Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well it's close, but not really Caprice. Traveler looks like she was built from the Weston Farmer plans for a 26' Elco Elco 26

Here's Caprice long ago.....She was 25' by 6.5', imagine spending whole summers in such a tiny boat alone with 5 kids and a cranky little Kermath gas engine.....

View attachment 32387

Interesting...My Grandfather had a 50' Elco named Caprice..this was in the late 1950s.

The Coastal Queen

I’ve seen this beauty in Florida, South Carolina, and North Carolina, a couple of years apart.

Like a true “lady” she really “gets around”. KJ

1429-albums131-picture1582.jpg

1429-albums131-picture853.jpg

1429-albums131-picture852.jpg

She's a sweetheart, KJ. I recall you posting her picture a year or so ago.:thumb:

She's a sweetheart, KJ. I recall you posting her picture a year or so ago.:thumb:

Yeah, I just love her lines.

I saw her a couple of months ago heading up Adams Creek, NC.

Her skipper/owner won some kind of award for saving a boaters life with the Coastal Queen. KJ

The Coastal Queen

I’ve seen this beauty in Florida, South Carolina, and North Carolina, a couple of years apart.

Like a true “lady” she really “gets around”. KJ

Yes, I can testify to the beauty and condition of this boat. As I was heading north on the ICW, maybe 18 months ago, she was waiting for a bridge opening southbound as I passed under the bridge heading north. She is the only vessel I ever turned around for.....circling to get some good photos, all of which were lost when the camera went into the drink. Thanks for reminding me how gorgeous she was.

Attachments

• user1429_pic1582_1409276648.jpg
    user1429_pic1582_1409276648.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
The David B, last summer at Bishop Bay hot springs, north coast BC;

Attachments

• David B, Bishop Bay.jpg
    David B, Bishop Bay.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 118
Just took this photo of her 10 minutes ago. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1409332109.494749.jpg

I ran across this beautiful red-hulled pilot house trawler at its home dock in Picton, ON, while cruising the Trent Severn earlier this summer.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=260449&postcount=613

In asking around, I learned a local high school principal had the hull made and then finished the interior and mechanicals by himself.

What a great job! Doesn't it tug at your heart?

Reminds me very much of the Pilgrim 40 style:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/redesigning-pilgrim-40-trawler-canal-boat-11212.html

Last edited:
Last edited:
Very curvy, stylish vessel. The flying bridge is always a bit overwhelming on smaller boats, but it's still a nice job.

I've never liked a flying bridge on a Monterrey though I understand some where so equipped for particular fisheries.

Once when the David B was hauled out in the Seaview North yard in Bellingham we noticed the engine was running. Went into the yard and over to the boat. There was a garden hose running up into the cabin. I remarked to one of the people working on the boat that I was surprised the engine need so little water for cooling. He invited me to climb the (long) ladder to the deck and then down into the engine room to see the engine. It was quite an experience to stand next to the thing with all its external moving parts--- pushrods, rockers, flyball governor whirling around.

I was down there for maybe 45 minutes while their engineer explained the workings of the whole engine. Very cool experience.

Even in the large, sometimes noisy Squalicum Marina, when the David B is running over in the commercial basin the sound of its engine is so distinctive it always stands out.

Marin- When a young fellow of the age 15, I was employed on a fishing boat called the "Nestor". It had a three cyl. 65 hp. Atlas. Coming down Clarence straits during a hellish Southeast one of the nuts holding a valve push rod came undone. The skipper had me come down into the engine room to hold the Coleman lantern while he fished the nut out of the bilge and re-thread it. We did this while the engine was running! Due to the storm and our location, he could not stop the engine. As the engine idled at about 50 RPM or less, though it seemed to be running at top speed as one watched the skipper going up and down with the push rod and attempting to thread the nut. The engine room was damn warm, the boat rolling, fish smell and one scared young man,
I thought of this remembrance as I listened to the video of the David B.
Good times!
Al

Seen in Port Townsend.

Attachments

• Camera roll Sept 2014 183.jpg
    Camera roll Sept 2014 183.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 111
Once when the David B was hauled out in the Seaview North yard in Bellingham we noticed the engine was running. Went into the yard and over to the boat. There was a garden hose running up into the cabin. I remarked to one of the people working on the boat that I was surprised the engine need so little water for cooling. He invited me to climb the (long) ladder to the deck and then down into the engine room to see the engine. It was quite an experience to stand next to the thing with all its external moving parts--- pushrods, rockers, flyball governor whirling around.

I was down there for maybe 45 minutes while their engineer explained the workings of the whole engine. Very cool experience.

Even in the large, sometimes noisy Squalicum Marina, when the David B is running over in the commercial basin the sound of its engine is so distinctive it always stands out.

100 hp @ 325 rpm, that will have a unique sound when at idle of about 50 rpm. The vessels I spent most of my time on were about 40,000 hp @ 112 rpm. Did spend some time on a medium speed diesel with a top engine speed of 450 rpm and a high speed diesel/electric whereas the diesels ran at 900 rpm.

I'd Bet this rig has been featured in his forum as some point. Within all of us there has to be a drawing towards the allure of traditional heavy cruising yachts of yore, fore runners of the current trawlers.

Orange Coast Yachts

Al

I've seen that Monterrey Clipper in Anacortes several times. Looks overloaded. Not that fond of it. Looks like it was groomed to be cute.

If it's the enine I think it is that would be the one I wanted for Willy but just before I bellied up to the bar they dropped it from the line. Was about 150 lbs heavier than what I bought and was rated at 42hp @ 2500rpm. With a cast iron exhaust manifold.

That Blanchard LRC at Orange Yachts is the spitting image of my Pilgrim 40 scaled down!

Here's a new listing that certainly would qualify as an "interesting boat"...
American Marine Chantyman
4807375_20140905161726564_1_XLARGE.jpg

Someone has certainly put a lot of time, money and devotion into getting a 1963 woody into this kind of shape:
4807375_20140905150835904_1_XLARGE.jpg

Interesting PH windows! I know it's not every day you end up with waves on the windscreen, but that sure does look like a lot of surface area, no? Fantastic view most days, but should one we worried about the 1% day?
4807375_20140905161635816_1_XLARGE.jpg

What me worry?

Can't imagine a wave getting over that bow unless there's way too much ground tackle weight up there. No. I wouldn't worry about the windows. Only if you damaged one of those curved segments. The Willard 36 is similar. But I really like good visibility. On this boat I'd be inclined to be more concerned about the CG being too high if one really wanted to worry about something .. but it probably isn't.

I really like the boat. It reminds me of this boat ..

Attachments

• DSCF0567 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0567 copy 2.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. A. Interesting indeed-thanks but holy cow $282K for a 35'? Would HAVE to be for exactly the right buyer. From the pictures that vessel is boat show winner material.

What me worry? Can't imagine a wave getting over that bow unless there's way too much ground tackle weight up there.

:rofl:

I looked again at some other angles.... you are correct - there is a whole lot of bow on that boat!

Very nice older woodie that someone else has already brought up into modern shape.

That Blanchard LRC at Orange Yachts is the spitting image of my Pilgrim 40 scaled down!

I was thinking that same thing about the similar looks,....except for the scaling observation ;)

Pilgrim 40
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/redesigning-pilgrim-40-trawler-canal-boat-11212.html

original quote...
I'd Bet this rig has been featured in his forum as some point. Within all of us there has to be a drawing towards the allure of traditional heavy cruising yachts of yore, fore runners of the current trawlers.
Orange Coast Yachts

Back
Top Bottom