A different trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Being an obvious proponent of form following function, there's a lot of valuable info and tips there that are helpful to anyone in the process of choosing, modifying, or building their "functional" dream. A lot to take in. Thanks for that link, Tad.

Amazing! Bet it took this guy all of 60 seconds to solve Rubik's Cube.

The only flaw I see in his design is his choice of anchor . . . :rolleyes: :D

Great little boat, believe it was posted in the interesting boats thread but this video is amazing.

"Leif Knutsen's trawler Raven, too clever by half?"
I think he really enjoys woodworking and all the little movable bits were an expression of the woodworkers art.

Tad--- That is the coolest thing I've ever seen in all my years of being involved with boats, here and in Hawaii. Not just because the boat is a wonderful design for these PNW waters, but because of the ingenuity and practicality he put into every aspect of a boat.

It's great to know there are people with that kind of mind and those kinds of skills out and about.

Thanks a bunch for putting that link up. I'm going to remember what this guy did-- and his attitude toward what a boat should be--- for the rest of my life.

My generator burns more then his boat at flank!:eek:

Tad, thanks for sharing. That was great, what a practical and well thought out boat.

I bet his rudder doubles as a pancake griddle.

There are a couple of things about Raven that bother me, but in general I really admire the open plan and flexible space.

I'm not sure about the "moving floor". I built my house and my boat, I don't have the house any more but I can/could walk through either of them with my eyes closed and not miss a step. In Raven you might spend a lot of time wondering if that floor is there or not? And I really don't like loose floor boards in a boat that goes to sea. I'll guess she's fine most of the time inside here, but there could be a problem in short-sharp seas.

The too-low roof over the after deck bothered me for a while. But once you've seen the boat and noticed the dinghy storage is in that aft deck, it makes some sense.

Very interesting boat. Reminds me of one of those wooden jigsaw puzzle that toddlers play with. But seriously, I love his thought process and how everything has multiple functions. The combination head/wet bar...I'll bet no one ever thought of combining those two functions before.

Very interesting design - reminds me of a kid's 'Transformer' toy. I suppose the smaller the boat, the greater the requirement to have multi-functioning elements.

I find it inconvenient at times to have to convert an up galley from salon mode to 'kitchen' mode on my 34. On that boat, you'd spend a lot of time converting between multi-functions.

I got a sore butt watching that video - I didn't see a single cushion anywhere!

This is what I call Naval Art.

A firm example of Human creative engineering.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom