Great Loop Electrical Hook Ups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ron, did you mean double pole/double throw here?

No. The breaker disconnects both hot leads.

If you look at the photo in post #22 you'll see two beakers with a common handle.

Post #5 shows a panel with only single pole breakers for 120 volt circuits

Last edited:
Without 50 amp service (unless the smart y will work and provide 220) we will be prepared for no A/C or hot water! Thanks

You might want to confirm whether your water heater is 220 volts or 110 volts. Most North American marine water heaters are 110 volts, typically 1,500 watts, and many only 750 watts. If it is a 110 volt heater you could easily heat the water with a 15amp 110 volt circuit provided you manage your power for the 15 to 30 minutes each day this would take.

You might want to confirm whether your water heater is 220 volts or 110 volts. Most North American marine water heaters are 110 volts, typically 1,500 watts, and many only 750 watts. If it is a 110 volt heater you could easily heat the water with a 15amp 110 volt circuit provided you manage your power for the 15 to 30 minutes each day this would take.
On my boat the A/C and water heater are 220 volt. Thanks.

The smart Y works great for getting 240, but the two 30's have to be out of phase, which they typically are when both are on the same pedestal. The smart Y's like my Charles have a little indicator light. Remember, you just have 30 amps available when you do this.

???

Only 30-amps total spread across the two "50A" legs?

We haven't had to use ours often, but I don't remember not being able to run pretty much everything all at once -- as usual -- with the Smart Y. And all that (both aircons, cooktop, microwave, both fridges, water heater, etc.) that would exceed 30 amps, if everything happened to be on at once.

-Chris

Only 30-amps total spread across the two "50A" legs?

Yep, it is no longer 2 50 amp legs when you use the Y; the dockside service is 30 amps remember. The dock pedestal power breakers will flip if you exceed it on either leg. I have tested this a few times.

Yep, it is no longer 2 50 amp legs when you use the Y; the dockside service is 30 amps remember. The dock pedestal power breakers will flip if you exceed it on either leg. I have tested this a few times.

That means it's two 30-amp legs?

That would probably be enough to run all our house stuff... assuming soft starts, compressors not all running at the same time, etc. I think. And that would 'splain why we've not ever had any problem...

-Chris

Yes, two 30 amp dock outlets / breakers provide two 30 amp legs. We can get over 30 amps/240 on a hot day without trying hard; easy enough to manage though.

That would probably be enough to run all our house stuff... assuming soft starts, compressors not all running at the same time, etc. I think. And that would 'splain why we've not ever had any problem...

-Chris

Yes...it's 60 amps 110 or 30 amps 220...or some combo depending on your particular setup.

But the real reason for the smart Y is to ensure you have the 30 amps 250 (whatever its feeding you).

Sometimes its only 2 sockets on the same circuit.

Many times you will need to find the other leg and run a power hose to a different dock socket.

Carry a VOM

Yes, two 30 amp dock outlets / breakers provide two 30 amp legs. We can get over 30 amps/240 on a hot day without trying hard; easy enough to manage though.

Yes...it's 60 amps 110 or 30 amps 220...or some combo depending on your particular setup.

But the real reason for the smart Y is to ensure you have the 30 amps 250 (whatever its feeding you).

Sometimes its only 2 sockets on the same circuit.

Many times you will need to find the other leg and run a power hose to a different dock socket.

Got it, guys, thanks... that's the way I had always understood it... just making sure I was interpreting George's comment about "only 30-amps" correctly. -C

Last edited:
Set the boat up to live easily with 120V 15A ,

and enjoy when there is more power .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom