This is sad DUI case on the water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So sad to hear about this accident! Makes you wonder if the boat was over capacity and they had proper life jackets for everyone. I believe infants and young children are required it wear PFDs........or at least in Florida.

So sad to hear about this accident! Makes you wonder if the boat was over capacity and they had proper life jackets for everyone. I believe infants and young children are required it wear PFDs........or at least in Florida.

Yes.They are required here for kids too.I don't know the cut off age.I wear mine because of all the aggressive operators on our lakes.

The South Carolina law:

Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs)
All boats must have a US Coast Guard approved wearable type PFD for each person on board or being towed. Each PFD must be in good condition, readily available and the proper size for the intended wearer. In addition, boats 16 feet in length or longer must carry a Type IV throwable device. In South Carolina, any person under twelve years of age must wear a US Coast Guard approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD when on board a class “A” (less than 16 ft. long) boat.

I suspect South Carolina only passed this law so Federal law would not apply. It's about as weak as possible and does little to protect children from ignorant (or drunk) adults.

We would think people would learn not to drink and operate boats but it doesn't seem to be happening.

Fed law for PFD used to be 13 unless mandated by the state. The states all have requirements now so the feds backed out of it.

Not only is the boat operator at fault (drinking) but I suspect the parents as well had a few. Child endangerment?

Not only is the boat operator at fault (drinking) but I suspect the parents as well had a few. Child endangerment?

I'm sure but I doubt that will even come up. :ermm:

Fed law for PFD used to be 13 unless mandated by the state. The states all have requirements now so the feds backed out of it.

My point was, the US government allowed the state laws to prevail even though they might be less strict than the federal law.

Well it's been said that you can't regulate stupid so you have to wonder what effect the laws have in a case like this. Federal or state.

Dave

Well it's been said that you can't regulate stupid so you have to wonder what effect the laws have in a case like this. Federal or state.

Dave

Not much of a deterrent as we see here. Pretty much all they do is give society the power to lock folks up and protect the rest of us from them.

South Carolina law requires all children under 12 years of age to wear a U.S. Coast Guard–approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD while on board a Class A (less than 16 feet long) vessel. The life jacket must be fastened and of the proper size for the child.

An old law enforcement magazine cover quoted someone in saying something like this...

"it's not the severity of punishment that deters crime...it's the inevitability of it that does."

If people think they can get away with something...all too many will.

You need a license to drive a car but only need a credit score to buy and drive a boat.
You have to fill out 4 pages to rescue an animal at the shelter-- but nothing to have a child.

You need a license to drive a car but only need a credit score to buy and drive a boat.
You have to fill out 4 pages to rescue an animal at the shelter-- but nothing to have a child.

Licenses don't stop DUIs on the water, on the road or keep airline pilots from drinking.

Most states require boating safety education that overemphasises DUI and not some of the more useful stuff because as I pointed out...it's a bigger issue than "just" licensing or education.

................. Most states require boating safety education that overemphasises DUI and not some of the more useful stuff because as I pointed out...it's a bigger issue than "just" licensing or education.

I don't think most states require boating safety education. Some do for young boaters but that still leaves millions of older people operating boats without the requirement of any boating education or testing.

Even with required education and testing, if the person being "educated" doesn't agree with or believe the educator, he or she will not learn anything. They just put the correct answers on the test and continue what they were doing before the education. We've seen that on boating forums many times.

Last edited:

That's the truth and that's a shame.

Attachments

• lawmap.jpg
    lawmap.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
That is misleading because it doesn't apply to all boaters as I mentioned above. In most of these states, boaters born before a certain date are "grandfathered" and not required to pass a boating safety test. In MD, all I needed to operate a boat was a boat. I moved to SC and it was the same requirement - you just need a boat. There's a marina near me that advertises "boats for rent, no experience needed".

A notable exception is Washington, DC where you must carry a certificate of completion of an approved boating safety course regardless of your age and regardless or the requirements in your home state.

Misleading to you...

This is what I said...which is entirely accurate...

"Most states require boating safety education that overemphasises DUI and not some of the more useful stuff because as I pointed out...it's a bigger issue than "just" licensing or education."

I never said it was worthwhile or comprehensive in material or population.

Even in the states such as NJ where it's very strict...like I said ...it does little to prevent dangerous personality driven issues.

Misleading to you...

This is what I said...which is entirely accurate...

"Most states require boating safety education that overemphasises DUI and not some of the more useful stuff because as I pointed out...it's a bigger issue than "just" licensing or education."

I never said it was worthwhile or comprehensive in material or population.

Even in the states such as NJ where it's very strict...like I said ...it does little to prevent dangerous personality driven issues.

It's misleading to anyone who takes it at face value and you know it..

I just think people are smarter than that...guess I'm wrong again....

California recently passed a boater education requirement. It will be phased in over a period of about 10 years, with younger persons being subject to the requirement earlier compared to older persons.

California recently passed a boater education requirement. It will be phased in over a period of about 10 years, with younger persons being subject to the requirement earlier compared to older persons.

Good another state with the chance to get it right...are they blindly following the NASBLA format? If you don't know I hope I can find out the program guidelines on line.

Most states either limit the requirement basing it on the assumption of experience or they phase it in like NJ that gives the oldtimers a chance to study up...

The map shows South Carolina as requiring boater education. Here is the regulation from the DNR website:
Who needs a Boater Education?

Boaters under 16 years of age are required by law to pass an approved boater education course before operating, without supervision, a personal watercraft (jet ski) or a boat powered by 15 hp motor or more.

This means a person sixteen years old or older does not need to pass an approved boater education course to operate a boat in SC.

So while the map is not incorrect, it implies that boaters in SC have passed an approved boating course when in fact, the vast majority of boat operators in SC are not covered by the requirement. It's an example of a way to use information in a misleading way.

if you read it that way....

Back
Top Bottom