Outboard powered Trawlers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is the thing, new modern 4stroke outboards cost almost $100 per horsepower with a best case lifespan of 6000 hours, used daily like on a tour boat with super maintaince perhaps on the outside 9000 hours. In the end the diesel is now cheaper last longer and you get more hp per dollar, and you do not have gasoline aboard.. I do love4 stroke outboards though. Smooth, quite, just nice.

Could you pick me up a Yamaha F-15 that will last me 5000 hours, brand new, for $1500.00? Thanks in advance.

I will pick it up and take you and a guest to a very nice dinner, you are the best.

I thought the things were around $30k for 300hp. I have no need for one but the best OB I ever had was a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke on a Bennington party barge in fresh water. Not too sure how much good a 15 hp will do on a trawler, and of course on the smaller units the $100 per hp is not the rule. 15 hp around what $4-5k....

Last edited:
Craig sorry I didn't know it was FG. Forgetitthen.

Rustybarge, No. Weight is very important. Double the weight and I think you'll need more than double the power to maintain speed.

Eric, I had thought someone on the thread would have asked you to discuss at greater length the subject of "Center of Gravity" as it relates to a bracket mounted OB system.:angel:
RustyBarge was refrencing high speed alumimum boats eventhough all sorts of hulls have been mentioned. The question of clarification is asked from the view of having been around, running and witnessing a mirade of various hulls outfitted with bracketed OBs. I have to be honest in saying I am not aware throughout those experences under all water conditions slow and fast, that the center of gravity was a concern or consideration.
I understand the gravity of CG in vessels where weight shifts or changes or design that challenges good secence. Cargo vessels, cruise ships and questionable construction. We all can tell or show examples.
For example, the boats that RustyBarge submitted and those of Tuff Boats do not reflect defects of design or actual utilization of bracketed OBs.
Looking forward to a discussion and it would seem fitting in this thread.
Cheers Eric:flowers:
Al

Attachments

• pontoon trawler.jpg
    pontoon trawler.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 109
Craig sorry I didn't know it was FG. Forgetitthen.

Rustybarge, No. Weight is very important. Double the weight and I think you'll need more than double the power to maintain speed.

What you're saying makes sense, more weight means more draft which means more drag= bigger engine. :eek:

Eric, I had thought someone on the thread would have asked you to discuss at greater length the subject of "Center of Gravity" as it relates to a bracket mounted OB system.:angel:
RustyBarge was refrencing high speed alumimum boats eventhough all sorts of hulls have been mentioned. The question of clarification is asked from the view of having been around, running and witnessing a mirade of various hulls outfitted with bracketed OBs. I have to be honest in saying I am not aware throughout those experences under all water conditions slow and fast, that the center of gravity was a concern or consideration.
I understand the gravity of CG in vessels where weight shifts or changes or design that challenges good secence. Cargo vessels, cruise ships and questionable construction. We all can tell or show examples.
For example, the boats that RustyBarge submitted and those of Tuff Boats do not reflect defects of design or actual utilization of bracketed OBs.
Looking forward to a discussion and it would seem fitting in this thread.
Cheers Eric:flowers:
Al

Centre of gravity, what the f**ks that? :lol:
(Joke):)

That's why they built this TrawlerToon extra heavy.

I know it's called getting 'pooped' when a wave comes over the stern; what's it called when it comes over the bow, through the wheelhouse and out through the cockpit?:D

It's good that you mentioned the reverse slanted windows, no doubt, the accepted mark of any serious trawler or trawler style of vessel.:hide:

Obviously you haven't been very observant! The 'North Sea' type trawler has EXACTLY the reverse windows you 'poo poo'. Maybe looking outside the box is a good thing!?

Green water flush. lol

From what I have read, Bob is pretty much right. Green water is the term for taking just that over the bulwarks. However, it can be applied to any part of a vessel, not just the bow.

From what I have read, Bob is pretty much right. Green water is the term for taking just that over the bulwarks. However, it can be applied to any part of a vessel, not just the bow.

I said it tongue in cheek because the OP asked for a term that describes a wave breaking over the bow, then proceeding to the pilothouse and passing through it on its way to the stern.

There is nothing about 'Trawlers' that is 'one concept'. There are so many flavors to make the options as diverse as our own taste.

There is nothing about 'Trawlers' that is 'one concept'. There are so many flavors to make the options as diverse as our own taste.

That is how I see it now. Back when my family first started boating (early 60's), my concept of a trawler was a working fishing boat pulling nets or pots.

Now I apply the term to a offshore capable, displacement hull, slow and efficient boat. Some powerboat catamarans are being called trawler cats, meeting the above mentioned criteria but having a greater speed range.

As long-time participants in this forum may recall from my posts on the topic over the years, I am still a purist. A trawler is and always will be a fishing boat. It is a boat that engages in trawling, which is a verb meaning "to catch fish using a large net called a trawl," and "to search through something in order to find something or someone." (From Mirriam-Webster)

As neither definition fits a boat used for recreational cruising, boats like the one we have are not trawlers no matter how much it may look like one or have some of the attributes of one. No trawl gear, no trawler.

Now I do have a term for our boat, and interestingly enough, it is the same term the manufacturer of our boat used when they built it. "Cruiser." Because that's what it does.

I've heard all the marketing and attribute reasons why the term "trawler" has come to be applied to recreational boats today. But no matter how hard one tries to rationalize it, calling a recreational boat a "trawler" is no more valid than me calling my wife's Subaru a "trawler."

Eric of this forum has from the outset had the correct take on the subject. To him, our boats are "cruisers." The original term was "cabin cruiser," which is still accurate as far as I'm concerned as our cruisers have cabins as opposed to motorboats that don't.

Eric likes the term "heavy cruiser" to differentiate boats like the one's most of us on this forum have from the lightweight, fast runabout type"cabin cruisers" like ChrisCrafts, the small Tollycrafts, and so on. I've not gotten that exact in my definition--- "cruiser" works for me for all recreational boats that are used for cruising.

In my opinon, the term "cruiser" applies equally well to the small-ish, aluminum boats that have been illustrated in various posts in this thread. If they're used for commercial purposes, then the type of work they do would apply of course: gillnetter, crabber, water taxi, etc.

But by defnintion, no net, no trawler.

Attachments

• Trawler.jpg
    Trawler.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 213
  • Trawler 2.jpg
    Trawler 2.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Fishing boats have nothing to do w this forum Marin .... nothing.

Having said that I'll not duck the tomatoes and keep on wondering why so many mainstream boaters lust after the status of "trawler boatman". What's the difference what type of boat you run and what it's called?

Again Marin nice pics.

Last edited:
Fishing boats have nothing to do w this forum Marin .... nothing.

Absolutely correct, Eric. That's why the term "trawler" is being used totally erroneously on this forum. It should be "Power Cruiser Forum" or some such thing. Calling our boats "trawlers" is as silly as calling a Fiat 500 a Formula One car.:)

Fiats and Formula One cars have four wheels. Our boats and trawlers have hulls. Those are where the similarities end as far as I'm concerned.

This is not what this forum is about.

img_263775_0_f53b9ebe17b51ef75588d61766a037e3.jpg

Check your Chapman for the definition of a recreational trawler, yet I agree that we're writing about "power cruisers" on this forum.

You're right. It's all about tawlers. See upper left of the screenshot. I think I mentioned this a few years back...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140902_210108.png
    ForumRunner_20140902_210108.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 69
Check your Chapman for the definition of a recreational trawler, yet I agree that we're writing about "power cruisers" on this forum.

Yes, well, Chapman's is a recreational boater's book, and as useful as it may be, it, too, has fallen victim to the same hype as everyone else. I prefer to go with the actual definition of words, not some marketing guys' definition of words.:)

I have no delusions of changing how the word is used by the recreational boating crowd. It's become too ingrained to change at this point. But in the same way that "flying bridge" is the correct name for the elevated helm station on a boat, not "flybridge," I see no reason to go along with the crowd on the term "trawler" just because it's a crowd.:)

PS--- The dictionary definiton of a "flybridge" is "...a bridge used by flies or other small insects to cross a rivulet or small stream of water. Generally constructed by ants, flybridges,while tiny in size, can often by spotted by the spider webs erected at one or both ends." (From the Oxford English Dictionary, Orkney-Shetland Supplement).

If this is what you've been searching for, the standard finders fee/reward here on TF is $5,000.00 :D

Models

There are fishing trawlers, naval trawlers, and recreational trawlers.

Trawler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree that "flying bridge" is the correct terminology for the upper helm so many other TF members have.

There are fishing trawlers, naval trawlers, and recreational trawlers.

Trawler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Right, but Wikipedia is written by anyone who wants to submit something. If I had a dollar for every inaccuracy I've come across in Wikipedia over the years we'd have bought a new Fleming instead of this old GB.:) So the trawler "definition" was probably written by someone who was simply parroting what they'd heard.

My wife was in the Navy and still has her Bluejacket's Manual. Plus I have a copy of the 1,000 page Bluejacket's that was issued in WWII, the biggest version every published. I've not seen anything in either one in the vessel description section about "trawlers."

Wikipedia is a handy reference, no question, and I use it a lot. But if it's really important that the information you get is accurate, it's smart to check out a Wikipedia "fact" in something that's truly reliable.

Wikipedia is a standing joke with the folks in Boeing Archives.:)

Thanks, Marin. I'll just take it with me and appreciate the life I've been granted.

Right, but Wikipedia is written by anyone who wants to submit something. ........

Yep! It's a source for students who are too stupid or lazy to do some real research. :rolleyes:

As for the term "Trawler", words change meaning over time for better or worse. Remember what "gay" used to mean? How about "green"? It used to be a color. An "engine" is a machine that burns fuel to make power while a "motor" converts an external source of energy (usually electricity) to power, so what about the term "outboard motor"?

In common usage in the USA, the word "trawler" is applied to boats that are powered by engines, not sails, travel relatively slowly, have living accommodations and generally look like a trawler.

And going back on topic, an outboard engine might have the same power as an inboard but they generally lack the torque of an inboard. The outboard might move the boat OK in still water but it's going to have a problem getting it up to speed and competing with strong currents.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom