This is pretty rough, and a shared fear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brutally, unfathomably sad...

The authorities have the boat here in Fort Pierce for examination...me I am betting on propane. Charlie was in the v berth, no way out. Live aboards 13 yr old daughter with friends thankfully.

The authorities have the boat here in Fort Pierce for examination...me I am betting on propane. Charlie was in the v berth, no way out. Live aboards 13 yr old daughter with friends thankfully.

When my boat was surveyed the surveyor referred to the V berth hatch as the "escape hatch". I hadn't thought of it that way before but that makes sense.

Such a tragedy for everyone involved. How one heals from such an event is beyond me, even just to return to the water.

Been there, the near death experience is nothing compared to the loss of a child. Nothing..... I would not wish that on my worst, most hated enemy, the enemy's death perhaps but never the loss of a child. I ache for the parents.

What a horrible loss... Very sad with no words to share.

When my boat was surveyed the surveyor referred to the V berth hatch as the "escape hatch". I hadn't thought of it that way before but that makes sense.

That is what I call it. On my dads old boat I could easily haul myself out the escape hatch. I have seen boats today that the escape hatch is so far over my head I am not sure I could pull myself up. I have seen boats with ladders that WOULD allow you to use the escape hatch.

In this case, the reports said there was an explosion then fire so getting out the escape hatch may not have been possible.

Very sad....

Later,
Dan

Have escape hatches in the forward cabin (accessible from the berth) as well as the pilothouse (accessible from the helm's bench). They are most functional as skylights while the pilothouse hatch also permits viewing the boat's sail trim.

img_263444_0_17001865af1681049b14617b90d517a1.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom