View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #37
C lectric
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
The barometric damper is in the exhaust pipe stack above the stove top meant to reduce/ adjust draw in the stack so the flame doesn't get pulled down to far into the burner,causing dirty burning.

I suspect if you are lifting a ring set into the stove top or the stove side then that is the oven damper meant to force the heat to circulate around the oven cavity for oven use. Nothing to do with the exhaust damper.

I do not recall how tall the stack above the stove to the weather head is so you might want to take a look at that.

Don't jump yet but have a look at those things:
--stack height
--weather head
--barometric damper
--thorough cleaning of the pipe and the stove guts

Yes, I do recall the burner sounded a bit like a roar. Forgot about that.

The residual fuel in the lines and oil control valve may be what you are burning initially and may be smokey.

I have never 'cleaned' the exhaust stack. If the stove burns cleanly it should not be neccesary. There will be some build up on the pipe walls but it should not be heavy enough to cause trouble unless the stove burns dirty for a long time, or you bang it.. Keep the heat up for a bunch of hours, open doors and windows, and allow it to clean itself out.

One thing with my Dickinson is although 'low' may be where you want the heat set 'low' is not what the stove likes. It needs to be turned up so it can clean itself out and it will. That's when I turn it up for a boat run and open the door and windows for temp. control.

In your case it may be worthwhile to clean everything that you can though if the immediate P.O. monkeyed things up.

I do use a small quantity of Startron in the stove fuel. It will keeps bugs down and also seems to help the burning although I can't really 'test' this thought.

I have a small Racor filter with a 10u element in the feed line to keep crud out of the Singer . There will be junk buildup in the tank over the years. I cleaned mine out at home and use clean fuel but even so there is stuff collecting again.

There is no 'pilot light'. That is I believe the burner you show a photo of. The low setting may need an adjustment but your unit is enough different from mine that I can't say for sure.

You may need the fan always. The burner is different from the Dickinsons. If you have then manual then look for air feed holes. There will/should be something. If soot has reduced thm then of course the burner cannot do its job properly. In my Dickinson I have to poke out the air feed holes, about 30 of them. But again yours is different.

Any second hand marine stores in your area? Even some of the house woodburning stoves may have pieces 'cheaply' that you can buy to test if a stack height adjustment helps. If that works then get a piece of the S.S. pipe. The bar. dampener, you may just have to bite the bullet for but maybe Craigs list if the used marine fails.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote