Roll and Tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if you go to a local paint store I'm sure they can add the correct pigment to come up with the color that you like..more than likely for a nominal charge and you can get them to shake it too!
Hollywood

Would the pigment have to be interlux or would any poly work ?

I know that 80's Honda tan you're speaking about......very restful color. The skiff looks great, by the way.

I don't know why they call it "Beige" as Beige is a light brown similar to tan.

I agree. If I was a car company and had to put a name to the color I'd probably call it Sage Mist or some such thing. It's closer to sage than it is to beige.

In the early woody days, American Marine offered a two-tone exterior paint scheme on its Grand Banks line of cruisers.. The white hull was GB Beige from the rub strip to the cap rail, and the white house was painted GB Beige in a wide horizontal stripe even with the tops and bottoms of the main cabin windows. I just noticed tonight there's a GB32 woody in that scheme in our harbor. It's not bad looking if you like two-tone color schemes.

Last edited:
Simplest is to use the color page from any big marine catalog, and have the paint mixed .

That way a touch up can be bought anywhere OTS.

Exactly....almost impossible to match. I guess, a full service paint shop might be able to scope it and mix with a suitable sample but I have found that iffy...

FF and Mule,
How can I miss the color if I put one quart of X color and one quart of Y color in a gallon can and mix?

Too many people have things done by others that is really simple.

In my case as stated the drawback is that my color selection is very limited. I do business w a very good paint store that does all the mixing and more. So I do have that option. Also I have been bitten by mis judging colors presented on tiny color sample. My color samples are probably 20 times larger.

I just start wondering what color would result from mixing one with another. And then doing it turns into fun and some good colors. Outside of touch up I don't have the need of exact color match up and as long as I'm dealing w equal amounts it's no problem.

I should probably just paint the decks white like they always have been but it seems a stupid color to paint a deck. Even stupider would be black or another very dark color. So I consider options.

Last edited:
Ok you have good backup. I had problems with house paint in years past. Sounds like u got 'er figgered out... Me, I am kindda a paint code number kindda guy, but by no means do I have the answers, just what sometimes works for me.

Exactly....almost impossible to match. I guess, a full service paint shop might be able to scope it and mix with a suitable sample but I have found that iffy...

The color natch computers at Home Cheapo and other paint shops works quite well.

They will even use a heat gun to see how the color matches after its mixed.

I think the off white I'm looking for is similar to an Island Packet color . I'm going to talk with interlux and see if I can mix something with this white to get this

Painting on fiberglas

I have good results from Rustoleum Marine Topside paint bought from Lowe's. ($11.93 @ Qt) Roll and Tip worked as long as we had the thinner matched to the temperature and humidity. Horizontal or vertical was according to the area we are painting. Wet sand between coats IF the paint did not lay down.
We used 3 coats of primer and then 4 coats of topside gloss white.We did this in May 2013 with a foam roller and good quality brush. The big expense was sanding time and fixing all the little cracks, holes and dings on a 1986 trawler.
As an amateur painter I could not justify spending $$$ for the paint. If the job did not come out right I would have been very upset if I had used $40+ @ Qt paint. As it is I am pleased with the results a year later and don't care what others may think. I have learned that most people don't think :)
Amazon Prime has the Rustoleum top side paint with free shipping .

I hope this helps you with your painting.

Autoteacher,
I think I've seen that "Rustoleum top side paint" and was amazed. Can't remember where though.
If you're pleased it must look good so what do others think?
That's lots of primer and I believe in primer. I love the Interlux primer. It brushes really smooth.

I was told the reason my Interlux Perfection primer bubbled and wrinkled was because of some breed of Rustoleum that had been used by a PO. Sanding all off was taking forever and clogging the disk. Finally turned to heat gun and a putty knife to get it off. When I have spent days progressively sanding and fairing, lift cost, renting scaffolding and paying yard rent not to mention disposables no way will I skimp on primer and paint + with a properly applied 2 part you are done for one hell of a long time. I want only the best, generally Perfection or Algrip, even at $75 a quart. Not that the way others attack the problem is wrong, just not the way I do it.

I would like to get just an off white with using the white white . What would you mix with it just to get the off white ? I have 2 gallons of the white .

Finally found this post.
Try some white like a quart or a pint and add two tea spoons of Sundowner Buff and three tea spoons of GB Beige. That should get close. I'm going to the boat tomorrow and will have camera for pics of my samples. I don't remember there being a off white cream color in the Brightside lineup.
Eric

Mule,
Compatibility or lack thereof.
Yes, I painted the bottom of a plywood OB w a tin based anti-foulant because I liked the light green color. Sixty to 70% of it peeled right off on the first run and I did a good job sanding too. This was in the late 60s.

Pack Mule,
The first is Sundowner Buff and GB Beige.
The second is SD Buff and White.
The third is SD Buff, GB Beige and white.

#3 is what we're going to put on our decks.

Attachments

• DSCF1612 copy.jpg
    DSCF1612 copy.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF1614 copy.jpg
    DSCF1614 copy.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCF1613 copy.jpg
    DSCF1613 copy.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Thanks Eric ,
I'm not sure what to mix with this white bright side I have to get the off white . But I'm determined to use it .

What do most of you use for tipping , a foam brush or traditional brush and what kind? I have done a little roll and tip but not a lot . I'm using interlux one part poly.

>What do most of you use for tipping , a foam brush or traditional brush and what kind?<

Sadly if you want the job to look as if it was sprayed ,,a good varnish brush.

$20-$40 , 2 inch or so, and you cant clean it well enough to do varnish with later.

Badger hair is pricy , but so was those many hours of prep work.

And the brush does last thru a lot of painting.

Joy did the primer on the gunwales while I was at work today . We hope to get two coats of paint on by the weekend . I'm fortunate to have her and the fact that she likes working on an old boat makes me pinch myself sometimes. She is good with the paint brush and the varnish brush .:flowers: ( if that is not the gunwale please correct me ).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 121
Environment makes a big difference on how its done. I have rolled and tipped with great results using two 6" white rounded end foam weenie rollers. The second is used to tip the paint and is kept dry. Close in work I use foam 1"brushes.

I have a very nice set of badger hair brushes from the days when I restored classic mahogany speedboats..the results I get with foam do not make it worth the hassle of cleaning the good brushes.
Hollywood

Environment makes a big difference on how its done. I have rolled and tipped with great results using two 6" white rounded end foam weenie rollers. The second is used to tip the paint and is kept dry. Close in work I use foam 1"brushes.

I have a very nice set of badger hair brushes from the days when I restored classic mahogany speedboats..the results I get with foam do not make it worth the hassle of cleaning the good brushes.
Hollywood
The weather is perfect here for painting this week . Is one of the tricks with using the foam brush and rollers is keeping plenty around and chunk them often ? Is there such a thing as a better quality foam brush or are they all the same ?

First Rate Pack Mule!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Pack Mule,
The first is Sundowner Buff and GB Beige.
The second is SD Buff and White.
The third is SD Buff, GB Beige and white.

#3 is what we're going to put on our decks.
Started the mixing process . I use 4 parts white and 1 part sundowner buff . It has a little bit of a pink hue . Ithinka maybe 2 more parts white will get it closer the Island Packet cream I'm looking for .

Here's an update on Willy's refinishing progress. It's nowhere finished but much progress has been made. Like Joy Chris is a very willing painter w all the patience it requires. The cabin w the darker brown as seen in pic #2&3 will be replaced w (Three Can Tan) as seen on the decks. That awful green in the aft cockpit will be gone and a flat brown/green will replace it. And we hope to get another coat of varnish on the caprails. The caprail was black w mold two months ago. All and all enough to carry us through the winter in covered moorage.
The bottom pic was ten years ago.

Attachments

• DSCF1645 copy.jpg
    DSCF1645 copy.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCF1646 copy.jpg
    DSCF1646 copy.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF1647 copy.jpg
    DSCF1647 copy.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF1616 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF1616 copy 2.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 105
  • all to 12-15-09 128 copy 2.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 128 copy 2.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Looking good Eric:thumb:

This is 1 coat primer and 2 coats brightside . The color is 12 parts white and 1 part sundowner buff . It took 6 rollers and about 12 foam brushes. . The Wooster foam brushes seem to be the best .Glad it's done !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 101
Pack Mule,
Yes I think I can see the reddish/pinkish glow of the Sundowner Buff. Use a bit of GB Beige instead and the pink will disappear and turn to brownish/green.
We should enter this into our log books so we can duplicate the color in the future. It will be harder for me to do the three can tan as three colors are involved however in equal amounts.
Looks great. It's amazing how a good paint job can bring about so much pride and satisfaction.

Manyboats
I wish you woulda keep that pinkish comment to yourself or sent me a pm . Now I've got some explaining to do. I'm not repainting it . Too much work !:hide:it might be pink but William is still a work horse. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom