Bay of Campeche

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

Guru
Vessel Name
Gumbo
Vessel Make
2003 Monk 36
I enjoy reading cruise logs and have seen plenty on the Bahamas, Caribbean Pacific etc. but don't remember seeing any on trawlers cruising down the East coast of Mexico, Tampico, Veracruz and so on. Has any one on this forum made the trip? Any comments, suggestions?
Steve

Steve,
I am very interested in the east coast of Mexico also. I look forward to hearing any experiences that may be posted. Why NOT cruise the easy coast??
Steve

If I'm not mistaken, there was a pretty extensive article about such a trip in PM maybe 5-6 months back.

I have flown over it many times. I can say that South of Tampico down to Vera Cruz and then SOuth, it is very pretty. Believe it or not, some fault line(maybe the East side of the Rockies at the skinny part of Mex) gives the coastline down there some relief. Mix that with some tropicalness and you have hilly green coastline....quite pretty.

It's my understanding that there are very few ports of refuge in the southern portion of Campeche.* Get the charts and look it over.* Most of us jump from the northern coast to Isla Mujeres.*

If you want to see something desolate, take a look at Contoy light as you pass.* Humphrey Bogart would have been happy there in some of his African desert roles.

If you do make the jump, when you reach Contoy, stay at 60 feet on the sounder to miss the north bound stream.* This is a safe approach all the way to Puerto Morales.* At PM, you can jump across the stream to Cozumel, but do it in the daytime.* Our first time was at night.* Your best shot at a marina is probably at Isla.

DS

Now we are gettin' started. DS, you have sailed in this area?
Steve

Forkliftt, Ive made some 12 to 14 round trips to Cozumel and Isla over the past 40 years.* Some of the trips to Cozumel were so long ago that Cancun was only a sand dune.* Cozumel is my favorite in that the population is primarily Mayan.* The Mayans are (or were) intensly proud and excruciatingly honest people that I enjoyed being around and with.* Cozumel also had the advantage of being an island, not all that easlily accessible, and was more readily policed.

The waters in the area are incredibly clear.* I've looked at my boat from a quarter mile away, under water, and could tell that the rudder was slightly cocked.* There are no coral heads in the approaches to the sportsman's harbor and depths are 15 feet or more.* You could read a newspaper at 40 feet.

The approach to the Yucatan is as I told you and the 10 fathom curve is golden.* Isla has a pretty good marina on the east side*of the island that is well protected.* The one on the north end can be pretty exciting in any kind of a blow.* We had to move out with wave of about 4 feet.* At the time, the piers there were pretty rickety.* Remember that the Yucatan is not noted for tall, straight trees.* The approach to Isla is well marked, and care should be exercised in following the charted data.* The people of Isla are more sophisticated that those of Cozumel, but for the most part still very nice.* Isla does have the advantage of being in easy reach of Cancun (I know nothing of the marina situation there) and the site of Garafon Reef (on the southern end of Isla) that is world renowned for snorkeling.* It is, unfortunately, on every tour schedule so can be difficult.

DS

Bay of Campeche East Coast of Mexico

Forkliftt, Ive made some 12 to 14 round trips to Cozumel and Isla over the past 40 years.* Some of the trips to Cozumel were so long ago that Cancun was only a sand dune.* Cozumel is my favorite in that the population is primarily Mayan.* The Mayans are (or were) intensly proud and excruciatingly honest people that I enjoyed being around and with.* Cozumel also had the advantage of being an island, not all that easlily accessible, and was more readily policed.

The waters in the area are incredibly clear.* I've looked at my boat from a quarter mile away, under water, and could tell that the rudder was slightly cocked.* There are no coral heads in the approaches to the sportsman's harbor and depths are 15 feet or more.* You could read a newspaper at 40 feet.

The approach to the Yucatan is as I told you and the 10 fathom curve is golden.* Isla has a pretty good marina on the east side*of the island that is well protected.* The one on the north end can be pretty exciting in any kind of a blow.* We had to move out with wave of about 4 feet.* At the time, the piers there were pretty rickety.* Remember that the Yucatan is not noted for tall, straight trees.* The approach to Isla is well marked, and care should be exercised in following the charted data.* The people of Isla are more sophisticated that those of Cozumel, but for the most part still very nice.* Isla does have the advantage of being in easy reach of Cancun (I know nothing of the marina situation there) and the site of Garafon Reef (on the southern end of Isla) that is world renowned for snorkeling.* It is, unfortunately, on every tour schedule so can be difficult.

DS
======================================
This is an old thread, thought will repost perhaps there are new updates on members that may have done this part of the coast after the initial post.
I am interested on what is available between the gulf coast and Isla Mujeres.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom