Voltage Regulators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeD

Vessel Name
Siesta
Vessel Make
Pelin Sterling 36
Guys,

On Siesta I have an older BEP ER3 '3 stage' voltage regulator that I am not able to adjust the voltage setpoints on.

Having recently installed new house batteries and a Victron battery monitor, I am finding in cases where the batteries are fully charged, e.g. leaving port for a cruise, that the charge voltage for the 'bulk stage' is sitting around 14.9V. I would be much more comfortable if this was lower i.e. under 14.6V.

Interestingly, I find that on starting the engine after a night at anchor I do not have this problem. I guess this is because the batteries are actually drawing charge from the alternator and voltage rises as the current reduces.

Anyway, I am now considering replacing the voltage regulator and have had the Ample Power NS2 regulator recommended to me.

I would be interested in any views or experience with the NS2 or any other recommendations for a replacement regulator before I make my purchase.

-Mike

Last edited:
I have a friend that has Ample Power NS2 regulator on his 55' Tayana sail boat. It has worked well for him. Its very simple. The status and diagnostic lights require the manual to determine what they are telling you. It based on the number of light flashes and flash rate.
I have purchased two Sterling regulators that I will install this winter as part of my alternator upgrade. I dont have a lot of info on reliability for the units. I just wasnt spending Balmar money on a regulator. Sterling ProReg-D Advanced Alternator Regulator

Attachments

• Sterling Reg.jpg
    Sterling Reg.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 787
Dave, thanks for the link. I will include this in my research.

-Mike

We don't the NS2 but we have 2 Ample Power voltage regulators in service now and had 2 on our last boat and in 16 years we have never had a failure.

After an evening of searching the internet I will probably go with the NS2 as it is available locally, although I don't have a price yet.

In the meantime, I plan to make sure that the house battery is partially discharged before we leave port and this should prevent the problem until I install the new regulator.

-Mike

We don't the NS2 but we have 2 Ample Power voltage regulators in service now and had 2 on our last boat and in 16 years we have never had a failure.

Thanks for the feedback.

-Mike

A regulator that is easy to dial up , (short engine run to next anchorage and you want to get to 85% quickly,)
and dial back (you know it will be 6-8 hours till stoping) will allow the easiest longest life for the house set.

A batt temp input is always a good idea.

FF, can you recommend a regulator that has the easy dial up feature?

Yes, I agree re: the temperature sensor.

Also, I have just received the local price for the NS2 and it is almost the same as a Balmar unit. So my options are now either the Balmar unit or perhaps I will buy the NS2 directly from the US and save $200!

Does anyone have any experience with Balmar regulators?

Thanks,
Mike

We have two Amplepower SAR V3 regulators, one each on the main and the DC genset. They are not inexpensive but have been 100% reliable for 9 years and are almost infinitely adjustable. We run all gel batteries which are now 18 years old and still perform to spec. I would certainly buy Amplepower again.

I don't have my model # at home but have an Ample Power regulator since about '91 or '92 with gel batteries, some of which are approaching 15 yrs

Note my reg. is old enough the AGM were not in the picture but the later models will take care of them.

Look for a save the bulbs feature , if a certain terminal is powered it lowers the charge voltage , so 12V bulbs are not burned out.

Have no specific recommendation of any brand , too many years since needing one.

A single solar takes care of all on board needs , propane reefer and range , no Air Cond.

I have a friend that has Ample Power NS2 regulator on his 55' Tayana sail boat. It has worked well for him. Its very simple. The status and diagnostic lights require the manual to determine what they are telling you. It based on the number of light flashes and flash rate.
I have purchased two Sterling regulators that I will install this winter as part of my alternator upgrade. I dont have a lot of info on reliability for the units. I just wasnt spending Balmar money on a regulator. Sterling ProReg-D Advanced Alternator Regulator

Finished the install yesturday. Two Sterling Proreg Ds and two 120/150 amp alternators. Lots of wires to run. The sytem has both battery and alternator temp sensing. Hope she lasts a long time. I will update if it has any problems.

Attachments

• SDC12972.jpg
    SDC12972.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 142
  • SDC12978.jpg
    SDC12978.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 122
  • SDC12974.jpg
    SDC12974.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 128
Way to go Dave. I have mine mounted on the wall, and ready to hook up. I am waitng until I upgrade the alternators to finish. Now, I am using an ACR to combine the batteries for charging from my 2 80 amp alternators.

I am very interested in how it works out. Please let us know.

Wiring diagram

Maybe this picture will make it easier for the next guy.

Attachments

• Frye Sterling reg setup 1.jpg
    Frye Sterling reg setup 1.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 241
Curious how everbody likes their Sterling regulators. Anybody had any issues with theirs?

Ted

Curious how everbody likes their Sterling regulators. Anybody had any issues with theirs?

Ted

Ted, I have now put about 100 hours on mine. Its not much for a longevity test. So I have limited experience with them. I am pleased with mine. I really like the led indications of everything on the unit. They have battery and alternator temperature protection. I had a loose negative terminal connection which caused a terminal to get hot. The Sterling shutdown the charging on high batt temp just like it was supposed to. It was easy to identify because of the regulator indicators. The only challenge I have had is with the alternator high temp shutdown that actuates at 194F. I have two 120/150amp small frame high output alternators that the manufacture says run at 255F when heavily loaded. I ducted two ER fans directly to the back of the alternators and that reduced the shutdowns on high temp significantly. I charge a 940amp-hr house bank with them. I have pulled 350 amp-hrs out of the bank and charged it back up in around 3 hours with the regulator setup. The charging starts at about 180 amps and then tapers as expected.

Dave, did you get the remote display / control unit or not bother?

Ted

Dave, did you get the remote display / control unit or not bother?

Ted

I considered it. Being an x-operator I like lots of indications but I decided that I needed two and they didn't fit my bridge layout. If I put them on the lower helm they would be a little redundant because that is where the Victron battery monitors are. If I see they are not charging I will just have to enter the ER and look at the lights.

I use an alternator controller from a company called Adverc in Birmingham, England.
The original alternator controller idea came from a Swedish television outside broadcast engineer who constantly had battery charging problems whose initials were TWC and his invention was patented and sold under as a 'TWC' unit.
Adverc in Birmingham bought the patents and further modified the units, all the units are built in Britain, the Sterling units are built in Taiwan.
Adverc units are very popular with ambulances, I first came across them because we had problems in our company with trucks using electrics for tail lifts.
I approached an ambulance manufacturer who gave me the information based on their successful usage.
Adverc are very helpful and can be contacted at techsales@adverc.com ask for Brian or Nicky, they also have an American division.
After trying several other types I write this as a 100% satisfied customer.
I have no financial connection with Adverc.

Back
Top Bottom