It’s Showtime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Novice here.

Tell me, what does the term "pooped" mean in this nautical context?

Though I've never been in anything like Richard is experiencing, I'm pretty sure that under these conditions he CANNOT afford a beam sea even for an instant. Right??

Pooped means water has come in over the stern of the boat.

He has been changing course to keep the seas to his stern which is why he has moved to the east.

Richard sent me a text at 1416 EST and said the wind is SW at 16K. Waves were 12 feet are now down to 5-8 feet.

That low caught him for sure. This low is going up the west coast of Ireland and turning NNE. There are a couple of lows moving into the same area and it is going to be nasty up there. A 1501 UTC the low was at 52N12W. Currently Richard is at 49N10.8W so he is just south of the low. The low is at 995 MB and in 24 hours it will drop to 984 MB at which point it will be to the NNE of Ireland. A few days ago it was 1005 ish MB so it is getting worse. Hopefully Dauntless has already received been through the worst part of this low.

The winds should be, and seem to be, moving back from the south which is what Richard needs to make Ireland.

Later,
Dan

Original destination was Castletownbere Ireland
51.652318 -9.9071209

Just updated Richard on the movement of the low to his north and the other icky lows off NE Ireland.

Later,
Dan

Asked Richard if the seas had calmed down any. From Dauntless 3:47pm, est:

Yes. Baro I'd jumping up, winds dn to 15 kts. Seas very lumpy, with still some v big waves, 12'
But they are not in a rampage anymore.
I'll sleep well tonight

Richard Bost sent this message from:
Lat 49.065005 Lon -10.686628

Edit, Sorry Dannc, did not see you just got the same info.

Last edited:
I have a lower cockpit GB42, which is very rare. Would not want to be pooped. I did add two more scuppers though.

This has to be white knuckle.

Now - - > I am concerned for Richard.

I've experienced a few hairy seas off New England shores when younger in 40' + boats. Any breakdown of equipment aboard can wreak havoc regarding control situations... especially sailing single handed.

OUCH and best luck, Richard. Your story will be worth publishing for sure!

Art

Battery low again on Delorme unit on Dauntless. Not sure what he does to bring it back up. It must have a charger that he hooks it up to.

Attachments

• foot-in-mouth.jpg
    foot-in-mouth.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 381
Communicated with Richard current stats on Trawler forum:
785 post, 40 pages, 34,258 views.

Also told him, going home, maybe will have tuna fish for dinner?
Have a safe night.

His reply 4:35 pm, est:

As long as it's more than gg, I'm happy.
Good night

Lat 49.142038 Lon -10.636825

Communicated with Richard current stats on Trawler forum:
785 post, 40 pages, 34,258 views.

Also told him, going home, maybe will have tuna fish for dinner?
Have a safe night.

His reply 4:35 pm, est:

As long as it's more than gg, I'm happy.
Good night

Lat 49.142038 Lon -10.636825

OMG. Richard wants to be like GG. Well, she isn't going solo and running low on fuel, but then she isn't crossing an ocean either. She has made it up the coast, hitting NJ tonight.

The Dauntless vs GG competition is on.

Last edited:
He should be showing up fairly soon on marinetraffic.com and/or vesselfinder.com.

You'll need to try both though.

Last edited:
Original destination was Castletownbere Ireland
51.652318 -9.9071209

Before Richard said good night, he said Castletownbere is where he is heading. Looks like a nice, calm, protected area. :thumb::D

His course looks to be headed right for Castletownbere. I am guessing he has about 130 NMs so he should make it in tomorrow.

Later,
Dan

Last edited:
Hmmmpf. Interesting.

My mind wonders after getting pooped, how long did he have to sit there before things calmed down enough to go change his shorts.

I'm sitting in my office chair, might have to change my own. Definitely pucker factor 4 or 5.

Actually, back when I was engaged in more "exciting" things, I don't think we ever had time to worry much while in the moment. It was always after the fact in some kind of debrief that you got to reflect on what just happened. Given he has to stay focused and keep on going, he might never actually go through the debrief consideration. Especially after getting some sleep.

Interesting.

Godspeed Dauntless.

Dauntless has turned to a more northerly course, and is scooting right along.

If anyone is interested, here is a 180 degree view of the quay that Richard will be Med tying to.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I was wondering if he was going to Med Moor or anchor off to the north...

Later,
Dan

It is just my guess he would Med tie off since that is city central. Makes provisioning and getting a cool one easier.

137nm to go! maybe 26 hours? If I figured it out correctly...
35 gallons of fuel required.

If only the weather would hold off for 26 hours.

If only the weather would hold off for 26 hours.

Looks more like it might be a bit sporty around the time he arrives. But at least it looks like he heading into a big lee.

Attachments

• AAA1.png
    AAA1.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 62
  • AAA2.png
    AAA2.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 67
What a journey, what an adventure!! And of course we have all been glued to the internet every step of the way... I bet he had no idea you could fit so many people onto a KK!

So next question.... Who among us is next to cast off on such an adventure so the rest of us Arm Chair Firs Mates can fill the void left by the completion of Richard's adventure?!!

Last edited:
Man! What a ride!
Been watching this thread since day one, being a Noob didn't think I had the right to comment, but Dam! Richard, hang in there Bud, your doing all of us proud.
First stiff one is on me, hope the bar is close to the laundry, cuz your gonna have some ripe stuff! After reading again, maybe I'm in the back of the line as far as first one, but you get the Idea!
Best of luck!

Based on his last position fix at 0038 hours, and measuring using maxsea charting software approx 118NM to go, and at a speed of 6.5 knots I'm thinking he'll make port between 1800 and 1900 hours UTC Thursday.

Passageweather is predicting the winds at his landing to be around 25 knots on his port aft beam, about 45 degrees it looks like to me.

If the weather moves in slower the winds will be more aft, and if the weather moves in faster than predicted the seas will be more abeam.

It looks like conditions will deteriorate rapidly from there.

I'm no weather person, but thats what passageweather says.

He's cutting it very close, and its not going to be pretty either way.

If the weather moves in early his bail out is to veer east and make landfall in the big bay that appears to have the community of Cork at its head. That would put the seas almost directly aft to aft port.

Last edited:
Texts sent to Dauntless, waiting for reply.
He did seem to stop about 1/2 an hour ago for a short while.
Back uderway now.
Battery says normal.
No current ais info yet.
77nm to go!
(my calculation at 6:16am est, from Dauntless Delorme position
50.38476 -10.17501)

From Dauntless at 7:05 am, est:

Maybe I ask am.
A minor and major crisis this morning.
My stbd Paravane pole got bent.

Lat 50.44378 Lon -10.09738

Not sure what "Maybe I ask am." means.
I had asked him how he is feeling today.....

From Richard at 7:30am est:

That was supposed to say, Maybe I still am.

Lat 50.475053 Lon -10.06058

And the drama continues. Richard is one gutsy guy. Looks like he is about to wrap this leg of the journey up.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom