It’s Showtime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The technology that allowed us to follow him just blows me away.

Agreed. :D

The fact that we could follow Dauntless across the ocean while sitting at home or work, heck with smart phones, we could check her position virtually, pun intended, from anywhere. Amazing.

The reality of being able to read weather data from the US, as well as Ireland and the UK, AND then be able to send that info to a guy bouncing around on a boat thousands of miles away is amazing. Or Magic. :lol:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
So said A. C. Clarke. :D

What is even freakier to realize is that the technology/magic we were using was NOT the best we could have been using. :eek: But it got the job done 160 characters at a time. :thumb:

If Richard had deep pockets he could have streamed us video of the 15 foot seas. :socool::rofl:

Even though I work with technology every single day, it still amazes me. My kids, not so much. :facepalm::D

Later,
Dan

I hope Richard took some comfort in knowing we were all following his progress. If he had gotten into trouble there wasn't much we could do but at least our collective knowledge would have been available to him.

The technology that allowed us to follow him just blows me away.

Too true... Collective knowledge can be a godsend. That is exactly why I'm here (versus some of the other sites) as the breadth and willingness to share what's known sets TrawlerForum apart from others.

And the Dauntless voyage has been epic. I'm glad she arrived safely in port. It's been a long journey and one that has firmly placed Dauntless into my vocabulary.

Thank you Richard and Julie for allowing me to take the trip with you. It's been a nail biter, and I am pleased all is well.

Congratulations.

On a lighter note, my wife picked me up after work.
On the drive home our son, approximately 2 1/2 years old, started to
crying, "They broked it. They broked it." He pointed at the moon.
It was not a full moon that night!

That's funny. My daughter was looking at the moon on a night trip we made many eons ago, and she thought the moon was following us. After all, other things went past us, or we passed them, but the moon always stayed up with us. Makes sense to a three year old I guess.

A special thanks to our "TF Communicators" who stayed in contact with Richard, and passed along the text messages. Voyages like this can turn from boredom to terror in an instant. This method of communication I feel kept from overloading Richard with messages. Great job guys.:thumb::thumb:

Double ditto!:thumb::thumb:

Too true... Collective knowledge can be a godsend. That is exactly why I'm here (versus some of the other sites) as the breadth and willingness to share what's known sets TrawlerForum apart from others.

And the Dauntless voyage has been epic. I'm glad she arrived safely in port. It's been a long journey and one that has firmly placed Dauntless into my vocabulary.

Thank you Richard and Julie for allowing me to take the trip with you. It's been a nail biter, and I am pleased all is well.

Congratulations.

Janice, not to take away anything from Richard's
journey but I must address the fact that your
decision to live aboard your boat as you've done is just as inspiring
to me as well. Dauntless (fearless) comes in many shapes
and sizes. Yours is as amazing to me for different reasons. IMO we must remember to be open minded to the many inspiring stories which surround us every day. Oceanic passages as well as individuals who demonstrate character and strength from the perspective of this armchair. It seems that all too
often the pace of life today has us less in awe of things
that just several years ago would be unbelievable.

Richard,
Congratulations doesn't quite sum it up but as you know sometimes words aren't enough. Bravo!!!!

I don't know about you guys, but for me that was a long stressful passage to say the least. I'm looking forward to getting some rest finally and relaxing. I might even have a tuna sandwich for lunch today.

Gee, I wonder how that Richard fellow is doing.

Anyway, these long ocean passages can really take it out of a guy. This is a strange strange world we live in. :) I honestly feel like I went through something this week.

And now some epic SLEEP!!

Will he get up before the sun goes down??????

Ok. Guys and gals, it's me.

I arrived at 01:30 this morning at Castletownbere. My new found friends Karel and Mi Jong, had had talked with Harbor Master and I had an easy dock space on a floating pier.

They were also waiting for me at that ungodly hour. Which was nice as I was exhausted and a bit sea sick, after two days of hellicious weather.

In fact, Castletownbere is home to 100 fishing boats and not one of them had been out the last two days.

In the last 12 hours, wx got continually worse, eventually building to 40kt winds and 12 to 15 foot waves.

When it became dark, the last 6 hours was the worst part of the entire passage.

Winds and waves were about 30° aft of my port beam. most of the time Dauntless would ride over the wave, even on her beam, with minor, 5° roll, but about every minute or so, the boat would be hit in such a combination that the stbd side was still heeled over when the second wave hit, which would cause the boat to slide down the face of the wave at 20 - 30° heel, then as the essentially broke under the boat, there works would be massive white water, sometimes coming over the stbd cap rail, but then she would roll onto even keel.

Every 5 minutes or so, while the boat was heeled over, a wave would break almost on her exposed port side hull, causing this big bang like I'd hit a rock.

Finally I accepted that Dauntless was handling these conditions far better than I and the was nothing I could do to make it better. (I'd already many different options gut course, speed and even auto pilot settings).

Thy last hour, crossing Bantry Bay, I even had heavy spray hit the pilot house windows, though a few times, the wind was blowing so hard that I saw spray illuminated by the forward nav light go straight across the bow and hardly wet anything.

In the end I just had to trust the Jim Krogen design and the Chien Hwa boat builders knew how to build a boat that could take me anywhere.

Adding to my stress, earlier that day, I thought I had about 10 to 20 gallons of fuel in the stbd tank, that I held as a reserve, while running from the port tank, I discovered that there was water in that tank.

Do now, not only did I have no reserve, but it wasn't clear to me if this was a Horta (only this tank was filled in Horta) problem or a decks awash issue.

So, when all is said and done, I really appreciated all the massive support I got from YOU folks. It did really help and I had so many people volunteer to help on any east they could.

Note, my InReach stopped giving me messages after 21:00 Z. It notified me of a msg, but no message. I'm grateful it happened so late because I really did need your help in just being there if nothing else.

Lastly, during the worst of it, water in the fuel, Paravane pole bent, I pictured the grief I would get, "oh yeah, we knew this guy, went almost all the way to Europe, but couldn't make the last 20 miles."
I'd live in infamy like the Buffalo Bills because of one little field goal.

I couldn't be the Marv Levy of Trawler Forum.

Thanks
As I recover, details to follow.

Update, my friends just showed me thier PocketGrib data, which correlates my locations with current weather.

As I passed Mizen Head at midnight, waves were 5.4 meters. :hide: sometimes it's best not to know.

I don't know about you guys, but for me that was a long stressful passage to say the least. I'm looking forward to getting some rest finally and relaxing. I might even have a tuna sandwich for lunch today.

Gee, I wonder how that Richard fellow is doing.

Richard is having some pie. He really wants a pecan pie. Not sure if he is going to get pecan pie in Ireland though. :rofl:

I looked for a place in the town he is anchored that could supply Mayo and Pie but I was not having much luck. I had some ideas but figured until he checks in it might be hard to get on board his boat.

Later,
Dan

Hopefully he will give a summary of what worked well and what didn't and what he would do differently.

Yes. Most definitely, in the coming days!

Richard is having some pie. He really wants a pecan pie. Not sure if he is going to get pecan pie in Ireland though. :rofl:
Later,
Dan

Maybe, but he's gonna get Shepherds Pie (or Cork Cottage Pie, as the case may be), perhaps the best on the planet, and I can't think of anything more warming after such an ordeal. Irish stew or corned beef and cabbage doesn't sound bad either. Dang, there's an Irish Pub serving that just minutes away.....I think I'll join you.

We'd all love to be there with you in celebration, Richard. A couple of pints would go well.

Last edited:
Good to see you post and know you made it safely.I was on the edge of my seat.I don't have the stuff to do what you're doing.Congrats on making that journey.Glad to have you back on the forum.I can't wait for future up dates.I am living vicariously through you. :thumb:

Ben

Ok. Guys and gals, it's me.

I arrived at 01:30 this morning at Castletownbere. My new found friends Karel and Mi Jong, had had talked with Harbor Master and I had an easy dock space on a floating pier.

They were also waiting for me at that ungodly hour. Which was nice as I was exhausted and a bit sea sick, after two days of hellicious weather.

In fact, Castletownbere is home to 100 fishing boats and not one of them had been out the last two days.

In the last 12 hours, wx got continually worse, eventually building to 40kt winds and 12 to 15 foot waves.

When it became dark, the last 6 hours was the worst part of the entire passage.

Winds and waves were about 30° aft of my port beam. most of the time Dauntless would ride over the wave, even on her beam, with minor, 5° roll, but about every minute or so, the boat would be hit in such a combination that the stbd side was still heeled over when the second wave hit, which would cause the boat to slide down the face of the wave at 20 - 30° heel, then as the essentially broke under the boat, there works would be massive white water, sometimes coming over the stbd cap rail, but then she would roll onto even keel.

Every 5 minutes or so, while the boat was heeled over, a wave would break almost on her exposed port side hull, causing this big bang like I'd hit a rock.

Finally I accepted that Dauntless was handling these conditions far better than I and the was nothing I could do to make it better. (I'd already many different options gut course, speed and even auto pilot settings).

Thy last hour, crossing Bantry Bay, I even had heavy spray hit the pilot house windows, though a few times, the wind was blowing so hard that I saw spray illuminated by the forward nav light go straight across the bow and hardly wet anything.

In the end I just had to trust the Jim Krogen design and the Chien Hwa boat builders knew how to build a boat that could take me anywhere.

Adding to my stress, earlier that day, I thought I had about 10 to 20 gallons of fuel in the stbd tank, that I held as a reserve, while running from the port tank, I discovered that there was water in that tank.

Do now, not only did I have no reserve, but it wasn't clear to me if this was a Horta (only this tank was filled in Horta) problem or a decks awash issue.

So, when all is said and done, I really appreciated all the massive support I got from YOU folks. It did really help and I had so many people volunteer to help on any east they could.

Note, my InReach stopped giving me messages after 21:00 Z. It notified me of a msg, but no message. I'm grateful it happened so late because I really did need your help in just being there if nothing else.

Lastly, during the worst of it, water in the fuel, Paravane pole bent, I pictured the grief I would get, "oh yeah, we knew this guy, went almost all the way to Europe, but couldn't make the last 20 miles."
I'd live in infamy like the Buffalo Bills because of one little field goal.

I couldn't be the Marv Levy of Trawler Forum.

Thanks
As I recover, details to follow.

Update, my friends just showed me thier PocketGrib data, which correlates my locations with current weather.

As I passed Mizen Head at midnight, waves were 5.4 meters. :hide: sometimes it's best not to know.

Ok Guys, he's safe. It's ok to breath again.

Richard I'm really impressed by this epic voyage. I can't wait to hear more details.
I'm also looking forward to hearing about the paravane pole. They looked pretty damn stout when you installed them. I have some ideas but that is for a later discussion.

Congratulations on a job well done!

It could be "normal wear and tear" on the paravane pole, just a life-times worth in one trip. I imagine lots of erratic stresses ain't good on the vanes.

It could be "normal wear and tear" on the paravane pole, just a life-times worth in one trip. I imagine lots of erratic stresses ain't good on the vanes.

It should be built better than that. Several days of hard use should not equal a life times. That kind of work out is what they should be designed for after all.

Of course at this point there is no telling what really went wrong with it.

But it does point out one of there weaknesses. That being if they fail you have to go out on deck, and perhaps up top too, deal with them in what can be very bad conditions.

Last edited:
If I ran one of the big USA boat shows I'd hire Richard, & cover all expenses, to give multiple programs of his Great Crossing. I see great entertainment plus educational value in his entire trip including preparation, well worth the price of admission.

A well produce documentary would also be appreciated.

Jude-If I were Larry Polster at KK, I would be paying Rich to be at every boat show-Ocean Crossing in Dauntless, a KK 42 by Rich and Julie! Especially the part where Rich says he realized he had to just rely on the Krogen design and the build quality of the boat (me paraphrasing Rich's post)

If I ran one of the big USA boat shows I'd hire Richard, & cover all expenses, to give multiple programs of his Great Crossing. I see great entertainment plus educational value in his entire trip including preparation, well worth the price of admission.

A well produce documentary would also be appreciated.

Richard could become the Laura Dekker of the Trawler community. I don't think he would look as good in a dress, but maybe. She adds to her cruising kitty giving presentations in Dutch, French, and English.

I do think the KK marketing department should contact Richard. I mean he has already hit a large targeted marketplace right here on TF.

Richard,

Does giving presentations like this one Youngest Cirvumnavigator to Sail Alone Around the World By Laura Dekker - ideacity appeal to you?

Last edited:
Bob-to me, for a company like KK, Rich and Julie have much more to offer than Dekker does, even with Richard not wearing a dress. Her trip was about her, not her boat. Ocean crossings, even solo, are not really that big a deal in small sailboats. Only her age when doing it gives it value. Rich and Julie did what not very many have done-take a small powered trawler across the Atlantic. Much closer to what many people who buy such boats envision and dream about, even though only a very, very few will ever actually do it. They can all hear Rich & Julie's story and know their boat could do it even if they can't. And they can learn just how much they can rely on the boat they buy even if they ever need to. How much mileage did Nordhavn get out of the 40' RTW trip they sponsored? And that trip was done with full company support available to the boat at all times during the trip. Rich and Julie (and the Oogachaka now in Sydney!) did it all on their own.

Bob-to me, for a company like KK, Rich and Julie have much more to offer than Dekker does, even with Richard not wearing a dress. Her trip was about her, not her boat. Ocean crossings, even solo, are not really that big a deal in small sailboats. Only her age when doing it gives it value. Rich and Julie did what not very many have done-take a small powered trawler across the Atlantic. Much closer to what many people who buy such boats envision and dream about, even though only a very, very few will ever actually do it. They can all hear Rich & Julie's story and know their boat could do it even if they can't. And they can learn just how much they can rely on the boat they buy even if they ever need to. How much mileage did Nordhavn get out of the 40' RTW trip they sponsored? And that trip was done with full company support available to the boat at all times during the trip. Rich and Julie (and the Oogachaka now in Sydney!) did it all on their own.

What you said is what I meant. It is presentations on the boat show circuit I was alluding to. Laura tells her story and gets paid. Richard in his story endorses the KK lineage by relating towards the end of his North Atlantic crossing when he was in the weather prone northern lats, he finally came to the realization that his KK could handle more than he could and was going to take care of him. To attendees at a trawler boat show, that is such a solid endorsement of KK.

A high point (pun intended) is the higher northern lats Richard did in his Kadey-Krogen on his Atlantic crossing vs a crossing to the Med. I'm sure Richard knows there is a big difference in weather and sea state from lat 36 N (Gibraltar and Med entrance) to the lats he motored through. That is what would make Richard's crossing so enticing to wannabes. They would think "He did it in northern lats so if I bought a Kadey-Krogen I should be able to cross over to the Med".

See my logic?

Last edited:
Thank you for mentioning Oogachaka, THD. I mean to take nothing away from the courageous crossing that Dauntless and crew just made, but this may have been one of the first "known members" of a large motorboat Forum that completed the crossing under the technologically able noses of its membership. Even after an announcement over on the KK site, there were very few comments. The enthusiasm was here.

There have been many KK crossings, not to mention Nordhavn and numerous other brands of boats. I don't know of any single-handed pleasure boat passages that were as present in time for so many followers, and therefore as exciting and nerve-wracking as this one. It was a great armchair experience a lot of us won't forget, me included.

I don't know of any single-handed pleasure boat passages that were as present in time for so many followers, and therefore as exciting and nerve-wracking as this one. It was a great armchair experience a lot of us won't forget, me included.
Too true, and at 21 pages, a fascinating trip. [I have my posts per page set at 50 so I don't have to flip through pages quite so often. It's in User CP (control panel) and has been a big help in following this journey.]

Richard and Julie have done what few will do and I admire the Dauntless spirit they've displayed. Some boats are named perfectly. Their KK certainly is! I'm looking forward to the review of what went well, and what could have been better.

Absolutely epic. Bravo Zulu Richard and Julie. I have said in the past how much I have admired the 42KK but the Admiral is not a so much a fan, but this trip has me thinking of listing mine and saving up for KK. I have no intention of making a crossing such as this, but down island would be nice and I know the 42 could do it without breaking a sweat. Again Congrats on a hell of a journey.

We should really name it the Dauntless Diet Program.

Since we've had her, I've lost 15lbs before this trip. I think I've lost another 5 to 10 lbs.

Remember, today was the first day in 11 days eddy I had to put on real clothes. The last two days I only had a candy bar each day.

Also, a few things that pop into my head. Many nights, dozing off on the pilot house bench, I felt like on was on a plane, flying to Europe on a red eye flight, as I've done 50 times in the last 20 years.
The total darkness outside, the steady drone of the engine, the rocking of the boat, was just like the turbulence one encounters flying in the jet stream. Maybe it's how our minds react to new, scary things.

After the fact, I learned some interesting things today:
I was surprised how far east the boat drifted in the 10 min it took me to retrieve the Paravanes.

While it doesn't surprise me that the last few hours were spent in 16 ft. waves, I could tell the boat was acting differently, I'm glad I didn't know. It's hard to describe my angst.

Doing this part alone made it really hard, since without another person to talk you down of the ledge, your imagination gets more and more extreme. A few times I was sure I heard voices. It was only later that I figured out it was the sink drain that sounds like mumbling, as water rushes past the drain outlet.

Being able to communicate with you guys, made such a difference.

This was the first time, ever, that I was afraid to go on deck, even after I'd lost a bench seat cushion.

I just figured out how the pole got bent.
First, this pole was already bent, ) in another mishap caused by me) not much, but enough that the end was a foot higher than the other pole. John Duffy, who installed them, told me I needed to either replace it or I could simply cut one foot off, as the bend substantially reduced its strength. I did neither.

But because of the bend, this pole also had a tendency to bounce into a vertical position. It had already done it once just a few hours earlier. So, picture this, the boat rolls rapidly to port, this causes the port pole to bouce upright since its end is unloaded. Now pole is vertical, all the force from the bird is directed straight down.
Once vertical, it stays vertical until I push it back out, just as I had done NUMEROUS times already, ever since the bending.
Now as the boat starts its next roll to starboard, the force of the bird is straight down, but due to the bend, the top of the pole is no longer directly above its base, it's off by a foot. So as the boat rolls again to stbd, the pole is being compressed. A straight piece can take a high compression load, a curved piece can't.

That's why John told me I had to replace it or cut off bent part.

Maybe if he had drawn me a picture, I would not have found myself on the fly bridge for what seemed like forever, getting the pole out of the water, add the boat is time rolling 30° and I'm hanging in for dear life.

Even writing it, I'm at a loss for words, as to how stupid I was.

So, thanks for listening.

ForumRunner_20140830_012205.jpg

I can sleep now.

Great voyage
Great TF and all the posts
Great ship KK
Great sailors(Richard and Julie)
Great to see you safe in port!

Let us not forget kudos to Mssrs. Ford and Lehman. Great engine.

Thanks Richard by telling your story so frankly. It helps us all learn.

Let us not forget kudos to Mssrs. Ford and Lehman.
Good observation Don. I understood certain engines are rated for long/constant running( like JD, Gardiner etc), at the risk of upsetting Bob and Brian, I don`t think the FL was one of them. Now we know different. Of course good maintenance is a vital component.

Back
Top Bottom