It’s Showtime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm impressed that the AP held in that big snot. On the planing boats I run around here, it can be described as "rough" when the AP loses it, and someone has to hand steer...

I guess a big part of it is the FD hull, big keel and big rudder, all of which a high speed hull lacks. Impressive, anyhow.

What was the plan???

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I have two anchors on the pulpit.
Primary, a Delta on 400' chain, I absolutely love.

Secondary, a plough, a little worse for ware, on 30' chain and 270' rode. But this anchor I have set up that once I pull the shackle thru the hawse pipe form the chain locker, it will stream overboard. SO if I need an anchor down in a hurry, I would throw this one over. Also, because it's rode, should I need another 200 or 400', I can quickly cut the end and add the length I need.

Autopilots

I'm impressed that the AP held in that big snot. On the planing boats I run around here, it can be described as "rough" when the AP loses it, and someone has to hand steer...

I guess a big part of it is the FD hull, big keel and big rudder, all of which a high speed hull lacks. Impressive, anyhow.

We probably need a thread dedicated just to autopilots.

I have a ComNav. Once you understand that the manual was written my people who did not think the users kne how to read, threfore they spent 300 pages dumbing down there manual to a point where none of it makes any f... sense.

So, getting past that and trying to figure out what really is going on is the challenge.

Let's take the smooth/rough water setting. 1 is for really smooth water, 9 is for really rough water. But this setting has nothing to do with the water, it's really a sensitivity setting, but they don't call it that because we are too stupid to understand what that means.:confused:

We only understand big waves and small waves.:banghead:

So, after many miles, figuring out that it is sensitivity, I set it accordingly.

Ignore the sea state, what do you want it to do?

For me, on the ICW in a narrow channel, I need it on 1 to stay on track.
In big seas, when I crossed the gulf stream in big ass waves, it was on 1, because I noticed that it reacted faster than i did hand steering.

Crossing an open area, in medium seas, I put it on a high number, because it man meander a bit.
The boat will broach if you put it on 9 or do everyting about 10 sec too late.

Your ComNav might have a dumbed down owner's manual but to not have any problems with it as you got into those northern lats says a lot for how robust they designed it.

Richard,

I am curious about your track depicted below. I asked some of the guys that were in contact with you and their explanation went in one ear and out the other. Care to fill me in?

Last edited:
Richard,

I am curious about your track depicted below. I asked some of the guys that were in contact with you and their explanation went in one ear and out the other. Care to fill me in?

It's a trawler version of a "crazy Ivan". He thought he was being tracked by a hundred TF'rs. The double back was to confirm it was only 60 TF'rs following his every move. :dance:

We probably need a thread dedicated just to autopilots.

I have a ComNav. Once you understand that the manual was written my people who did not think the users kne how to read, threfore they spent 300 pages dumbing down there manual to a point where none of it makes any f... sense.

Well it is designed for the commercial market. Fishboats, towboats and the military...

It's a trawler version of a "crazy Ivan". He thought he was being tracked by a hundred TF'rs. The double back was to confirm it was only 60 TF'rs following his every move. :dance:

Too funny!!!

:lol:

Also, because it's rode, should I need another 200 or 400', I can quickly cut the end and add the length I need.

In 12+ foot seas? That would be entertaining.

What was the plan if the engine quit in a few thousand feet of water?

In 12+ foot seas? That would be entertaining.

What was the plan if the engine quit in a few thousand feet of water?

Simple.

Drift until water is less than 500' then see plan above

Well it is designed for the commercial market. Fishboats, towboats and the military...

Yes, I agree. In spite of my frustration with the ComNav Manual, the equipment itself is tough and I could not have done the trip without it.
In my lessons learned, I'm not yet sure of the conclusion, but am sure that even more than a get home engine, it would be nice to have AP backup.

ForumRunner_20140901_130127.jpg

So this was my route. The yellow markers are my daily 11:00 local positions.
Not depicted is the 10 nm track towards the nw And return from 07:00 to 11:00 on the 21st.

So, of you look at my position at 23 aug 23:00 I am about 150 nm NE of my position on the 21st at 07:00

I'm still waiting for the explanation myself.#!

A wacky series of decisions

Here is the logic as I thought it at the time.

I made some really strange (stupid) decisions that I would really suffer for a week later. The day, 07:00, had started with strong NE winds at 20 knots. I did not want to travel into those winds as the boat goes very slowly, like half speed and the pitching of the bow becomes like a bucking bronco. One lesson I’ve learned about ocean travel is that since you don’t have to worry about running onto shore, you can go any direction, but in a boat that travels 6 knots normally, it’s fruitless to go into strong winds.

So therefore, I made a decision to go NW! Which would have put me in Greenland in two weeks.

Even now, I don’t know what I was thinking. But an hour later I correct the mistake and turn SE. Now, SE would put me in North Africa in a week. But, remember, I did not want to go NE because of the winds. This little escapade cost me three hours, as I crossed the spot I was the hours earlier. I was so irrigated at myself that I did not realize for a full day that I was compounding this error tenfold!:eek::facepalm:

The winds stayed at 20 knots out of the NNE all day. I continued to motor SE towards Africa. Had I not been alone, someone, anyone, on the scene would have asked, what our goal was and as soon as I answered that question, I would have seen the folly of my ways.

Decision making is the biggest casualty of single handing.

Day 5, 22 August

Winds continued all day from the NE, finally becoming easterly by evening and weakening to 15 knots. I keep my course of ESE now aiming for Gibraltar. I understand some of my logic, I was determined to stay on the east side of any low pressure area. The east side would mean Southeasterly winds, which I wanted.

I spent much of this day experimenting with course and speed, to find the best way to mitigate the wind coming directly from the direction I wanted to go. It was slow, 3 knots, but at least I wasn't wasting fuel and I wasn't getting further away from my destination. I spent three hours going due east, and had a very easy ride with 6 ft. waves coming from the NE.
Finally, after a full day and a half, 34 hours after my first harebrained course change, I changed course to due NNE, into the winds, but really slow, at low rpms, 1000 to 1050 rpms. The ride wasn't bad, the roll was minor and I was going in a direction that I needed to go. (this turned out to be a great lesson learned, as to how best to cope with winds and seas on the bow, if you must go that direction)

KK should put out a little cheat sheet.

Day 6, 23 August
I kept rpm’s low, 1300 to 1400, winds were easterly, but veering (the direction they were coming from moving clockwise) as the day continued. They stayed strong at 20 knots. Barometric pressure remained steady or still rising a bit at 1019mb. I continued on an almost due north course at 1500 rpms all day.

I was disgusted looking at my track and seeing that I was only 150 nm from my position on the 21st at 7:00 a.m., that’s two and a half days ago, I was pissed. If I wanted to make progress like that, I’d have a sail boat! I could have put the boat at idle, kept the course NE and I would have save a whole bunch of fuel, time and aggravation.

I’ll spend the next 24 hours being irritated at every glance at my navigation program seeing this track that did nothing other than waste time, money, fuel. Thankfully, what I didn’t know was that by adding 36 hours to this passage, I was setting myself up for a ride of the ride of a life time.

What mistake....you mean that learning mistake. Thankfully, your willingness to share this with complete humility will help the rest of us in such a challenge. Trial and error is how I would be learning this. I'm grateful that thanks to this post, the error part will be absent from the trial. Really good info, Richard. I have to say it again, though. The thing that makes this more real for us is that you're real, the trip was real, the boat was real and the result was real. Thanks.

Last edited:
Doing everything perfect during times of exhaustion all the while having the shi+ beat out of you while as that guy on Ed Sullivan (yeah I am that old :oldman:) keeping all the plates spinning on sticks and not allowing any one to fall is asking an awful lot of one's self:oops:

Richard,
This is a lot for me as a novice to digest and understand, so, Just to clarify, if one's destination is NE but there is strong wind directly from the from NE, what would be your approximate heading for best safety and comfort, assuming, depth, fuel and time were not issues?
I expect that the tacking to which you refer would be 10-20 degrees off of the wind, is that close?
Thank you.

Last edited:
In my lessons learned, I'm not yet sure of the conclusion, but am sure that even more than a get home engine, it would be nice to have AP backup.

I remember a few years back, morning beach walkers found a large sailboat on Cocoa Beach. The captain was sailing the Atlantic coast solo and claimed he went to sleep with the boat on autopilot. If an alarm went off, he slept right through it. There are several pieces to an AP and if you have hydraulics, it probably isn't practical to have redundancy except in the electronics. That is a tough one for going solo. Luckily, the Comnav is a reliable unit but, at some point everything fails.

Richard...

Thanks for sharing the good and the bad so we all can learn from both. The good as to what worked that made it possible and let it all happen, but also those things that if you had it to do over you might do differently.

While I'd thought of the issues of single handed we normally talk about, the idea that you don't have another person to bounce ideas off or or to question what you're doing had not made it on my list. I thought of tired leading to poor decisions but not the fact there is no one to question them.

Cruises like this never go perfectly and no one will ever take one that they don't learn something or wish they'd done something differently.

We all look forward to learning more from you. Maybe even one day a list of things that I did well or decisions that worked out good and those others I'd change. Certainly the fact you completed the trip and arrived in relatively good health and the boat in good health says it was mostly well done.

One thing I note too is I would think this would change a lot of opinions about capabilities of boats, especially the KK. While we don't want to press our boats to their limits, many of them are capable of far more than we ever anticipate. To those who just cruise along the coasts or a little offshore, if things turn bad suddenly, you are far less likely to have your boat fail you than you are to fail as a captain. Almost every boat owned by anyone here is capable of handling many times worse than they ever want to be in. But important to prepare ourselves, just in case.

Funny one!

But all joking aside, do you have a sea anchor or drogue on board?

What joke? That was the plan!

I wanted one, but when I looked, I thought it not worth the price. I had a small one made for a 20' boat, which i figured would be better thank nothing in a pinch.
Also, I'd read enough sailing books that I would come up with something.

i think one of the lessons learned here is that we can not anticipate everything and have to trust that we can make do.

Part of that is my learning curve.

I started reading everything I could about power boats after Beebe's book and of course, I ran out of stuff to read pretty soon. A lot of it was written by Nordhavn mavens and their basic message is you need to have two of everything and if something breaks have an extra one shipped to you by charter plane. Expense, if you have to ask, you shouldn't own a Nordy.

That message even prevails on this forum once in while. How many folks asked me about my get home engine? Pretty much the attitude was, you can't go anywhere without two engines. I say was, because I think this trip has increased the possbilietes for many folks out there.

So, anyway, after a few months, I finally realized that If I wanted more information about crossing oceans I better read books/stories written by sailors.

Wow. Now here was the opposite. Just when I thought I needed two of everything, these sailors come along they need zero of zero.

watermaker? we'll collect rain water.
electric toilet? we have a bucket (if that)
food? we'll catch a fish and if not have 500 cans of something in the bilge
radar? We don't need no stinkin radar
chartplotter? the sun comes up in the east doesn't it? what else do you need to know?

And every three days, they would wake up to water in their cabin and then spend the next two days drying everything.

Man they were tough. I was impressed; we decided that we wanted to be somewhere in between.

We think we managed that.

P.S. For the two engine crowd out there that would never take such a trip in a single engine. Next time you fly over the atlantic, check out the type of plane your on. If it's an ETOPS model, you may want to figure out what that really means.:lol:

Listening to conservative trawler owners will convince you to never leave the dock sometimes. Glad to see you've changed that paradigm. The telling part of this whole voyage for me was earlier in this thread when you checked in from the Azores. Hearing you where the second trawler crossing from North America that year was quite telling.

Listening to conservative trawler owners will convince you to never leave the dock sometimes. Glad to see you've changed that paradigm. The telling part of this whole voyage for me was earlier in this thread when you checked in from the Azores. Hearing you where the second trawler crossing from North America that year was quite telling.

And what impressed me was that they remembered the last Kadey Krogen they saw was a few years ago. It was probably the 44' "La Reve", as that is the only other KK I know of going to Europe in the recent past.

I don't mean to stray off course here,but I'm dying to know what your plans are for bringing Dauntless home.

Richard: There was a question a while ago about you going out on decks. What safety gear did you have & use? Jack line, etc?

I don't mean to stray off course here,but I'm dying to know what your plans are for bringing Dauntless home.

You're going to have to buy the book:facepalm:

We have to recover from this trip, but there is a grand plan, which i once mentioned, but I think no one took it seriously.

Let me get settled this winter. I need to save money for fuel so we can do the Spring Offensive. Our eyes are on the East

You're going to have to buy the book:facepalm:

We have to recover from this trip, but there is a grand plan, which i once mentioned, but I think no one took it seriously.

Let me get settled this winter. I need to save money for fuel so we can do the Spring Offensive. Our eyes are on the East

:thumb:

Return via the Pacific and through the Panama Canal,but first tour the PNW. :dance:

Oh, i have uploaded more pictures to SmugMug at
Atlantic Passage and Europe - Richard Bost

Please help me, should there be a picture that shouldnt be there, please email me.
When I have tried to go thru them all before uploading, nothing gets uploaded,

I have uploaded the beginning and end of the trip. I will get the middle done in the next days.

And what impressed me was that they remembered the last Kadey Krogen they saw was a few years ago. It was probably the 44' "La Reve", as that is the only other KK I know of going to Europe in the recent past.

Well from the comfort of my arm chair I can only postulate that it must be easy to remember as they're so few. Oddly you're the first ocean crosser I've read about here on this forum. Am sure there's more but they seem shy about it. Out of the 500 Nordhavn's sold thus far I honestly wonder how many have travelled 1,000 miles in a single hop even once? I'd hate to think a million plus and 3,500 mile range is being wasted coastal cruising these new boats.

I'm currently following a Russian gentleman on Facebook who is attempting to sail a San Juan 24 around the world. Haven't logged into cruiser forum to see what the experts there have to say about his antics thus far but can only imagine.

Back
Top Bottom