Newer member/first post

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Straycat... no idea how the survey went but from the pics it looks like a keeper

biggrin.gif
Survey went very well, and we are close to ecstatic about our new home/boat. *We are looking forward to the Great Loop next year. *I want to thank all of you for the helpful observations and great welcome here. *It's a great site, and the other comment segments are entertaining. *Anchoring and politics; whocoodaknown! *Rick Cass, SloPoke

The survey was a success and the sale has been finalised. We are now the owners of a Prairie 29, hull number 8, her present name is Miss Money,new name not yet agreed upon. Given the issues of concern, no use in five years and very limited before that, we have decided to have her shipped across the state from Tampa to merritt Island. It is cheaper, and involves less time, not to mention concerns re: systems left unused for so long. Good news is she is a one owner. The PO have had a wonderful time with the boat, including trip to Puerto Rico, for a three year job transfer and a three day stay in Cuba. Very nice people, age and health have forced their hand. They were emotional when we departed their home.

There were no major concerns in the survey, just areas of general maintance and updateing that need attention. The perkins 4-108 runs great and has been well cared for. The generator is a Koller 4.8 with a 100hrs use. Ac is mermaid reverse cycle Marine Ac,new a few years back.

We plan to spend a few months cleaning, upgradeing and* preparing her for a new life on ICW. Any suggestions will always be appreciated.

John

-- Edited by Sortie on Sunday 12th of September 2010 02:06:09 PM

Congrats! I know you'll love her! One thing I did when I got my boat (single engine) was to replace everything rubber on the engine. Hoses, belts, high pressure oil lines, etc. That way you know they're all in good shape, you know how to do it, you know you have the correct tools, and if the old ones were in at least fair shape, you now have spares.

Don't make too many major upgrades or changes for awhile, until you understand what you have vs. what you need and want.

Keith, That is number one thing on the list, and a strong recomendation from the surveyor.

There are not any changes planned,except electronics upgrades. The rest is updateing, bunk cushions, dinnette and sette cushions all orginial, some interior painting and replace the carpet with hardwood.

Thanks,

John

Keith,

"One thing I did when I got my boat (single engine)"

What on earth does "single engine " have to do w the price of wheat.

His was as well. People with single engine boats tend to take much better care of them. People with twins usually go "oh, if one breaks down, I'll just get home on the other one".

Keith

"People with twins usually go "oh, if one breaks down, I'll just get home on the other one".

Not true at all. reliability of twins doesn't depend on having a spare engine, it depends on thorough maintenance. If one neglects an engine so that it will fail, there is a very good chance there isn't a spare, as it has been neglected just as much.

I have been trying to think of a generalized group who would fit your statement, but I can't, cause I am sure they don't exist. Not even the little boat group. Not even sailors, whos engines could be said to be redundant.

Keith

I remember when I was a gang glider pilot. Suddenly there was a new safety device available * *...the hand deploy parachute. I never did get one. And I never did need one but i'm sure at least most of the fliers that had them also had preflights that were something less than they were before the parachutes. I've always wondered if the parachutes had a positive or negative effect on safety. I go to some wild places and sometimes nasty weather that makes me think of my recent maintenance. I know I worry often enough to give a bit more effort to my engine maintenance * * *....my single engine.

Thats a good one Keith. It has been awhile since the debate of 1 vs 2 surfaced. I enjoyed*spending time with*a new Krogen 58 owner this summer and hearing his rationale of* 1 vs 2 engines. He went with 2 of course because he is very smart and a good Catholic too!! As you know, it is Krogen's flagship model.

nomadwilly wrote:

And I never did need one but i'm sure at least most of the fliers that had them also had preflights that were something less than they were before the parachutes.
I very much doubt it.* Every twin-engine and four-engine airplane pilot I know does as thorough a preflight with two or four engines as they do with one.* Same with boat engines.* I check our two engines as carefully as I did when we chartered a boat with one engine, or when we run a narrowboat in the UK with one engine or when we use our Arima that has one main engine.

No one wants an emergency even if they have the means to deal with it.* I don't want to come home on one engine in the GB even though we have two.* We've had to do it three times in the past 12 years and it's not a fun proposition.* I don't know any twin-engine boat operator who says or acts as though having two is justification for poorer maintenance or less-thorough inspections.

We don't double the oil change intervals or skimp on changing filters or injection pump oil or inspecting belts and hoses on our boat because we have two engines.* We do everything we'd do if we only had one engine--- we just do it twice.* I have never said to myself, "I won't make that check (or I'll let that go awhile longer) because we have a second engine."

sunchaser wrote:

Thats a good one Keith. It has been awhile since the debate of 1 vs 2 surfaced. I enjoyed*spending time with*a new Krogen 58 owner this summer and hearing his rationale of* 1 vs 2 engines. He went with 2 of course because he is very smart and a good Catholic too!! As you know, it is Krogen's flagship model.
Yea, the traitors!
smile.gif
*They actually made a few Krogen 42's with twins at the insistence of the buyers and over the resistance of Mr. Krogen. I think they bent to the market wanting twins "for safety and backup".

And I'll stick by my earlier comment. I see people around here all the time spinning out raw water impellers on one engine because they just run them 'till they fail, then get home on the other engine. Same with fuel filters, belts, etc. Which reminds me... about time to change the belts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom