N4712
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Nordhavn adopts semi-displacement design

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I'm just not sure you can say that though. Nordhavn's strength is in the hull and structure and this won't be that. There is some carryover. And for all of Nordhavn's quality in construction they then take an exceptionally long time once shipped to the destination in completion and outfitting and also continue with adjustments and fine tuning of equipment for a good while after delivery. Their model is very different than the other SD's in that respect.

Most differences have good and bad. The plus will be more customization than other SD's. The negative is takes more time to get ready plus may have more post-delivery adjustments to be made.

Don't get me wrong. I think Nordhavn builds a fine boat. I think many others do too. But the true strength is the design, hull and the sea worthiness. And this boat will not be the same there. Right now if I was buying I'd go for a proven 58 or 65 from Fleming before Hull #1 from Nordhavn, simply because I'm conservative. Now, it may turn out to be the greatest SD there is.

Anyone know what kind of delivery time from order they're quoting? If it's like the rest of their line then it's much longer than any other SD.

I'm from Missouri (not really, just philosophically). I won't ordain it or condemn it at this time, just wait to see. I'm not going to automatically assume because it's their first SD it can't be great. But I'm also not going to assume because they build good FD boats, this will automatically be to that level. In fact, in some ways it can't be to that level by design.

Very good point. I would definitely not want to receive hull one of any boat. You also raise a good point about delivery time too, that'll be interesting to watch pan out. Waiting a year then another 6 months for commissioning is a lot, but people seem to wait.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote