It’s Showtime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Especially when he's alone, I've been assuming that he's using jacklines and a harness when dealing with the paravanes or something else on deck. But, it's unwise to assume anything. Does anybody know for sure if he has/uses them?

The latest current surface chart is looking better. The low off the south of England will move north in the next 24 hours and dissipate. The low that has been chasing Richard is going to make a sharp turn to the north west of Richard and head up the west coast of Ireland. This should, eventually, give Richard the south winds he needs.

Later,
Dan

Are any of you plotting his position on Earth Wind? It's a very dramatic animation of the winds that Richard is experiencing. The lows are very visible.
earth :: an animated map of global wind, weather, and ocean conditions

Just click on the map about where you think he is and wind speed and direction plus lat/lon pops up. Click on the word Earth to get more options.
One of the options is to show forecast winds 24 hours out.
That is the most kick ass application I have seen in a long time. Thanks for the link.

Cool!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

HopCar, Thanks for the link.

Recived from Dauntless 3:43am est:

Pressure dropped 12mb in 12hrs
I'm letting the winds and waves have their way with me.

Richard Bost sent this message from:
Lat 48.35319 Lon -12.08067

Richard is talking about someone he is communicating with, 5:36am, est:

To get away from the strength of this Low.
But I told him, I can't go perpendicular to the winds when so strong like today.
200°25g38
8'-12' waves

Tell everyone I'm on a surfing safari.

Lat 48.541235 Lon -11.956237

Ireland is his closest port now, about 200 miles. Sicily 240 and Brest France 270.

I had given Richard some local news from his destination yesterday.
Something about Spanish fisherman 200 miles off the coast of Ireland being detained. From Dauntless 6:41 est:

I'm being harassed by a bunch of birds. I think they have me confused with a Spanish fishing boat.

Coastal Explorer says I did 144nm from 11:00 last 24 I'm using 250 as the distance to bear as I've already had to change course to more east.If winds ret to SW

Lat 48.638373 Lon -11.836395

From Dauntless 7:02 est:

Tell everyone thy I just had two massive waves come under. They were 3'above bow pulpit.
I think I'll go in there direction.

Lat 48.657513 Lon -11.798115

Asked Dauntless about increase in vessel sightings?, 8:01 est:

About the same, seen 2 a day recently, none for a while and a few around Azores

Lat 48.698058 Lon -11.66231

I checked his AIS position and it still shows the last known location in the Azores.

How ####, Delorme just showed 11 mph!

From the crew at 8:34 est:

The wind is right now becoming more nw.
I'm hoping it returns to SW.
12' waves,sometimes a bit more.
First time I had water over cap rail aft of Paravanes.

Lat 48.713712 Lon -11.588988

I thank you all - Especially Richard! - for this greatly informative and interesting thread. I follow posts consistently and have learned much regarding this type journey in a boat such as Richard's.

Get It On!! Richard... be careful and enjoy.

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy holiday weekend. We plan to anchor out on our Tolly boat starting tomorrow for a few days of warm fresh water swimming and playing around with our tow behind runabout.

Happy Boating Daze! - Art :D

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy holiday weekend. We plan to anchor out on our Tolly boat starting tomorrow for a few days of warm fresh water swimming and playing around with our tow behind runabout.

Happy Boating Daze! - Art :D

We're actually spending three days in the office before flying back across the country on Saturday and resuming our exploration of the west coast. Hard to believe we're entering the latter stages of the year. Here six weeks, home for three, back west for five and then home for the holidays. Well, home plus a trip to NC and on to SC.

Not a holiday weekend where Richard is, but something tells me if he arrives in Cork by the weekend, he will celebrate anyway.

Last edited:
The low that was in Richards way is now gone! Woo Hoo! :dance:

The low that has been chasing Dauntless and was forecast 3-4 days ago to go south of Richard, maybe into Biscay, is now hitting Richard. :nonono: This low started making a turn to the north, basically aiming for Richard, over the last few days, and the turn increased last night and this morning. :eek:

There is a high off the east coast of Scotland that might be causing the turn as well as the winds at the 500MB level. Anyway....

Richard is on the east side of this 997MB low which was 1005 MB about 24 hours ago. It looks like when the low came through, he was on the bad side of the low since the winds were blowing in the low's line of travel.

There is a ship near his position reporting SSW winds at 15 knots. Another ship a bit east has 20 knot winds from the south. Richard's course is now NNE I think to keep the waves on his stern. As the low moves north and Dauntless moves east, the winds should start to come from the south and he can change course back to Ireland.

I sent updates last night to give him a warning about the low and what conditions should be overnight and this morning. Not that there is much he can do but change course. Hopefully, this morning's weather data will brighten his day since it seems in a few hours he should have better weather going into port.

From his texts, it seems he might go to Scilly if needed or just continue into Ireland. If the winds return move around from the south I bet he heads back to Ireland. I sure would. :D

Later,
Dan

He's waggled a lot since Horta. But he knows the conditions at his location better than anyone else.

From Dauntless, sorry for the delay, work got in the way Again! 11:17am, est:

I just got pooped.
Just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water.

All of o.k..
No water inside.
I changed course and speed a bit.

Boat heeled 24°
Had a foot is water on Stbd deck.Maybe half a poop, as the wave lifted the boat, bow looking at the sky, Stbd rear went under. No water inside

Lat 48.821462 Lon -11.201485

Geez. This is turning into a nail biter...

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Who do you see starring in the movie version of "Showtime"?

And what should be the title? "Richard vs the Gods"?

Last edited:
Are any of you plotting his position on Earth Wind? It's a very dramatic animation of the winds that Richard is experiencing. The lows are very visible.
earth :: an animated map of global wind, weather, and ocean conditions

Just click on the map about where you think he is and wind speed and direction plus lat/lon pops up. Click on the word Earth to get more options.
One of the options is to show forecast winds 24 hours out.

Have you guys looked at Parks' suggested site recently? I'm no expert- but this does not look good at all.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

img_261443_0_4eda6a9bfe43973e44bb7f3f9e348c7d.jpg

West of Ireland looks bad weather wise for next few days. Might be taking a more easterly course.

Just wrapping up with our Maritime Hero. All is looking well.

The worst is over. This was the classic situation of when not too be out.
Barometer dropping like a stone. Long fetch, 40 kt winds and big ass waves.
I've been out in bad wx, but never with waves that are above my head as they pass the pilot house.
My er bilge pump cycled over 300 times since midnight when
This party started. I wasn't worried, as that happens whenever the decks are wet.
But I'm used to seeing 30, not 300. clearly everything in the lazzerette got
Washed.
I've also never seen a foot of water on the deck!
I'm glad its over.
I was more stressed about whether I'd taken the right route. I second guess myself
Also, I saw how the boat behaved. One time it was like the entire boat was lifted and dropped on top of this tremendous wave.
But the flare of the bow stops
Water from coming over the fore deck.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

If I'm working that Earth Wind website right, it looks like he's getting hit with almost 30 mph winds from the west. No wonder he's turned east.

What city is he trying to reach? I must have missed it and I don't want to go back through over 700 posts to find it!

Cork in Ireland was the last I read. Maybe considering down wind/sea alternatives now. You are reading the weather report correctly.

Novice here.

Tell me, what does the term "pooped" mean in this nautical context?

Though I've never been in anything like Richard is experiencing, I'm pretty sure that under these conditions he CANNOT afford a beam sea even for an instant. Right??

Pooped is when a wave breaks over, or in his case, into your stern or cockpit.

As to beam seas, it depends on there height and period. Right now I would think neither number would be for the good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom