An Anchor Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't sweat it Art, I'll take one for the team and am willing to be the beta tester for the Aussie hook in the California Delta. Besides, I can't find(what I would consider to be) an attractive way to make my new Fortress FX-17 self deploy on my boat.

Craig - Thanks! Can't wait to hear your report(s)!

Something else worth considering in all this anchor talk - sort of puts it in perspective and helps explain why most folk are still happy with whatever they use, and that is….
There are some places and conditions it is ridiculous to even consider anchoring in, and I'm not just referring to the bottom type.

We automatically exercise our survival instinct in these situations, and change our plans accordingly. We exercise our seamanship to avoid unnecessarily testing fate…and our anchor..by subjecting them to extreme conditions, and most of us get it right, most of the time.

I though it might be worth re-posting this from several pages back, because I think it does explain why most people still swear by the anchor they have, and why it is not necessary to dash out and change something for change's sake. (Hey psneeld gave it the thumbs up, so that must mean something..).

However, if you have been let down by your anchor, often it is because the bottom encountered at that time was not suitable for it. (As I was with my CQR over weed, enough times to make me look elsewhere).

As BruceK posted just a few posts above above, progress happens, improvements are made, and the significant improvement found on this new type of anchor, such as Moonstruck has just obtained, is the consistently fast setting and multi-bottom capability, lessening the amount of hardware one has to truck around/swap over etc.

Pleased to see Craig is going to take the plunge soon also, and we are all going to enjoy hearing their experiences with them over time. We look forward to feedback guys. I think we downunderians can just sit back and shut up now.

Last edited:
I was in a marine salvage place today in Sarasota, FL, and saw this familiar styled (but strangely named) anchor. I never knew Manson had such an anchor, called the "Manson Racer". All aluminum. This one was 20 lb. for 350 bucks. Looked unused.

Attachments

• manson.jpg
    manson.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I was in a marine salvage place today in Sarasota, FL, and saw this familiar styled (but strangely named) anchor. I never knew Manson had such an anchor, called the "Manson Racer". All aluminum. This one was 20 lb. for 350 bucks. Looked unused.

Apparently, they were developed to fill a need for a lightweight anchor that met yacht racing rules and they seem to be accepted as such by NZ and Oz racing authorities (but do not quote me on this - check!). Being NZ made they offer opportunity to support 'buy local'. To put in perspective, Fortress are standard equipment on the Volvo race and are the preferred option, or only choice with a few Guardians, on the Vendee Globe etc I think the Racer only comes in smaller sizes and is not demountable. They have been around, down-under, for a few years now.

I have never seen a test on one and I have never met anyone who has actually used one. The bobbles on the end of the stock are to reduce the chance of them being caught up in and damaging sails.

Saw that there too a few weeks ago. Since Marine Surplus seems to sell more and more new stuff these days I'd bet it is brand new.

They probably widened the fluke separation to give a bit more stability that was lost w the short stock. That gaping hole between the flukes could swallow a sizable rock and stress the structure perhaps to the bending point not to mention the immediate loss of holding power. Finding a rock big enough even a Navy anchor can swallow a rock.

I've seen the Racer on the Manson site for about 6 years when I bought my Supreme.

Last edited:
What you seem to forget is the "racer" anchors are never intended to be used in the traditional sense. They are intended to satisfy the rules for the regatta being raced.

In that light, a 20 year old anchor can appear brand new as it was likely never deployed.

What you seem to forget is the "racer" anchors are never intended to be used in the traditional sense. They are intended to satisfy the rules for the regatta being raced.

In that light, a 20 year old anchor can appear brand new as it was likely never deployed.

Hmmm. Good point. I suppose that if I needed a "racer" anchor, I wouldn't use it either Still, it's pretty spiffy looking and would make nice jewelry on the bow rail.

Hmmm. Good point. I suppose that if I needed a "racer" anchor, I wouldn't use it either Still, it's pretty spiffy looking and would make nice jewelry on the bow rail.

But you don't appear to be the kind of boater who would waste a bow mounting for "jewelry" rather than an anchor you trusted.

Dave and Craig,
Just buy a Fortress and anodize it blue.

Hmmmm, a racing anchor on the bow of a Manatee, eh? Now, you're talking!:dance:

But you don't appear to be the kind of boater who would waste a bow mounting for "jewelry" rather than an anchor you trusted.

Don't tell anyone, Mark, but when I go to the marine salvage stores, I always look longingly at the SS anchors. I'm practical, my boat is practical, my truck is practical, my needs are practical......let's face it, I'm a boring guy.

The bow jewelry idea is probably just a frustrated cry for help.;....yes.....to just have those girls in bikinis simply ask themselves the question: "Wow, does this guy have more going on than meets the eye".?

Meanwhile, I've got my Fortress hanging off my bow rail just as grey and conservative as the rest of the boat.:ermm:

Hmmmm, a racing anchor on the bow of a Manatee, eh? Now, you're talking!:dance:

There ya go,...see what I mean. If that's not testimony to ZERO potential, I don't know what is. Meanwhile, Don has the newly glossed, eye-catching, high- powered swoon machine that speaks of obvious potential (that is until you actually get to meet Don).:hide:

There ya go,...see what I mean. If that's not testimony to ZERO potential, I don't know what is. Meanwhile, Don has the newly glossed, eye-catching, high- powered swoon machine that speaks of obvious potential (that is until you actually get to meet Don).:hide:

Larry, you shouldn't have pulled back the curtain. Now, everyone can see it's just me pulling the strings.:eek::mad::nonono:

Greetings- It is high time to speak!!:flowers: This continuing and never ending thread on the subject of anchors among repetitive threads, brings out what is so impressive with the Trawler Forum. The compares. (little spanish lingo there):D with the witty give and take, sharing of information, and the personal relationships that are shared do bring a smile and enjoyment.:lol:
Each day's reading and email notices are truly to look foreword to, particularly after being absent from computer access.
Thanks to all for the entertainment

Al-Ketchikan(Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska:angel:

Dave and Craig,

Just buy a Fortress and anodize it blue.

Eric,

Now that's a great idea. More Boomarang Bling! Since my anchor is at eye level, might as well make it nice to look at......

Larry

Sure .....
Dosn't cost that much and the best colors are gold, blue and clear. Fortress is probably anodized clear. Green and red ano dosn't look as good as blue and gold. And all can be done lightly or heavy ... light or dark color.

Other aluminum parts on your boat can also be anodized. As long as it isn't't too big ..... masts need not apply.

Last edited:
Here's a laugh for ya! But, there is method to my madness... and... it works very well for SF Delta Slough/Island needs apparent!!

The following link to an itty bitty (silly little) anchor is what I use when bow is pulled firmly into tules on any SF Delta island edge where water depth goes from “0” feet to 10 +/- feet in 6 +/- foot horizontal travel. By rear of boat 20’ +/- depth is the norm (this island edge depth pattern happens on lee side of island current flows in “curved” sloughs). I have 5/8” line attached to this super lightweight anchor and play cowboy by standing at bow nose and throwing (flinging some 40’) the anchor into island’s mass of tule and bush/small-tree growth. Then I pull back by hand till it fetches. Then I pull back tighter with windless till it is so firmly hooked into top-growth that it cannot be retrieved in that manner. I then let out a few more feet of line and back boat away from edge of island. For anchor removal I simply back down with boat till anchor is pulled free and haul it in to stow for next trip to an island edge.

Sears.com

The following Popular Science article depicts (pictures included) the “Viking” (old school) aluminum anchor I use as rear-anchor when required. It’s light weight and has good holding power in mud much like a Fortress anchor; but, Viking does not have 45 degree shank to fluke angle capability (such as the Fortress does). I have 10’ chain and couple hundred feet 5/8 line that sits in a mobile feed box for easy deployment and line storage during retrieval. Nice heavy duty SS clip is attached to the chain end so the rode and anchor can be easily stowed separately. When not used the Viking anchor sits in rail hooks on bow and rode/chain box stores on fly bridge.

http://books.google.com/books?id=FAEAAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA46&lpg=PA46&dq=viking+anchor+aluminum&source=bl&ots=nKGuA_VoGN&sig=IPpOnptxASoPgQRu_Bs_oyOzM5Q&hl=en&sa=X&ei=QuAFVPSHNIy7ggT98YD4Bg&ved=0CDwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=viking%20anchor%20aluminum&f=false

In addition: I have 25 lb. and 30 lb. Danforths ready to deploy if needed.

Still thinking about purchasing a Fortress FX-23 because of its 45 degree shank to fluke angle capability. I believe that angle should hold best in SF Delta mud. There is an FX-16 on boat couple slips down… Viking we currently use has more sq. inch that it does on flukes.

Happy Anchor Daze! - Art :dance: :speed boat:

Last edited:
Art: I've got an FX-23 (unused) that I sell to ya if I can find a decent priced FX-37.

Art: I've got an FX-23 (unused) that I sell to ya if I can find a decent priced FX-37.

Sure Larry; sounds great!

Only prob is 3,000 mile shipping cost (both ways)... even if I could locally locate and inspect a "37" for ya.

Why not use the "23" on your KK? Too small?? I believe 42' is upper recommended limit for "23".

Art :D

PS: Keep me in mind on your 23 if you find a 37 and with shipping there were to still be savings!

FWIW we have an FX23 in a mount on our swimstep/transom. We use it as a stern anchor because its light weight encourages us to use it as opposed to the very heavy no-name Danforth type that came with the boat.

However, we sized the Fortress and its rode to be the main anchor for the boat. The combination rode is kept in a covered milk crate on the aft deck so it and the Fortress can easliy be carried forward and used as the main anchor if we choose to.

For a boat the size and windage of yours, however, a larger Fortress than the FX23 might be prudent, particularly if you anchor in softer bottoms in potentially windy locations.

Attachments

• La Perouse 2.jpg
    La Perouse 2.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 50
I posted this here because I didn't want to interfere with Brian's great thread about the Chesapeake anchor testing.

My preference for the Sarca EX-CEL had to do with several things. I thank Rex for working with me to make it happen.

• It would fit my bowsprit with no modification
  • It was sized properly for the boat
  • I trusted the test results
  • It is made of robust materials
  • I determined it would give the best all around performance in varying bottom types

This gives me my Delta and Danforth as backups. I think the three are a great combination.

Because of some issues at home, I have not been back to my boat since receiving it. I can't wait to try it. After seeing it and studying its features, I feel strongly that it was the right decision.

Hopefully, Anchor Right will have a US distributor before too long.

Don: I know how anxious you are to exercise your new ground tackle. Why don't I stop by the boat and pick-up the Sarca, and I'll give it a go while you're taking care of things up there. We'll connect again after you've gotten back to the boat. Better yet. where do you keep the keys?:popcorn:

Don: I know how anxious you are to exercise your new ground tackle. Why don't I stop by the boat and pick-up the Sarca, and I'll give it a go while you're taking care of things up there. We'll connect again after you've gotten back to the boat. Better yet. where do you keep the keys?:popcorn:

Larry, I certainly appreciate your generous offer. However, the EX-CEL is not on the boat. It is with me at all times for safe keeping. With so rare a speciman one can't be too careful. There are people out there that would say anything to get their hands on it. I hope present company is excluded, but one can't be too careful. Can one?

NEWS FLASH...

There's a new DESIGN anchor coming on the market. It's been secretly used and well tested by police and DEA boats!

Anchor Name: "Hold It Buddy" (some times referred to as Book em Dano!).

Known to penetrate even the toughest surfaces in any district. Quick on the draw for deployment, however, very hard to get away from if chain or rode entangles a mate. Can at times be overridden by legal means. Will not interfere with coffee and "Breaking News" at breakfast. CG loves it and usually will give a "pass" to any boat carrying such.

Now - Back to regular program... "What, elusive, anchor design can ever top Danforth - or - Fortress (i.e. Danforth on Steroids)???" :popcorn:

Last edited:
I have 5/8” line attached to this super lightweight anchor

A small anchor with heavy line works like a steel cable , no stretch.

Most times probably 3/8 or 7/16 line would give a better ability to stretch in the puffs, and lower the shock load on the anchor.

Finally

Today, Sept. 30, 2014, the Sarca Ex-Cel is on the bow of Moonstruck. The fit was as Rex said. Hopefully, Thursday there will be some time to go out and test it on some different bottom types. We are very close to winding up the upgrades and changes on Moonstruck. The exterior wood finishing is done. Everything above the newly painted hull has been buffed and ready for polish.

Let this years cruising season begin !!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom