Power needed to run water maker.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Parmenter

Vessel Make
49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Just wondering how I would power a watermaker?

The one I am thinking of says 230v @ 14-16amps
Initially I thought I could run it when the engines are running but then I thought I would be better off with a Honda Genny, but I have my doubts about that even though they supposedly have 15 amp plugs.

Any advice from those running one gratefully received

Our 700 GPD (Rated) draws about 14.5-15 amps @ 110v.

230v at 16a is 3.7kW, and that's with no margin for induction motor startup. 65gph is a big unit. Note the other post was in gpd, or gallons per day.

and you run it how?

The one I am looking at is 65 GPH

If we want to use it underway we turn some of the AC's off, then switch it on since our 12kw can't accommodate all 5 AC's and the water maker. We usually just run it at the dock since we run dual 50A cords, which allows us to run everything simultaneously including washer and dryer.

Took a look at the Honda generator that could produce 4kw at 220 volts and they are big units. I will be interested in how you configure this set-up. Curious as well as to the need for a 65 gallon (US or Imperial?) per hour output.

Curious as well as to the need for a 65 gallon (US or Imperial?) per hour output.
The need was based on the $1500 purchase price.
I was keen when listed at $2500, keener again when the price dropped to $2000
and this morning was going to pull the trigger when it dropped to $1500

Doesn't matter now, it was sold almost instantly.

SK Watermakers SC 1500 Marine Desalinator | eBay

A watermaker that is a LOT bigger than you need (and 65 gph probably is) may not be a bargain because you need some hefty wiring and a big generator to run it. Regardless of output, they all need around 800psi to operate, so all you get for the extra layout is filling your tanks in 2 hours instead of 5.

Hmm, why didn't the guy have an auction starting at $1500?

I run a Newport 400, 16.5gph. They are DC only which is a plus, and mine draws 26A at 12V on full power. It also has a low power operation mode, and output is reduced. Not sure what the draw is then. Its a great unit, but crazy prices here in Oz. Fortunately I had it installed before I shipped the boat back.

I run a Newport 400, 16.5gph. They are DC only which is a plus, and mine draws 26A at 12V on full power. .

Bay Pelican also has a Newport 400 (Spectra). Runs off the battery bank for first two and one-half (or three and one/half) hours then I turn on the generator for the last half hour and charge up the batteries.

If you need lots of water really quick, there are belt driven units that could be installed on the noisemaker .

Back
Top Bottom