View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #9
CPseudonym
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
"Running at WOT gives me more confidence (assuming all goes well) and after some engine running problems confidence seems good."

Exactly. This whole "you can/should never run your engine up to max rpm for a short time or you'll soon regret it" school of thought is bazaar.

I think it extends from the logic of some newer owners of older boats. I've noticed some folks, not many, buying a 25+ year old boat expecting to just turn the key and run it on the pins for long runs. Then wondering why the boat doesn't perform the way it did when looking at the 25 year old sales brochure they found on Google. Or more often wondering why stuff is breaking more often than they think it should. Never once thinking of all the weight that boat gained since leaving the factory.

Californian 34's with Cat 3208's come to mind here, the sales literature claims 20 knot speed and shows pictures of them running that. Now go buy one and try it with tired 25 year old systems, a dirty bottom, poor previous maintenance and every cabinet stuffed to overflowing and full tanks and see what you get. It ain't gonna look like the picture of the empty boat cutting across the flat calm harbor with 1/4 fuel load in the photo op.

There's a vast gulf between short WOT runs and running on the pins all day long. One causes no harm and the other is going to require a platinum Visa card.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote