Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's that big low spot between the fore cabin and the pilothouse. I figure if Al has a rail to hold onto and a mast we can rig him with it should make the step location less ambiguous :D

:lol:

A bunch of posts back, some interesting fishing boats got posted and I mentioned this one-finally was at Fisherman's Terminal in Seattle today to get a shot or two of it. Probably the craziest looking boat I have ever seen. A fishing boat (it dooes have a license # visible)? Sailboat (it has rigging? Pleasure boat (it has a below decks cabin)? It does have your standard 2x4 railings though!

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 107
Also saw this nice little baby a few slips down. What more could you want in 20' and $19,000?. Galley, sleeps 2, head with macerator and holding tank! A 50hp Yanmar.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 196
A bunch of posts back, some interesting fishing boats got posted and I mentioned this one-finally was at Fisherman's Terminal in Seattle today to get a shot or two of it. Probably the craziest looking boat I have ever seen. A fishing boat (it dooes have a license # visible)? Sailboat (it has rigging? Pleasure boat (it has a below decks cabin)? It does have your standard 2x4 railings though!

What in the wide wide world of sports is that?! Can't even tell which direction is it supposed to be pointing!

Also saw this-not an interesting boat, but an interesting outdrive/jet drive, on an MJM Downeaster,

The fist is the boat. In the second, the brown stuff is the forest growing on the drives! Doesn't look like anyone has used in a while!

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 105
This isn't an interesting boat, just 2 big ass anchors hanging off the bow of a Nordhavn 76 for sale. First $3.5M takes it including the anchors!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 109

OK, no matter what type of vessel it started life as, what's been done to it since is simply inhumane!

Also saw this nice little baby a few slips down. What more could you want in 20' and $19,000?. Galley, sleeps 2, head with macerator and holding tank! A 50hp Yanmar.

Now that IS a cute tug! But what's that aluminum thing behind it? Sort of reminds me a little of the CG 47' MLB.

This isn't an interesting boat, just 2 big ass anchors hanging off the bow of a Nordhavn 76 for sale. First $3.5M takes it including the anchors!

Now you've done it! I see thread drift ahead!

Also saw this-not an interesting boat, but an interesting outdrive/jet drive, on an MJM Downeaster,
Dat dere boat be a Hinckley.

Re #664 I think somebody bought a boat to live aboard and got claustrophobia. Eventually made it bigger. Walk around decks became lots of storage and a kind of a yard of sorts. In the first pic you can see the side extensions clearly. From the stern shot construction looks very questionable.

Liveaboards in Alaska can dream up some far out contraptions. Seen all manner of weird things including 30' 3 story boats. Apartments in Juneau are so expensive liveaboards are common.

We met the builder/owner of this fine vessel in Nanaimo this summer.

For those of you familiar with the book 'the curve of time' will recognize the design.

He found plans from the 1920's and constructed this replica boat in his garage in Arkansas. The slight modification from original is slightly longer, 25' instead of 24', and of course a modern diesel.

Cold moulded epoxy over red cedar, multi strip method.

He has a trailer on which he loads the boat up and hauls it with his pickup out to be launched at Anacortes. The past 4 seasons he, his wife and their dog cruise to Desolation Sound.

Attachments

• summer 2014 Desol (200).jpg
    summer 2014 Desol (200).jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 170
  • summer 2014 Desol (198).jpg
    summer 2014 Desol (198).jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 164
  • kirstens phone 1385.jpg
    kirstens phone 1385.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 175
She looks a bit like an Ecco... I remember they were dark below decks (if memory serves after so long that is)

Mahogany overhead, like ours used to have before we went "modern" and painted it white. Weird, isn't it, how the styles and designs come around time and time again.

The above though? She's pretty.

For those of you familiar with the book 'the curve of time' will recognize the design.

Cool boat. What a tribute. Everyone on this site should read The Curve of Time.

He found plans from the 1920's and constructed this replica boat in his garage in Arkansas. The slight modification from original is slightly longer, 25' instead of 24', and of course a modern diesel.

He has a trailer on which he loads the boat up and hauls it with his pickup out to be launched at Anacortes. The past 4 seasons he, his wife and their dog cruise to Desolation Sound.

Well it's close, but not really Caprice. Traveler looks like she was built from the Weston Farmer plans for a 26' Elco Elco 26

Here's Caprice long ago.....She was 25' by 6.5', imagine spending whole summers in such a tiny boat alone with 5 kids and a cranky little Kermath gas engine.....

Caprice.JPG

Last edited:
+1 Curve of Time.

I'm going to stop following this thread. I got up in the middle of the night after dreaming of a certain steel vessel and got to reading and interrogating pictures for about 2 hours before coming back to my senses. Starting over with a new project, all the time, money, etc.. is just not worth it. I think the Dauntless thread at the same time is making me long for a boat with true range potential. That and the fact I'm about a millimeter away from truly selling everything and starting over. I literally can't cope with this thread anymore!

No harm in liquidating projects/assets that came come along for the ride.

Who wants to bid on a 1978 Alfa Romeo? How about a dive store worth of gas equipment ( Bauer dive compressor in Verticus housing, Haskel Booster, Storage tanks, oxygen/Helium). Just listed a old Honda Motorbike on Craigs. Thinking of dumping the 2006 Boxster S 20K miles. Lets see, what's next...

No kidding, this thread is tearing me up!

I'm supposed to leave for Princess Louisa inlet in a little over a week, might be interesting to see what happens after.

Yup .... Didn't't look at that one very good. I think Perkins did make horizontal cylinder engines back in the 60s or/and 70s.

I know they made a 6.354H = horizontal, don't know if they produced any of their other models in the same style.

Some of my favorite boats that I've taken photos of over the years.

Glorybe was built in 1927. Chinook was designed by Gardner and was built by and for the publisher of "Boating" (I think)magazine as a cruising boat for the east coast. This was in the 1950s I believe. When he and his wife were done with it, it was sold and sent out to the west coast by train. Chinook was on our dock for many years until it was sold again. It's still in the area.

The Bluenose and the fishing schooners like her have always been my favorite sailing vessels. A few years ago my wife and I were taken out on the Bluenose II, and exact replica that was built in the same yard by some of the same people as the original. It was my wife's first time ever under sail.

The Columbia River gillnetter I shot at Lopez Island reminds me of the fishing boats I saw as a very young child in the harbor of my original home town, Sausalito, CA, where we lived one block back the water. Sausalito's commercial fishing harbor and the Northwestern Pacific's Tiburon train yard and engine roundhouse (both long gone) were my favorite "hangouts" as a little kid before we moved to Hawaii. The first boat I can consciously remember seeing was a boat like this painted yellow and green and named "Lucky Lady." I was probably about 2 or 3 years old.

Attachments

• 1927.jpg
    1927.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Chinook.jpg
    Chinook.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 121
  • Bluenose.jpg
    Bluenose.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 120
  • Columbia River gillnet boat.jpg
    Columbia River gillnet boat.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
I know they made a 6.354H = horizontal, don't know if they produced any of their other models in the same style.

My 1971 C&C custom trawler had a horizontal Perkins HT-354-6. The unusual thing about this engine was it had both wet and dry sumps plus the pistons had five rings as opposed to the usual three.

We rebuilt the engine at 20,000 hours because it had a tiny bit of slap in one piston. It would have gone for several thousand more hours but I'm a wee bit picky.

Attachments

• ENGINE 1.jpg
    ENGINE 1.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 97
  • anchor Beaufort.jpg
    anchor Beaufort.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 96
Poker: I was just about to ask you what a PDQ Benford Faintail 38 was. I'm familiar with Benford's designs, but how did PDQ become involved, if indeed, you are speaking about the company.

The story is a little foggy but the boat appears to have been built by PDQ or a PDQ employee in 2001. The hull is foam cored polyester with an outer skin of epoxy.

Sadly the previous owner/pdq employee is ...... short on memory (and documentation) might be a polite way to express it. I am still digging into it's history

Poker: Benford may know, and he's a nice, helpful guy to speak with. He still has the Florida Bay Coaster site, I think. Of course, you probably already did that.

Beautiful boat Poker! Any interior pictures?

One of the smaller of the schooners in the local "Cattle Boat" fleet passing down Deer Isle Thorofare today.

Attachments

• IMG_0786.jpg
    IMG_0786.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 107
Traveler is an Elco 26 from Duckworks plans,if I'm not mistaken.Here's more info on her.

Duckworks Magazine - Traveler

Elco 26

She looks a bit like an Ecco... I remember they were dark below decks (if memory serves after so long that is)

Mahogany overhead, like ours used to have before we went "modern" and painted it white. Weird, isn't it, how the styles and designs come around time and time again.

The above though? She's pretty.

Well it's close, but not really Caprice. Traveler looks like she was built from the Weston Farmer plans for a 26' Elco Elco 26

Here's Caprice long ago.....She was 25' by 6.5', imagine spending whole summers in such a tiny boat alone with 5 kids and a cranky little Kermath gas engine.....

View attachment 32387

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom