Old 09-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #58
Tad Roberts
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRC58Fan View Post
Tad - I'd really like to understand better this issue you bring up. "disciplined about adding goodies..." makes me wonder... from your experience, what exactly what are you trading off when you go to a light design like this. From his the Artnautica Facebook page it sounds like he's got room for a genset in the production boat - but I'm wondering about AC, onboard water desalinator, a flying bridge, no double bottom of boat, thinner Aluminum hull and window glass spec compared to the Dashew FPB, etc.

Are these all something you can't add to the Artnautica without a complete redesign? What else are you trading off when you go to the very light boat design?

I'm totally happy with the "Toyota Corolla" of long, thin cruisers - but what I don't want is the bare-bones "vw bug" of the boat world - with no radio, etc.

Any tips greatly appreciated.
There isn't an either or answer for boats, there are a thousand shades of grey. Which is why boats are so fascinating, we can all create the perfect boat, and it will be different for all of us.

Almost every boat will be improved by unloading the 1000 pounds of unused junk that's stashed away aboard. That's the first step.

I see it as a mindset, one person can't survive without AC, but people do actually live in hot places without AC. Watermaker? Do you really need that? And do you understand the cost, not just to you but to the surrounding environment. I would not be interested in cruising if I entered every harbour and ran a generator 24/7. The otter who came by and talked to us this morning would not be seen or heard if we were running an engine. It's raining so we harvest some fresh water, the wind is blowing so we harvest some wind energy, if it doesn't blow we conserve....
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote