Nordhavn adopts semi-displacement design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chuck Gould

Vessel Name
Dear Prudence
Vessel Make
Eagle 40
Here's something different.

Nordhavn's latest introduction, a 59-footer, is a semi-displacement boat. Nordhavn claims they are trying to reach out to a new market, in which fewer people will be ocean voyagers and more will be coastal cruisers.

Welcome to Nordhavn.com - Power Thats Oceans Apart

Interesting, and twins, too.

To my mind that design is not ready for prime time. I love the outside area, but it comes at too steep a price. I think the saloon/galley area should be extended and reworked. It just doesn't look like a comfortable living space for a coastal cruiser. I think the 47 for its size has a much better layout. Even the 44 Defever that Ian bought has a better use of space.

That being said, the Nordhavn brand will probably sell. I.m sure they don't give a rip about my opinion. I think they have some absolutely great boats, but to me this one is not ready yet.

Nordhavn has a great market niche , and I think they might be facing serious competition in the semi displacement arena.

There are already lots of manufacturers that have semi displacement offerings in every price point imaginable.

What value will they bring to the market that the other entrenched manufacturers are not fulfilling?

Ken,
But Nordhavn has the name. And ther'e not offering an entry level boat.

I don't like it though.

I think they have run out of people that want slow boats and still want to get bigger. If ther'e going to dominate the trawler market the've no choice but to build SD boats. Most all trawlers are SD for good reasons.

I thought the Nordhavn 35 was SD.

Are they grasping at straws or responding smartly to market? Time will tell. Maybe a bit of both.

As a semi displacement type couple though, we find it lacking at first glance. By the time it gets to market perhaps it will be better. The salon area is lacking although the galley is huge, obviously where that space went. Why aft galley, I don't know. Only an 800 lb davit? In that size boat? Should be at least 1000 lbs and while easily changed just makes you wonder why. Especially when they say a 14' tender. A 13' Novurania with a 50 hp would come too close to that capacity for comfort. While the hp is high for Nordhavn, it's low versus competitors who typically have twins in the 1000 hp range available. Same with speed as it's 20 knots WOT and others are 20 knots cruising. While appealing to Nordhavn loyalists, it's design just seems so much Nordhavn with a quickly modified hull and weight rather than something designed ground up to be different.

Nordhavn has been very distinctive and held a unique place. They have their strengths and haven't had to compete directly with others. For small expedition type fiberglass boats they've been the market. One plays to their strengths. But I don't see this boat attracting the non Nordhavn customers and I'd be surprised to see Nordhavn customers want it. It doesn't represent what they're about.

Comparing to say a 59' GB or a 60' Hatteras it's lighter, narrower and has a shorter waterline length. It also has a shallower draft.

Yes, it will get attention because it's Nordhavn. But getting attention and filling a real need are two different things. Their 120' got attention, but I haven't seen it attracting a new group of buyers to them. While I'll reserve final judgement until there is actually a boat to see, I am not initially impressed.

I think the 47 for its size has a much better layout. Even the 44 Defever that Ian bought has a better use of space.

Thanks, Don! I could live with being second fiddle to a Nordy 47 :). One minor correction: she isn't mine yet. Although from the pictures it seems like a no-brainer, I've still got to see what the survey says next month. Hopefully, she's as sound as she appears.

You know they may be responding to customer base

My dock neighbor a few years ago had a Nordhavn 40 stabilized with fins and paravanes. At that time I had a 4788 Bayliner, his boat never left the dock. On one rare occasion when it did, we both left for Angel Island on SF bay from Alameda. We ran out the estuary at about 6knts and started across the bay into the slot. It got a little snotty and I started taking on a lot of spray, so I kicked that 47 in the butt moving the spray aft and left him to his misery rolling in that 4'chop. When he finally caught up to me in the cove, his first question was how fast were you going when you dropped me. Oh probably 18knts. One of the problems with slow trawlers is you just can't get anywhere in a day. The problem for Nordhavn is there are a ton of builders that know how to build good affordable planing coastal cruisers. Bayliner for one has been building good performing boats that get the job done with less power for a long time, and they have been doing it for a fraction of the cost of a Nordhavn.

Uh oh, comparing a Nordie to a Bayliner. You're in for it now.

Signed,

A happy fellow owner of a "Chevy or Ford of boats" (not that I don't drool over Nords or KK's)

The Coastal Pilot design has been out there for two years now. Nice to see that thinking outside the box is still alive and well at Nordhavn. It seems a big improvement over another quality built vessel, the Fleming 55, especially with an ER that one can move around in.

Quality and vessel support cannot be matched by any other volume builder today.

Bayliner for one has been building good performing boats that get the job done with less power for a long time, and they have been doing it for a fraction of the cost of a Nordhavn.

Along with Sea Ray, Carver, Meridian and Mainship.

A Ford or Chevy will get the job done as well as a BMW but those with the means have a choice. The rest of us don't.

However it is interesting to hear the comments of some Nordhavn, Flemming, etc proponents exalting the robust built quality of these boats when so few in the under 45' range have ever been more than 100 miles off shore.

That said anybody what to trade their Norddy for my Carver.:rofl:

I have to agree that Nordhavn will have to rethink this design to compete in the semi-displacement market.

Matching this vessel up to the New Fleming 58 that just came onto the market, I would have to op for the Fleming simply based on the Specs and the overall design of the Fleming.

I also believe Nordhavn is losing ground in the market place due to the economy which is why they are jumping into the S D market were on the other hand, Fleming has been holding it’s own in the market with their line of smaller vessels, such as the Corvette 340 and the F-55 and now the F-58.

If you think about, the economy has been flat for the last 5 years and so far this year shows no sign of improvement. All major Companies come up with a business plan for the next 5 to 6 years in hopes of staying ahead in their field. Nordhavn has seen the hand writing on the wall (The bad economy) and in this case, they understand the coastal cruising is a larger market over the LRC market.

Yes Nordhavn has the name so they will have a great chance to get a foot hold in the SD market place but if the design of the vessel is lacking it will be much harder for them. Also I believe Nordhavn is starting behind the 8 ball as well by waiting too long to jump into the SD market.

Fleming started their F-58 project 5 years ago and they have years of building SD under their belt were Nordhavn does not. So it can be a crap shoot for them but I do hope they can pull it off.

Happy cruising.

H. Foster

Last edited:
I think just like KK, Nordy will get their share of people who decide crossing an ocean is out, yet have the money to buy a very expensive boat that will essentially be doing the same work as boats a mere fraction of the cost.

Just like the KK express, (don't know just how successful they have been)...Nordy can copy that business model....from what I can tell, usually owners of those type boats become very brand loyal.

I think just like KK, Nordy will get their share of people who decide crossing an ocean is out, yet have the money to buy a very expensive boat that will essentially be doing the same work as boats a mere fraction of the cost.

Just like the KK express, (don't know just how successful they have been)...Nordy can copy that business model....from what I can tell, usually owners of those type boats become very brand loyal.

Scott, I think the Krogen Express is a Krogen design, but a different company. It is a very nice boat with a good turn of speed that is produced by relatively small engines. They had been operating out of Windmill Harbor on Hilton Head Island. From what I have seen it is well laid out with good space proportions. The only objection I have to the layout is accessing the master stateroom from steps down from the pilothouse. However, I could live with that. I like the boat.

Here is a link. Notice the color of the boat on the home page. Striking! (grin)

http://www.krogenexpress.com/index.php

Last edited:
Since Fleming was just brought into the discussion a quick Nordhavn 59 vs. Fleming 58 overview. First as to sheer dimensions and measurements where normally Nordhavn overwhelms in displacement even if not in other areas. Well, the Fleming is longer, has a greater water line, wider beam, and significantly greater weight. It also carries more fuel. Standard hp goes to Nordhavn but Fleming offers options to equal them. Performance is unknown. Nordhavn has a shallower draft.

Bridges look similar but Nordhavn accommodates slightly larger tender while having a smaller davit. On the main level Nordhavn has more galley and dining and has sacrificed salon space. Fleming's guest accommodations are greater.

I'm use to Nordhavn doing what they do better. In this case it appears they've entered a new area and not only don't do it better, but perhaps not as good.

