SF to LA in our Beneteau Swift Trawler 44

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Lost Horizons I did some calculating for you while we were out on the bay this weekend. Water was pretty flat and the tide was at the end of the slack and starting to flood (we were going against it). Here is the consumption for each engine and the speed. Your mileage may vary :)

2 GPH at 8.5
5 GPH at 10
7 GPH at 13
9 GPH at 16
10 GPH at 18

I totally agree about the comments regarding the Semi versus full displacement. During my sailing days I went through my "full Keel, canoe stern" period. However with the advance in keel design and wanting more speed and to point higher than 90 degrees :) my latter years of sailing were fin keels with wings. I feel this is much the same trade off with the ST44. She is well designed and gets a lot of working out in the rough choppy waters of the bay as well as we spend quite a bit of time poking around offshore. Because it's the Potato Patch locals wouldn't call it a rougue wave but we did have an experience with a nice wall of water when we were poking around in the Potato Patch and she rode right over it (thankfully it wasn't breaking) She handles all of the conditions extremely well. I agree that in extremely rough weather the windows are a liability but as pointed out up and down the coast there are frequent harbors and anchorages for refuge (although getting in to some of them is quite tricky). We had another (on top of the water power boat) about the same size flanking us yesterday and she was rolling big time and ultimately got behind us for calmer water. When coming in the main channel during big swell the speed allows us to stay on the back side of a swell and ride in. So all is a trade off, but at least we're all out enjoying the water :)

Hey Lost Horizons I did some calculating for you while we were out on the bay this weekend. Water was pretty flat and the tide was at the end of the slack and starting to flood (we were going against it). Here is the consumption for each engine and the speed. Your mileage may vary :)

2 GPH at 8.5
5 GPH at 10
7 GPH at 13
9 GPH at 16
10 GPH at 18

CeeBee, thanks for the numbers! Your low end result is in a good agreement with Boat Test numbers. They published 3.7 GPH @ 8.0 knots, and you have 4 @ 8.5. Their higher speed numbers are a bit more optimistic. It would be interesting to see what is your fuel burn at 7 knots. If it is also in agreement with Boat Test numbers, the range should be over 1000 nm at that speed.

One more thing. Would you rather have a washing machine on board than a stash of quarters?
When I looked at ST44, I did not see a good space for a full size washer/drier. The salesman suggested that a portable one can fit either into a cabinet next to the galley opposing the couch, or in the lazarette. One crazy idea that I have is to convert the guest room into a laundry/utility room/pantry/walk-in closet/you-name-it. Do you think it would work?

The idea of turning the 2nd stateroom into a large storage / laundry is a good one. That room is a bit small. When we had guests overnight they slept in the saloon for several reasons.
The only other place would be in the lazarette but that wouldn't be convenient access.

CeeBee, thanks for the numbers! Your low end result is in a good agreement with Boat Test numbers. They published 3.7 GPH @ 8.0 knots, and you have 4 @ 8.5. Their higher speed numbers are a bit more optimistic. It would be interesting to see what is your fuel burn at 7 knots. If it is also in agreement with Boat Test numbers, the range should be over 1000 nm at that speed.

One more thing. Would you rather have a washing machine on board than a stash of quarters?
When I looked at ST44, I did not see a good space for a full size washer/drier. The salesman suggested that a portable one can fit either into a cabinet next to the galley opposing the couch, or in the lazarette. One crazy idea that I have is to convert the guest room into a laundry/utility room/pantry/walk-in closet/you-name-it. Do you think it would work?

Hey Lost Horizons,
I'll check out the 7knots for you and report my guess is it's in the 2.5 range per engine.
The stash of quarters will work for us :)
I don't see the Lazarettes as a solid option as Richard (RClarke) pointed out the areas are tight and if you have a Gen Set that takes up the majority of space. Also you have several access ports and breakers for electronics etc in the stern Lazerettes.
The Cabinets the rep is referring to "might work but the fuel tank and engines are directly below and we do use ALL of the storage.
The Second stateroom could be an option and it is a direct shot to the grey water pump out which is in the companionway adjacent to the stateroom between it and the guest head.

Back
Top Bottom