Hurricane protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JD

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Di Mare
Vessel Make
Mainship 34t
Here is something that came to mind on Saturday evening as I was enjoying a GT on the flybridge with the Admiral.

On the sailboats when we striped off all of the canvas,*the*helm canvas*was left in tack and a couple of lines were lashed around the bottom to keep it in place so the Chart plotter and other instruments at the helm were protected from rain.

When we strip the enclosure off of the bridge the only thing left to protect the chartplotter, radar and autopilot is a snap down cover.* I can not see a way to secure the cover other than the snaps that are in place.* Any suggestions?

-- Edited by JD on Monday 13th of September 2010 09:34:18 AM

How about a bungee cord at each corner? If the snaps fail, those may hold it in place, at least a little longer. During hurricane Ike, I just left mine in place with nothing extra and it survived just fine. I recorded max wind of around 80 mph where my boat was sitting.

Attachments

• twist stud.jpg
    twist stud.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 60
  • twist stud 2.jpg
    twist stud 2.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 57
  • grommet.jpg
    grommet.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 60
Thanks guys,

Walt,* I like the twists as well.* But the way this is fitted some will have to remain as snaps.

I may just use a couple of metal loops as tie downs and then crisscross some light line over the cover to keep it tied down tight.

Hopefully I won't have to worry about ti for a while.

Back
Top Bottom