new and could use some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnstark650

Vessel Name
addie l
Vessel Make
monterey clipper
hi everyone my name is john and I just bought a fiberglass 30ft Monterey clipper for commercial fishing in san Francisco im berthed st pillar point in el Granada,. im pretty green to this new life ive chosen and have a lot of questions so please be patient with me . my first question is is it possible to put a kicker motor on a double ender? and if so can I get some tech info on how to add a kicker thank you for taking your time to answer. john

Welcome to the forum John, no answer to your question aside from I've not seen one attached yet. Those old Monterrey Clippers tended to have pretty reliable power plants. Perhaps we will cross paths and would love to check out your Monterrey, favorite boat design of mine.

Welcome.I have seen A double ender that had a 9.9 honda mounted on a custom bracket.It was offset to starboard and right on the stern.Controls were on the back of the cabin.It was a pleasure boat.I am not sure what the purpose was for the engine.Maybe get home power in case the main crapped out.Seems like the boat was an All Weather.

I was wrong,it's to port.
Amberly.jpg

thank you very much for the info. I wanted a kicker for an emergency id rather be safe than sorry I do have the unlimited tow package from west marine, however its always nice to be able to limp back if need be. but im sure with proper maintanence and acute attention to my motor I should be fine . im learning being redundant as far as electrical power and engine stuff goes that its best to have more and not need it than need it and not have it. I love this boat its slow but its fuel efficient and can take some pretty rough water without coming apart or failing ill post some pics soon thanks again for your replies

thank you very much for the info. I wanted a kicker for an emergency id rather be safe than sorry I do have the unlimited tow package from west marine, however its always nice to be able to limp back if need be. but im sure with proper maintanence and acute attention to my motor I should be fine . im learning being redundant as far as electrical power and engine stuff goes that its best to have more and not need it than need it and not have it. I love this boat its slow but its fuel efficient and can take some pretty rough water without coming apart or failing ill post some pics soon thanks again for your replies

You're welcome.

Welcome.I have seen A double ender that had a 9.9 honda mounted on a custom bracket.It was offset to starboard and right on the stern.Controls were on the back of the cabin.It was a pleasure boat.I am not sure what the purpose was for the engine.Maybe get home power in case the main crapped out.Seems like the boat was an All Weather.

I was wrong,it's to port.
Amberly.jpg

From the looks of that picture, that outboard is not gonna reach the water line. I think it is only hanging for the dinghy mounted on top.

I thought most sailors were embarrassed displaying fenders while underway.

232323232%7Ffp73477%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D394%3A9%3A67%3B2336nu0mrj

What does what Sailors do have to do with Marine Motorists?

I never really thought about fenders hanging on the sides.I just automatically pulled them over when casting off.

I dunno, Mark. From the looks of things on that boat, he may be locking. When I'm locking, I also leave the fenders on if the next lock is close by.

If he is on SF Bay, the next lock is NOT close by.

I dunno, Mark. From the looks of things on that boat, he may be locking. When I'm locking, I also leave the fenders on if the next lock is close by.

In all fairness to Mark, I was just giving him a hard time. I snapped that shot of him when he had just left the dock at the Pittsburg Marina. He had those fenders stowed before he passed the marina wall.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom