View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Forkliftt
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
RE: Dinghy Davit System for A340

CAPT Glenn,We have the same size dink as you -I am pretty sure- and can tell you my experience. With no pipe davit and questionable roof strength above our sundeck we opted for the Weaver Snap Davit system. I gotta tell you the first thing we found out after I installed it was how HEAVY that dink is to pop up out of the water. We thought we were going to tip it up by hand (no motor) and failed! I had also glued on a stand off pad but eventually plan on a much beefier pull point on the outer tube. At that time I will tip it up using maybe a block and tackle system with a stainless U bolt I plan on installing at the top of one of our rear roof support pipes.
The SO insisted I purchase an engine she or I could carry down the ladder and install. This turned out to be a 3.5 HP engine. You sure have the right engine for this boat.
We tow the dink. I love it. Engine gets put on, tipped up and we have about a 14' tow rope. I shorten it when backing out of the slip, getting fuel, pulling in the slip etc.. I really like the safety of clipping the dink to the swimdeck and loading everyone up before disconnecting.
One problem has been a small leak in the front tube that would become a problem when tipped up. Cool mornings would also cause the same problem. I installed an Arc at the transom and the glue on pad up front but might suggest you consider the front Arc also.
Good luck and Welcome Aboard!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf3425.jpg
Views:	715
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	2675  
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote