View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #41
Arctic Traveller
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
RE: From Los Angeles to Seattle by boat?

Quote:
Marin wrote:

My understanding of the tax situation in Washington is this----

The best way to determine what your possible tax liabilities are is to go to the Washington State Board of Equalization's web site and do some research.* Even better is to submit your questions to them and request a binding tax ruling** They can also be reached at 800 647 7706* It's very important to understand the rules, as a simple mistake can cost up to 8.5% of the value of the boat.* It's MY understanding that a boat owned by an individual and registered anywhere but Washington may be brought in to the state for sixty days tax free.* Prior to the sixty first day, you may purchase a permit allowing an additional sixty days tax free, and again prior to the permit expiring, you may purchase one more permit for another sixty days.* After that you must leave the state for at least six months.* A new law allows you to extend this to a period of one year, but at the end of the year, you must leave the state for a period of not less than three years.* Should you register the boat to a corporation (usually done to avoid taxes)* Washington see's this for what it usually is, and restricts you to only 60 days in state.* Should you make a single mistake, like failing to renew your permit and letting it expire for even one day, you become liable for the entire tax bill with penalties and interest tacked on too.* Should you happen to own any type of property in Washington, ignore the above, and pay the tax the first day you arrive as they consider you a resident. Even if you live elsewhere, they can consider you a "Duel Resident" of two states at one time.* My experience in this comes from managing several very expensive boats for out of state owners, and being responsible for following all the rules.* I'm not a tax lawyer, so this is simply my experience, and a binding tax ruling is your best defence against a huge and unexpected tax bill. Or, you could go a few miles over the border to Canada and avoid the whole problem, although they have a different set of rules, they are far more relaxed.* Know before you go............Arctic Traveller Marine Services
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote