It’s Showtime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I debated about eating up some of his message data allotment but after reading about Delorme and the rates decided it wouldn't break the bank.

If I go cruising again I think I'll use Delorme.

I *** THOUGHT *** someone said he had an unlimited plan. I sure hope so because I have been sending up to 15 texts. :eek:

I just sent him some more text on the current surface chart. Hopefully, it did not cost him. :D

Nothing really new but the low to his west is most likely going to hit him in 36-48 hours? Not much he can do about it as far as I can tell. :eek: Wave forecast in 48 hours shows 3 meter waves in his area which is what he is getting now.

The other low at Ireland is going to stay in the area but weaken. Looks like his last couple of days are going to be a rough. :eek:

I told Richard that SPOT is showing normal battery usage.

Later,
Dan

The two cheapest plans gives 10 and 40 messages per month with additional messages @ $0.50. The top two plans are unlimited text.

I don't know what plan he has.

Are any of you plotting his position on Earth Wind? It's a very dramatic animation of the winds that Richard is experiencing. The lows are very visible.
earth :: an animated map of global wind, weather, and ocean conditions

Just click on the map about where you think he is and wind speed and direction plus lat/lon pops up. Click on the word Earth to get more options.
One of the options is to show forecast winds 24 hours out.

Are any of you plotting his position on Earth Wind? It's a very dramatic animation of the winds that Richard is experiencing. The lows are very visible.
earth :: an animated map of global wind, weather, and ocean conditions

Just click on the map about where you think he is and wind speed and direction plus lat/lon pops up. Click on the word Earth to get more options.
One of the options is to show forecast winds 24 hours out.

Just found one of the overlays to be MI -Misery Index. Shows low. The other side of the planet - not so much.

Very interesting information presented well.

Hopcar, that is a cool site. Makes things very visible. Thanks!

Sent good morning messages about 45 min ago.
Still waiting for text reply. I have a hunch he is taking a cat nap.

From Dauntless, 6:47am est:

I'm great.
Slept a lot last night, only AIS one ship, but I know that will increase closer to EC.

Richard Bost sent this message from:
Lat 46.584477 Lon -13.446665

More from the traveler, had asked questions about fuel remaining,
6:50 est:

This morning I was able to get a better reading on fuel.
With the engine running, even w/o rolling, the engine on somehow affects the sight tube readings.

Yesterday I adjusted the totals based on what i thought it should read and this a.m. took new reading which indicated 40g used last 24hr.

Since that number looked very right, I think my total is also more correct and it's now 160 gal.
It's certainly not less than that and would not be surprised

If it's 20 or 30 g more.
In any case, that puts me in Ireland with at least 60gal.
New numbers:
3.6 nm/g. 1.44 gal/hr

What I learned today, in the 12 hr from 18:00 to 06:00 this morning, we rolled a lot. I'm pretty sure I know why, but that will have to wait for a better venue

Edit, added at 6:57 est:
related to that, I spent 3 hours this morning at just above idle, 1000 rpm, heading ene, with wind 20,25 & waves begin the west. Still managed 4 kts with less

Lat 46.609347 Lon -13.435057

Last edited:
More from "Dauntless Ocean Crosser", 7:05 est:

related to that, I spent 3 hours this morning at just above idle, 1000 rpm, heading ene, with wind 20,25 & waves begin the west. Still managed 4 kts with less

Less roll. I did it bc I did not want to get further east.
Had I been smart enough to try this a few days ago, I'd be near irl right now.
One H2O tank empty

Lat 46.622382 Lon -13.429842

I'd be sweating the fuel situation.

I agree, mostly from that fact if the boat is rolling and the large area of those tanks, or do these larger tanks feed a day tank?

He has 2-350 gallon fuel tanks with 2 or 3 baffles per tank. His water tanks are 150 gallons each, mid-ship in the floor, forward of the fuel tanks and with no baffles.

He'll find out if tank bottoms are clean, too. Not a good time for that.

Last night was interesting. :rolleyes:

I looked at the weather charts and figured I should send him the latest data. Not much he could do with it but *** I *** would feel better if I sent him the information. I created my texts and then batch sent them about 2230ish.

I thought about something so I checked the current chart and it had been updated shortly before I sent my texts! :banghead: :D

Not much difference except the low chasing Richard is moving more north than previous forecasts. A few days ago it looked like the low would be south of Richard as he got close to Ireland. This morning, the low has moved a bit more north and is deepening, ie, getting stronger. The low at Ireland has moved a bit SE as predicted but it is dissipating.

My guess is that the low near Ireland will be gone or move out of Richards way but the low that has been following him is going to overtake and pass him. This should make his entry :speed boat: into port easier. I hope.

Later,
Dan

Last edited:
About an hour ago Richard said he is "blasting on thru"

Sounds like the right thing to since he has no vodka, pie or mayo. :D

Later,
Dan

I thought he picked up some wine in Horta. Maybe that's low too?

I guess we'll all have to rework our traveling checklist for sweets and condiments.

Yes, Larry. Not sure why he isn't drawing on both water tanks simultaneously to maintain vessel trim. We don't have a day tank but do have a fuel polishing system. We can move fuel around our 4 tanks. I have no interest in trans oceanic cruising though.

We have the Delorme inreach and are pleased with it for the most part. I have had difficulty sometimes with Bluetooth connectivity with the iPad sometimes and have to reset the inreach device. We set the waypoints to be sent every 20 minutes but with hourly or less frequently would be fine with offshore cruising. We were on a plan in Canada for $50/month which gave us 1,000 waypoints and 250 messages. We've gone to the standby plan for $5.00/month as our cruising for the rest of the year is in cell range. This is a link to our route this summer.

https://share.delorme.com/JamesCave

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

If you have a leak or leave a faucet cracked...you don't lose all your water if only drawing from one....

About an hour ago Richard said he is "blasting on thru"

Sounds like the right thing to since he has no vodka, pie or mayo. :D

Later,
Dan

Dan, given those facts, I don't see that he has a choice?❗❗

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

If you have a leak or leave a faucet cracked...you don't lose all your water if only drawing from one....

Ahhhh! Very clever! I stand corrected.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Sent Richard a text saying those here on trawler forum were in a uproar when Richard said he was going to use Olive oil for engine oil, until I posted later he was just kidding. Not entirely true, however just trying to lighten up Richards day, his response at 4:17pm est:

I used that for my tuna fish!
You should have let them rant and rave awhile!

Today was first day in a while they I could check stuff on the decks.
Getting ready for MNs last blast, west winds 35kts.did my last 36 hrs

Ok.
Karel, another KK owner is on the sw tip of Ireland.
I'll get there on weekend or just after

Jean Claude convinced me of what I already knew.
So I'm heading ne

Lat 47.371738 Lon -12.879453

Asked Richard about engine oil consumption, 5:35est:

From RI to Azores it used 1qt/50hrs. Now that's a bit more then before, when it was 70 hrs.
It got 1.5 yesterday, so I have it smoother another 0.5 this

Lat 47.438815 Lon -12.758603

I assume Richard is texting from the phones key pad? must be a pain!

I've been checking out this site for awhile it has a lot of great info, but following this thread I finally joined. This crossing is on my bucket list.

Good luck Richard.

Steve

I assume Richard is texting from the phones key pad? must be a pain!

It HAS to be a PITA.

I spend quite a bit of time trying to fit the texts in 160 characters yet make it readable without missing/dropping information. I have plenty of time to go over the texts before sending and my chair is not moving around! :D I don't think he has that luxury. Some texts I have received have had words garbled. Not sure if it was because of the transmission or Richard being bounced around the boat. :blush: My guess is that it is kinda hard to type on a keypad in 10-12 foot seas. :)

Later,
Dan

Today was first day in a while they I could check stuff on the decks.

Sounds like it has been a lot of bouncing around for a few days!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Back
Top Bottom