Roll and Tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
Do most of you get best results from roll and tip from vertical or horizonal ?

Greetings,
Mr. PM. Ask that question about a horizontal surface. Right to left or left to right. One would think on a vertical surface where gravity is involved, up or down or side to side might make a difference BUT if your paint is on in an even coat, sags are minimal. Since we're in the throes of a repaint (Alexseal fairing compound, primer and topcoat) I've done a bit of fiddling around. I've found a roll on in two different directions tends to even out the paint, minimizing any runs or sags, followed by tipping, usually 90* from the last roll direction. YMMV.

What he said...
Main thing is to have a continuous staging of the correct height and strong enough for both roller and tipper (or is it tipee) stopping to move stuff invites brushmarks.

RT I will try the roller in both directions I can see that helping on the sags .The wife does the rolling and I do the tipping. Brooksie your right about having everything ready and a good clear path . The faster you can lay it on and keep the edge wet the better .
My dad was a painter all his life . He wouldn't let me paint just stay ahead of him moving the dropcloths around was my main job.He was fast . He used to call sags "Holidays" .

In varnishing we called spots where you missed getting varnish on holidays. As in you took a "holiday" there from the varnishing job.

We painted our aft head using the roller-tip method. We went up and down for the most part on the walls, but also went side to side at the tops and bottoms and on the narrower bulkheads.

I also painted the outside of our main cabin door nusing roller-tip, and for that we removed it and laid it horizontal.

I saw no differences in the process or the results between vertical up and down and side to side or horizontal. We tended to use the direstion that gave the longest unbroken roll.

The paint we used was Brightside Grand Banks Beige in the aft head and Brightside White on the door.

In varnishing we called spots where you missed getting varnish on holidays. As in you took a "holiday" there from the varnishing job.
You're right that is what he was talking about ." What did you right here boy take a holiday ? " He could paint all day cover times the area I could and only have specs if paint on him .

I like Interlux Perfection mixed per instructions with 7-10% reducer. Awlgrip may be ok, never used it. Kinda got to mess with the reducer ratio depending on temperature. That is kindda a SWAG. I use foam 4" and 6" rollers. The paint eats em up in 5-10 minutes. Sand till smooth to the touch ending with 220 on an orbital. Wipe with acetone or lacquer thiner before each application. Next 2-3 coats of Perfection primer, 220 orbital lightly between each coat. Hopefully just 2 coats of color, again lightly sanded between a third if necessary, perhaps 380 grit on a block by hand. Using SnoWhite it came out with deep reflective shine almost spray quality. Just have lots of foam rollers. The Lowes best quality seemed to last longer than the Home Depot. No tipping necessary. Paint on low humidity days. I had fabulous success with it.

Last edited:
Greetings,
If I may reiterate. EVEN seems to be the key. As Mr. Mule stated, with 2/3part epoxies, one can "play' with the reducer/accelerator although I haven't got a clue under what circumstances one adjusts the r/a. Our paint crew has the formula down pat. I'm just foolin' around. Mr. Mule's sanding regime sounds good as well. I've got no other experience other than Alexseal but that is a sweet paint to use.

I have to pick up where I left off last spring . I had to stop so I could enjoy the boat over the summer :dance:This is one part interlux . When I start over I will take it back to the bulkhead but now the cap rail is on . So I will have to go horizontal with the tipping .I'm doing the sides and deck. .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 186
At times we have used just a roller , no brushing out involved.

95% of the work is in the surface prep, but in some appliations its just not worth the effort.

A good roller job will leave a pattern that is constant , and may save a month or two of sanding.

Marin wrote "The paint we used was Brightside Grand Banks Beige in the aft head and Brightside White on the door."

Marin you got a picture of your GB beige?
Would love to see it.
Thinking of GBB for our decks and aft cockpit.

Both Mule and FF have mentioned just rolling without tipping. I'm currently building a small plywood skiff and painting it with Interlux Perfection. I started rolling and tipping it but discovered that tipping wasn't necessary. The paint flowed out nicely and was nice and flat by the time it dried. I used the shortest nap roller I could find.

If you want that deep spray on shine move to the foam rollers. Change and chunk about every 7 minutes before they fall apart.

"If you want that deep spray on shine move to the foam rollers. Change and chunk about every 7 minutes before they fall apart."

I'll try it. Next step is to paint the interior.

Parks,
A few years back in our aft head I filled old screw holes, primed and them attempted to "roll and tip" the fiberglass areas (most of the head). I actually used the Rustoleum boat enamel paint as I recall. The result was not very smooth, and the Ad complained of the paint smell for months.
If you don't mind, give us a run down when you go for the interior paint on a new thread and how it works out.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I have found that horizontal strokes with the tipping brush to leave the least brush marks. Particularly with Perfection. To find the "correct" amount of thinners for the ambient conditions, use a test piece. I use the side of a gallon can and if you feel ANY drag on the brush you must add a scosh (sp?) more reducer. Be sure to use the correct brushing reducer. The rolling, by another person, should be, as already mentioned, in both directions. No more than 2' square at a time and hurry, hurry, but watch for holidays. If possible, do in the shade or in side, ideally. I have roll and tipped both the hull and cabin top/sides of my 39' trawler twice in the 20 + years I owned her. I had no choice on the direction of the brush strokes on the hull, as I had fake plank lines molded in and besides, it is a more natural motion, apart from anything else.

Good luck,

Ian

I've found that the foam roller covers sold by WEST SYSTEM (Gougeon Brothers) outlast any other covers I've tried. They work great for rolling out epoxy as well as one-part and two-part paints.

Ted

GB32-126
Sequin

Marin wrote "The paint we used was Brightside Grand Banks Beige in the aft head and Brightside White on the door."

Marin you got a picture of your GB beige?
Would love to see it.
Thinking of GBB for our decks and aft cockpit.

Okay, but keep in mind the color accuracy is affected by the camera's interpretation of what it sees as well as how the digital media that are reproducing it here "see" it.

Of the interior shots we have, this one, taken in 2004 (the puppy is now 10 years old) seems to my eye sitting here at home to be reasonably close.

One thing you need to know is that GB Beige has green in it, fairly noticeable green.A bit more , I think, than what is represented here.

The girls are the daughters of good friends who used to live on Sucia. They now live on Orcas and the girls are young adults now....

Attachments

• 012_9A.jpg
    012_9A.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Super valuable info here. I'm putting the whole thread into my boat resource file. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Thank you Marin,
I've been mixing colors. It was a tough choice between GB Beige, Sundowner Buff and white mixed together and GB Beige and white. We choose the latter that could be sorta called an off white and yes there's green on Willy and soon to be more. This Light GB Beige will be on all decks outside and inside the boat. We will be changing the lower cabin color slightly to Sundowner Beige. Sundowner Buff and GB Beige 1-1.

I just thought of another mix I need to try.

:thumb:Eric,
This is perfect timing. I just bought 2 gallons of white 1 part interlux from a guy on our dock . I want a buff color and not sure what color to mix with the white . Do you have anything painted yet that you could post a picture ?

This is a test...pix now

Sorry Mule. No pix. Are you on an iPad? If so, you are gonna need to download the app. I use an iphone and finally someone on the forum helped me figure out what to do.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

App? I managed to get my boat pix next to the post as you see. But getting into the post has not happened yet.

Yes the app. I had to go to the App Store on my iPhone, download the Trawler Forum app and then use it when posting pictures. I never cared for the "mobile" version of Trawler Forum, but now that I'm use to it, NBD.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

OK good.

The 3 pics of Willy's cabin shows the "Sundowner Buff" .. w nothing added. The last two pics are of the skiff. I mixed equal parts of Sundowner Buff and Grand Banks Beige. I scraped the whole post and re did it to get the color right.

I did the mix as I didn't like the redish or pinkish hue in the SD Buff. It worked well enough. As you can see the skiff is almost void if the pink but there is just a trace of it that gives it a little pazzaz. One could call the skiff color a Tan and Honda Civics of the early 80s had a tan I really liked. Very warm and smooth looking.

Anyway I like the tan on the skiff and plan to use it on the cabin sides. That's SD Buff and GB Beige. At the moment the three color combination is for all the decks excluding the cabin top. Foredeck, side walkways, aft cockpit including the sides inside the cockpit all the way fwd inbd below the cap rail. Also the Salon decks inside the cabin (they are dark green now).

Later I'll take some pics of the new colors and post.

Yesterday I mixed up a new color w 1 part SD Buff, 1 part GB Beige and one part white. All Interlux Brightside. Mixed up two other colors too. One is GB Beige and white. The other is SD buff, GB Beige and white ... equal parts. It's like the skiff but (as you would imagine) lighter. Light enough for a deck color ... I think. I intend to make a test patch of this same color w two parts white.

I mix spoonfulls of paint (small plastic (smaller than a regular teaspoon)) in a Yogurt container. Mix them up and paint the new color on old metal paint cans. It's amazing. On the metal I can't see any brush strokes at all. Must be the smoothness of the metal. Clean the brush and yogurt container and mix another color. It's kinda fun. Different kinds of light give different results. I prefer outside on a cloudy bright day.

What is all this about apps? I have no apps and don't see the need but I don't know what they are for. Oh I did have Navamatics but its only on Chris's i-pad now. Really liked that app.

Attachments

• STH71275 copy 2.jpg
    STH71275 copy 2.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 93
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 367
  • STH71257 copy.jpg
    STH71257 copy.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCF0744 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0744 copy 2.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF0744 copy 3.jpg
    DSCF0744 copy 3.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Eric, what do you post with?

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I would like to get just an off white with using the white white . What would you mix with it just to get the off white ? I have 2 gallons of the white .

Forklift,
Firefox

PM,
I mixed GB Beige w white and got an off white. It came out kind of a cool green or perhaps a green/grey. GB Beige is green. I don't know why they call it "Beige" as Beige is a light brown similar to tan. Later I'll post a pic of the GB Beige and White. My samples on the cans.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom