galley-up or galley-down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Galley up or down?

Galley on salon level, with PH up for us.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1409418659.600929.jpg

Last edited:
Al,

Please remind me never to eat food prepared on your cutting board again.

Then you won't want to eat off FlyWright's folding table either.

img_262531_0_23d257b5453098374f8b0a39278f8117.jpg

Looks like a galley down to me.

Guess it could be, my interpretation of galley down is with the galley below salon level. But I guess I could have it all wrong.:D So I guess galley down, with PH up.

Please remind me never to eat food prepared on your cutting board again.

:D

Then you won't want to eat off FlyWright's folding table either.

Yous guys crack me up! :eek: :D :rofl:

I have a dedicated bait cutting board I place on the counter. Yes, my onboard fish cleaning occurs in the cockpit as shown.

If we're serving fish on that table, you can hardly tell the difference!!

For cruising, we're strong galley up types as we love a very social environment where everyone can participate. As my wife says, no one should have to ride in the basement, especially the cook. We like keeping down just for sleeping and laundry and the mechanicals.

Now, it's not practical on some boats. We have a coupe we use mainly for short trips and the galley is down. We do very little food preparation on that boat while underway. Mainly sandwiches or veggie trays. When stopped, we normally grill up and do the other prep down then.

On a serious note I have no preference galley up or down. It doesn't even factor into my boat choice at all. Layout and safety trump location any day. None but the heartiest of souls will cook underway typically and then I wouldn't anticipate gourmet either.

Had an incident a year ago that put it into perspective for me. 80' European go fast yacht came down the channel at maximum wake speed, wreaked havoc up and down the channel. My son was at the helm and I was close by but not keeping watch. The last few seconds before impact my son sad dad with a worried tone every parent knows, looked up grabbed the wheel and throttle at the last second to turn into the washing machine. Buried the bow coming down the back of the first wave.

Alls well that ends well but my only thought was "thank goodness no one was cooking at the time". A pot of hot water could have changed the happy ending that day had.

The other part of the equation is..do you ever really cook when underway? And if you do..just how much time is actually spent in the galley?

Most don't..if looking at real passagmaking, then I see it a bit differently.

Exactly. The "cook is not part of the gathering" is for the most part. a red herring. So is the argument that gally down takes space from staterooms....gally up takes space from the salon....where most waking hours are spent...unless the boat has a nice sundeck, of course.

It's pretty simple. If you've got an Admiral aboard and you like her,....galley up. Otherwise, galley down.:hide:

If we're serving fish on that table, you can hardly tell the difference!!

Serving fish is all I need to know. Cooked it well and bring me a plate please. Heat does kill germs and after this many years (and an immune system no longer compromised by chemo) there's not much that can kill me.

After all, the good die young and so frankly, looking about this forum ... well, what's the better part of valor?!? :angel:

Alls well that ends well but my only thought was "thank goodness no one was cooking at the time". A pot of hot water could have changed the happy ending that day had.

Aboard Seaweed I've been waked pretty well on occasion. My wind break has thus far kept pans on the stove. Actually, it's the ring part from a spring-form pan (think "pineapple upside down cake") and it firmly fits around the raised burner grill on my propane stove.

Here's a picture:

Wind-break.jpg

I won't work for my frying pan.
The main purpose though is to both funnel the heat up and to prevent the burner from blowing out.

In the deck plans for the size boat want, galley up means you loose head room in the engine room which is big no no for me.

Since we plan on traveling at night, having the galley up also means salon up, there would almost certainly be light pollution at the helm from off watch people. Another no no.

I am the cook in the family and having the galley down is fine by me. I designed our house and we have a 5'x8' window in the kitchen. I do look out from time to time when cooking but not that often. When cooking at night you can't see much out the window.

We think we will spend most of our time in the pilot house and cockpit. When conditions allow, that is certainly where we will eat, not down below. While I can and do cook complicate dinners, I don't see being in the galley that much since I am not in the kitchen that much now. We like fairly simple quick food usually one or two dishes and the big meal of the day is breakfast.

One of the reasons we like the deck plan for the boat we want is that there are different places on the boat to hang out or get away from others if you want or need too. Galley down becomes a place for some solitude if wanted. If one wants company, and not underweigh, the salon is right there. Not sure this will be an issue with just two of us but with more people visiting it could be. A boat can be a very tight space especially if there are not places for solitude.

Later,
Dan

We spend most of our time on the sundeck. Therefore, galley down is not an issue. Whoever is cooking is going to be alone anyway. It does take room away from the forward stateroom but that is for guests. Aft cabins are the best anyway, no water slap during the nite.

Galley up for us.
Wheelhouse, galley & dinette all on same level (although sloping with deck).
Provides easy access and seating when under weigh. When only one is on watch they can go to the stove for coffee, fridge for a pop or stand at the counter to make a sandwich and still "keep an eye out". Slow boat, 7 to
7 1/2 knots, with an autopilot.
Saloon is aft and down.
Ted

Attachments

• unnamed[8].jpg
    unnamed[8].jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 71
I prefer galley up with a large window, good lighting and plenty of storage and countertops. Our Kadey Krogen Manatee fits the perfectly!

Dotty aboard Cool Beans

Oh wow, I guess I hit on a popular topic! thanks for all the replies, everybody! As far as taking space from the spare cabin, I'm fine with that. In fact, it's just me, so I don't really need a spare cabin most of the time anyway.
Actually in a perfect world, I think I'd rather have a Pilothouse trawler anyway. The galley would be down, out of the way of the pilot's sightlines, and still even with the salon and cockpit, so as to be sociable.

I'm very intrigued by that Coot...

Galley down- it's more intimate. It's nice to prepare the meals (I am the chief cook) in a space specially designated for cooking. Post dinner dishes can be deposited in the galley, and don't clutter up the salon space.
:thumb:please

The other part of the equation is..do you ever really cook when underway? And if you do..just how much time is actually spent in the galley?

We love to eat! At 7 kts we don't get very far before we're cooking something. With a locking oven door and pot holders on the stovetop it hasn't been a problem.:thumb: Of course we use discrimination on what we cook to keep it safe and the helmsman gives a shout out for the Mega Wave.

Nothing like the smell of a home cooked meal or chocolate chip cookies while trawling along!:dance:

It just blows me away that statements are made like one shoe fits all...there are so many different styles of boats being discussed and no reference to size...;)

Well.... heck I prefer the galley to be on the second deck close to the elevator that can bring meals up to the dining or sun areas or down to the master stateroom....now.....really?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I prefer it up or down...depending on the style and size of any particular boat....so what's the REAL question??? and again...what's your cruising style and love of cooking and NEED for cooking?

I always said all a bachelor needs is a microwave and a grill....who the heck needs a galley anyway?......:facepalm:

The best is pulling into marinas...the first 20 sentences out of the harbormasters mouth is where are the 10 best places to eat...above all else...so what you do might be one thing but it seems the vast majority of cruisers cook very little for dinners anyway. Yes of course serious ones do...but again....is the OP gonna fit one or the other category????:D

Ann has done a lot of cooking while we underway, including most of this Thanksgiving dinner as we plied the boring Pamlico Sound up to Ocracoke:

PB220095.JPG

Lower rate of motion down there too, BTW, especially when it is more amidships.

You're right psneeld mine is only a 32 and we do all the cooking outside on the grill . We don't need a galley . It would just screw up the look of the boat anyway . We haven't starved yet .

I've had both and have a slight preference for Galley up.
Friends swore their next boat had to be have to be galley up, in looking at boats they fell in love with a galley down boat and bought it. Guess what they named the new boat, yup, GALLEY UP!

Here's a good compromise on the Sabre 42 saloon express Just 2 risers down from saloon.

Attachments

• Sabre 42 SE galley_100511btip-0158.jpg
    Sabre 42 SE galley_100511btip-0158.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
None of this was cooked/prepared on the boat:

img_262655_0_1e73de7b9d96d19c39c762a968f23f00.jpg

This is an old chestnut, in fact there is an identical thread on here even now, which I think best merged, if I can remember how to do it, as a mod.

However, for us and our type of sailing we prefer up, because I can reach the galley for a top-up from the helm, and everything is in view. Also I can secure stuff there with a quick dash from the helm if I see a wake situation coming.

The main issue from a practical standpoint are the loss of floor space to steps every time there is a level change, so floor area is lost in galley down, and also potential stateroom space, as has been pointed out.

The real plus I would think in galley down in for true blue water travel, and therefore cooking on the go, because the galley down is then nearer the roll centre, and less affected by the sea motion. By definition, you would normally be doing that in a larger boat anyway, so the space loss is less an issue.

Mark has lots of pictures to cover most subjects.
Larry seems able to "fix" most pictures.
RTFirefly can usually find something to return us
to our (in)sanity.
I could say it's all good, but it's all GREAT!
Ted

Deja vu, Mark, get that cigarette out of your mouth!

Sorry, that's the handle for an air pump in the background. At least nothing is growing out of the top my head.

Back
Top Bottom