View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #22
DutchProf

RE: Searching for the 'Perfect' Loop Boat...

Charles -*Thanks for your most kind offer that I will definitely take you up on! I just took an initial look at your site, and believe I may just have some reading to do before I ask any specific questions. *For now, I am intrigued by the "boat size question". *My wife has strong feelings about the split fore-aft arrangement - I am OK w that, but liked the Europa sedan style quite a lot. **Be that as it may - we think it is reasonable to assume that we will have couples join us relatively frequently for legs of the trip that permit them to "fly in and out". Given the relative comfort level of two couples and a HUGE (85 lbs) dog, I was moving my target length up to the 42-45 ft. range.

However, lots of folks suggest keeping it small - I THINK I understand the KISS principle *- and rationally I understand. washing down, and other repetitive *chores become more labor intensive. *Yet, fundamentally, the systems between a 38Ft. or 45 ft. on initial reflection, do not appear to be that much different. Same number of engines, head(s), generator, etc. *I KNOW, by saying that I just reinforced my NEWBIE status, and make many of you experienced folks sigh and/or shake your head...

So (and feel free to defer, until I study your website), if you feel like it, comment on why in your case 45 Ft. was not necessary, and how a smaller boat would have impacted your voyaging experience. How did you come to pick the 45 ft. length - back then, were you thinking along my lines of thought? *I'll study the specs on your site - assume you had two engines - no thruster - which means today you'd value thruster over second engine?

Sorry - rambling again - but so very much appreciate all of everyone's *thoughts - they are so helpful in re-defining meaningful objectives .
Just so those who may be following this know: planning to own the boat for a couple of years before setting out on the Loop, allowing me to really study its systems, and to become minimally proficient in managing the more likely problems that we will encounter...

Thanks again !
DutchProf is offline   Reply With Quote