree with you on the outdoor living space--it's vast.

Glad it works for you; I have a couple of friends, one with a 44 and the other with a 44+5 and they seem small to Ann and I, but we come from a much bigger boat. Whatever, still a great boat IMO. Come to think of it a friends Hatteras 42LRC also had the galley in the aft part of the salon; about the same size overall area IIRC. Defever and Hargrave were two of the greatest pleasure boat NAs of all time, so who's to argue with them?

Back
Top Bottom