Matching this vessel up to the New Fleming 58 that just came onto the market, I would have to op for the Fleming simply based on the Specs and the overall design of the Fleming.
H. Foster

Nordhavn's CP indeed does not match up to the F58, nor does its likely build price. It would seem the N59 is aiming at the F55 type buyers who don't want to spend the F58 bucks.

That said, Nordhavn has been unique in the business by posting "maybe designs" to test potential buyer feedback and get a few Forums like ours yacking. These "maybe designs" have not always come to fruition, but at least do indicate Nordhavn is focusing on the future market place. Witness the MS 56 which does not necessarily sail very well but does attract those who want to cross oceans in decent breezes, which was the roots of Nordhavn to begin with.

PAEs current build pipeline is pretty decent, as is Dashew's FPB backlog. IMHO, the FPB program is the most amazing story out there for today's serious blue water fraternity. The FPB 78 is no dock queen but sure has the crossing big water chops.

Nordhavn's CP indeed does not match up to the F58, nor does its likely build price. It would seem the N59 is aiming at the F55 type buyers who don't want to spend the F58 bucks.

I agree with you on that, however the reason why Fleming came out with the F-58 was due to the fact many people wanted a vessel that was between the F-55 and the F-65. (The F-55 was to small and the F-65 was to big.)

Before long I believe Fleming will stop making the F-55 (though I could be wrong on that one) But in looking at Fleming's history on their new builds, I believe they will.

In looking at the rough cost between Fleming's 3 vessel's F-55 around 1.5 Mil. F-58 around 2.5 Mil and the F-65 around 3.5 Mil. what does one get for a extra mil?

I guess the question here is what will the New Nordhavn 59 CP cost? If it is in the 1.5 to 2 Mil. range, yes I can see them getting part of the market with what they have now, but if the price is higher, I am not so sure. Time will tell that.

I have no doubt that Nordhavn will market their New Vessel in a great way and spend a boat load of cash in doing it.

Another question will be, Will the boating people go for it? Again time will tell that as well.

Nordhavn does make great vessels for the task they are asked to do and I am sure Nordhavn will rethink their design and come up with something that is a little better in the SD market down the road. Well I hope they do anyways.

In any case. I will be waiting to see what happens with it.

Happy cruising.

H. Foster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don's right about the Krogen Express....not the same company, but it is a Krogen design. If I had money to waste, it's true that I would have a SD hull like like KK Express of Flemming 55 (love the looks and lines of both), but I'm still waiting for Bayliner to build my 4788T and my feelings are hurt since after I published this rendition I've heard nothing from them at all.:mad:

Attachments

• bayliner trawler.jpg
    bayliner trawler.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 410
Don's right about the Krogen Express....not the same company, but it is a Krogen design. If I had money to waste, it's true that I would have a SD hull like like KK Express of Flemming 55 (love the looks and lines of both), but I'm still waiting for Bayliner to build my 4788T and my feelings are hurt since after I published this rendition I've heard nothing from them at all.:mad:

Larry, I'm sure it's that extended bow pulpit that's turning them off. :rolleyes:

Larry, maybe Bayliner thought the lazarette hatch you designed was too big.:D:hide:

Wifey B:

New failed ad campaign: "It's not your father's Nordhavn."

Oh wait, Oldsmobile tried that, didn't they.

If you want a luxurious cruising boat that can go fast you get a Viking SF without the tower and outriggers.

That being said there's no reason Nordhavn can't produce an SD hull at the same fit and finish as their FD hulls, if that's what their costomers want. I'm sure it will be a great boat with the ability to get out of the hole for those times when you need the extra speed.

If they do it right it would be like their FD boats with that something extra. It would have to be a Nordy through and through, there's no way they build a Bayliner with Nordhavn badging.

For those on the Forum who drive a BMW, Mercedes, Iinfiniti, Lexus etc Nordhavn's testing of the marketplace is understandable.

A few weeks ago I spent some time on a Pacific Mariner 65, the little Westport as some call them. It had great quality, ER space, sight lines and economy for its size. Alas, no buyers after the financial meltdown. And lots of competition from Outer Reef, Fleming, Marlow and GB. So yes it is a crowded marketplace but few match Nordhavn's after market support, a real consideration for those entering the new build high end market.

Nordhavn well recognizes that not all want to be ocean crossers and as evidenced by this thread is gauging the marketplace and hoping for an order. Once a new concept Nordhavn hits the boat shows it will generate great interest, now they are waiting for that moment. Remember, they came from building sailboats :eek:

A few weeks ago I spent some time on a Pacific Mariner 65, the little Westport as some call them. It had great quality, ER space, sight lines and economy for its size. Alas, no buyers after the financial meltdown. And lots of competition from Outer Reef, Fleming, Marlow and GB. So yes it is a crowded marketplace but few match Nordhavn's after market support, a real consideration for those entering the new build high end market.
:

Actually the PM 65 wasn't moved aside over demand, but as with so many builders the larger boats took precedence. Of course the story starts long before with a few wooden boats sold in a Tar lot (yes, tar, not car), then founding Bayliner and ultimately selling it to Brunswick. When Orin Edson bought majority interest in Westport, he pulled Pacific Mariner in. PM had the 65 and 85 and WP had the 98, 112 and 130. Another facility was added for the 164 which we wanted, having had it's predecessor built by Admiral a few years earlier. The PM and WP already had a common heritage with Bill Garden designing the 65, 85, 130, and 164. Jack Sarin designed the 98 and 112. Greg Marshall was involved as a Garden protege on several and Donald Starkey on the 164. But there wasn't room for it all and the styling of the 65 and 85 was a bit old.

So the project to renew the 85 was started. But before completed the molds for the old 85 were in a fire, so that task was stepped up while the factory turned out many 65's while waiting. Then there was a pent up demand for the 85 and ultimately the larger boats won out as they have in so many builders. The 65 was never updated and was discontinued. The 65 was a great boat and sold in huge volume, just needed some restyling like the 85 got.

Through all this Westport continued to build 8 to 12 boats a year and recently was sold to the Chouest family as Edson is now in his 80's. He does still cruise on his 164, Evviva (Long Live). The next boat in the line is a couple of years away but will be the 120.

The 65 has a combination of space and performance I haven't seen in any other boat on the market today. But then look at how the old Bayliner cruisers have persevered in their size range as that range has lost builders over the years. Go from the Bayliner 4788, 5288, and 5788 to the PM 65, 85 to the WP 98, 112, 130, 164 and you have a complete picture, all built in Washington.

I mourn a bit the loss of the 65 as I do the Bayliners 4788-5788. Similarly the Hatteras below 60', the GB below 43'. There have been over 200 PM's built in the two models, 65 and 85. As to WP, there have been 11-164's, 1-143', 43-130's, 57-112's, 12-106 to 108, 4-98's, 10-86 to 92.

The PM 65 is to us, our perfect loop boat. Too bad it's no longer built. We've actually been on (not just walkiing on but ridden on and handled) 65, 85, 112, and 130 but not the 98 or 164.

As to Nordhavn's Coastal 59, it will be interesting because it will by it's very nature be very different from their other boats. Not just hull design, but weight will be a huge difference. It will weigh just over half what their 60 does. Half the fuel capacity, half the water capacity. Twin 715 Cummins vs. Single 325 John Deere. No ballast. Wet exhaust vs. dry.

This will either be a brilliant expansion of their brand or a strange and confusing compromise that appeals to neither their existing market or another market.

It's also an entry into a very crowded range that has been weak. Pretty easy to compare a traditional Nordhavn to a Northern for instance. One huge advantage is they float upright. Ok, couldn't resist. Northern did build some good boats along the way, but certainly not Nordhavn's. But now comparing to Fleming, Hatteras, Grand Banks, Sea Ray, Maritimo, Marlow, and others, we'll see.

Good summary BB. The PM 65s I've been on suffered an angled inward pilot house door, prone to difficult openings at times. No fun when trying to get to the foredeck in a hurry.

I personally like the design myself, and the idea of having Nordhavn build quality in a SD boat.

I personally like the design myself, and the idea of having Nordhavn build quality in a SD boat.

I'm just not sure you can say that though. Nordhavn's strength is in the hull and structure and this won't be that. There is some carryover. And for all of Nordhavn's quality in construction they then take an exceptionally long time once shipped to the destination in completion and outfitting and also continue with adjustments and fine tuning of equipment for a good while after delivery. Their model is very different than the other SD's in that respect.

Most differences have good and bad. The plus will be more customization than other SD's. The negative is takes more time to get ready plus may have more post-delivery adjustments to be made.

Don't get me wrong. I think Nordhavn builds a fine boat. I think many others do too. But the true strength is the design, hull and the sea worthiness. And this boat will not be the same there. Right now if I was buying I'd go for a proven 58 or 65 from Fleming before Hull #1 from Nordhavn, simply because I'm conservative. Now, it may turn out to be the greatest SD there is.

Anyone know what kind of delivery time from order they're quoting? If it's like the rest of their line then it's much longer than any other SD.

I'm from Missouri (not really, just philosophically). I won't ordain it or condemn it at this time, just wait to see. I'm not going to automatically assume because it's their first SD it can't be great. But I'm also not going to assume because they build good FD boats, this will automatically be to that level. In fact, in some ways it can't be to that level by design.

I'm just not sure you can say that though. Nordhavn's strength is in the hull and structure and this won't be that. There is some carryover. And for all of Nordhavn's quality in construction they then take an exceptionally long time once shipped to the destination in completion and outfitting and also continue with adjustments and fine tuning of equipment for a good while after delivery. Their model is very different than the other SD's in that respect.

Most differences have good and bad. The plus will be more customization than other SD's. The negative is takes more time to get ready plus may have more post-delivery adjustments to be made.

Don't get me wrong. I think Nordhavn builds a fine boat. I think many others do too. But the true strength is the design, hull and the sea worthiness. And this boat will not be the same there. Right now if I was buying I'd go for a proven 58 or 65 from Fleming before Hull #1 from Nordhavn, simply because I'm conservative. Now, it may turn out to be the greatest SD there is.

Anyone know what kind of delivery time from order they're quoting? If it's like the rest of their line then it's much longer than any other SD.

I'm from Missouri (not really, just philosophically). I won't ordain it or condemn it at this time, just wait to see. I'm not going to automatically assume because it's their first SD it can't be great. But I'm also not going to assume because they build good FD boats, this will automatically be to that level. In fact, in some ways it can't be to that level by design.

Very good point. I would definitely not want to receive hull one of any boat. You also raise a good point about delivery time too, that'll be interesting to watch pan out. Waiting a year then another 6 months for commissioning is a lot, but people seem to wait.

Very good point. I would definitely not want to receive hull one of any boat. You also raise a good point about delivery time too, that'll be interesting to watch pan out. Waiting a year then another 6 months for commissioning is a lot, but people seem to wait.

Just on the regular Nordhavn line they have no choice but to wait. On SD, the production time isn't the problem, it's the six months commissioning that will be plus the first year after delivery often has a lot of adjustments being made. Semi custom takes a lot of definition. With Nordhavn the basic structure is standard but everything else changes boat to boat. With most SD builders in that range, it's not just the structure but the majority of the equipment that changes very little from boat to boat. Layout and furnishing of the decks is the real custom part.

As to hull one, this isn't just hull one of a model. It's hull one of that type of boat. It's like the first powerboat of a sailboat builder. Might be great but who knows. I'll assure you that Hull #3 is never the same as Hull #1. There are changes made. On some boats very minor. On others fairly major.

This has to feel odd to some within Nordhavn too. This is what they've been selling against, promoting their seaworthiness and economic use. Some probably feel like they've gone over to the dark side. Like I'm sure some did when power boats came along.

In this century (how is that for an opener) I have watched as the new boats have gotten larger and larger. Seems that the cruising market for new boats is one in which economy is not the driving factor.

Combine this with the very small percentage of boaters who need a full displacement boat to cross an ocean. Also consider that a 59 foot semi-displacement boat can reasonably island hop to go from North America to the Eastern or Western Caribbean.

Thus a high end semi-displacement 59 footer serves a lot of the market for large expensive boats.

Can't predict how well it will do, but I can remember when the 42 footers where large, now I see many 48s being sold.

Back
Top Bottom