It’s Showtime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well from his last two position updates it looks like he can actually hold a northerly course in those seas.

as of right now I'm showing him to be 21 nm from baltimore and 33 nm from casteltoenbere.

If he can hold that heading he will be in port soon!

Dauntless just showed up on vesselfinder.com

Nothing on marinetraffic.com yet.

Yeah, got him. Lots of other ships out there.

From Dauntless 2:43pm,est:

I got your msg after I had sent mine.
The sea state stinks. With 25 to 35 kt winds all day, the seas are as big or bigger then yest (Yesterday)

Spending a half hour on the fly bridge earlier dealing with the bent pole, gave me a ride that I would be afraid of in Coney Island

I'm dragging along very slowly, only making 6kt, when I should be going 7+ I'm heading Castletownbere, where a dock awaits

I'll make a video do you see what I'm dealing with every minute.

Richard Bost sent this message from:
Lat 51.009157 Lon -9.797187

Just sent Dauntless 2 messages:
3:48pm, est
Looking at trawler forum, it reminds me of a football game, the running back broke free, heading for a touch town. The forum is in the stands cheering you on.

3:50pm, est
You are also now seen on vessel finder.
Leaving work, going home to watch my favorite show, YOU!!
Be safe in the last few miles!

And time to text. Wow.

I can barely text on my danged smart phone sitting in a chair that ain't moving. Richard is somehow texting on the E Ticket Ride he is on! :rofl:

I am sure my kids could text on the Dauntless E Ticket Ride but I am not sure I could! :D:D:D

Later,
Dan

Using the scale on VesselFinder, 2"=50km, looks like he's got about 45 miles to go, as the crow flies.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-08-28 at 1.11.41 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-08-28 at 1.11.41 PM.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 79
My Admiral's phone has voice recognition on it. Maybe Don has one of those so he doesn't have to type. I know for sure, it's already difficult enough for me to get it right while I'm lounging in my arm chair. If I ever do a crossing (doubtful), I'll make sure to have that voice software.

I have the voice recognition on my phone, works great till things get noisy, like engine, howling wind, boat bumps from nowhere.

Just took a Google tour around the harbor. That ain't no Long Boat Key Moorings, Larry. That is a working harbor.

By the way, don't be surprised (or panic) if he drops off of these internet AIS tracking sites. He'll show up again later.

They all have different dead zones, as evidenced by vesselfinder tracking him now, and marinetraffic not tracking him now. May change the other way around later.

He's turned a bit to the NW and slowed to under 4kts. Got to think he's slogging through it now. Hope his paravane is not giving him more problems.

14nm to go! straight line, maybe 18nm entering harbor?

Will Richard be restricted to Dauntless until he clears customs?

I exchanged text with Richard about 4PM est. He mentioned:
"Also in changing the fuel polishing filter , the tank I thought had about 10 left has water in it. The other tank started the day with at least 50. But this is not the place to have problems. Also the other tank would serve as a reserve. No more.

Well the good news is I have 400' of anchor chain plus 800' of rode and the water is only 350'deep. But it won't come to that. D and I will just take our pounding as a reminder that if it was easy everyone would do it"

Are you guys as obsessed about this as I am? I must have checked on him at least a dozen times today while I should have been working.
I think I'll go home now and check some more.

Are you guys as obsessed about this as I am? I must have checked on him at least a dozen times today while I should have been working.

Ditto, and I'm home, clicking Refresh regularly.

This could be a reality show I'd watch. Beats naked and afraid ... I think...

The word obsessed does not cover it enough..........:thumb:
Must check about 50 times a day, I need to get a life.......:facepalm:

Yes, I check in on Richard's progress several times throughout the day. Glad he's in sight of land and almost there. It feels like he's limping into port but I'm sure he's got a huge grin of satisfaction on his face. What an accomplishment!

I'm kind-of wondering how his Admiral is in all of this. I mean, she must be following and texting as we are, etc.. My Admiral just called from Germany to get an update.

We must have set a record for posting on a single thread today.

Back
Top Bottom