It’s Showtime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More from Dauntless 12:54pm to 1:04 est:
So I'm still slightly better than 4nm/gal.
Only 550 to go and I have 250gal left.

Richard Bost sent this message from:
Lat 44.208567 Lon -17.561473

That is pretty good fuel burn. :thumb:

He is hoping that the low moving in to Ireland will continue to provide him with SSW wind/waves to help push him into Ireland. Should help his fuel burn as well.

Later,
Dan

Thread creep...
As in all phases of yacht ownership just calculating the fuel burn and capacity of a Dashew boat is only part of the equation.. yes they are fuel efficient at higher speeds.. but have you priced one of those things?. you can get a Nordhavn and a lot of fuel for the cost of a FPB. And Sailors get clipped in fast boats too.. because they believe they can out run the weather.. doesn't always happen though.
HOLLYWOOD

True, Dat. :D

How shall I phrase this....

Is a 64 foot Nordhaven really "cheaper" than a FPB 64? Using the world "cheaper," or even the phrase, less expensive just does not seem correct in this context. :rofl:

Hmmmm, how about, does a 64 foot Nordhavn really cost less than a FPB 64? :D

I thought there were both 2-3 million USD?

Later,
Dan

What is a "ocean master course"?

Good question. Probably the wrong title. I think Richard took time out on his trip North at maybe Beaufort SC to take a course for licensing for ocean master.

Here is a link to the NOAA Ocean Prediction Center that has the charts Richard is using, Ocean Prediction Center - Atlantic

He is primarily using the current surface chart.

The 48 and 96 hour surface, 500MB, wind and wave charts are interesting to me but Richard is not using them for the most part. He did ask me today to check the 500MB chart to verify a high ridge over central Europe.

Other interesting European weather sites I have found:

Later,
Dan

True, Dat. :D

How shall I phrase this....

Is a 64 foot Nordhaven really "cheaper" than a FPB 64? Using the world "cheaper," or even the phrase, less expensive just does not seem correct in this context. :rofl:

Hmmmm, how about, does a 64 foot Nordhavn really cost less than a FPB 64? :D

I thought there were both 2-3 million USD?

Later,
Dan

I depends on what you are looking for.. a FPB boat is nowhere close to the size and accommodation of even a N60. The FPB boats get their fuel economy and speed due to a narrow beam to length ratio... that is nothing new.. old rum runners and submarines use the same theory.

So to get the boat the size of a N60 you have to do a 90' FPB. Keep in mind that in Marinas, boat yards or anywhere they calculate fees it is typically on length. I know I am in rare company as I didn't/don't drink the Dashew cool aid. Funny thing is I like modern design, fast cars/planes/motorcycles but for a passage making boat a full displacement "traditional" boat is more to my liking. One that can be loaded heavy, has lots of deck places to hide out, and doesn't have that flat top vertical window y2K catamaran look. Also the idea of a unpainted aluminum boat is great for maintenance .. but you get your nuts roasted off on deck.. and you end you with white ..or grey aluminum marks on everything.

by the way.. I LOVED the Sundeer boats and the thought of one as a Cocoanut Run Circumnavigator.. as long as they were painted!

Rant over...
HOLLYWOOD
:dance:

Edit..
oops.. sorry this shouldn't really be on this thread..

I depends on what you are looking for.. a FPB boat is nowhere close to the size and accommodation of even a N60. The FPB boats get their fuel economy and speed due to a narrow beam to length ratio... that is nothing new.. old rum runners and submarines use the same theory.

So to get the boat the size of a N60 you have to do a 90' FPB. Keep in mind that in Marinas, boat yards or anywhere they calculate fees it is typically on length. I know I am in rare company as I didn't/don't drink the Dashew cool aid. Funny thing is I like modern design, fast cars/planes/motorcycles but for a passage making boat a full displacement "traditional" boat is more to my liking. One that can be loaded heavy, has lots of deck places to hide out, and doesn't have that flat top vertical window y2K catamaran look. Also the idea of a unpainted aluminum boat is great for maintenance .. but you get your nuts roasted off on deck.. and you end you with white ..or grey aluminum marks on everything.

by the way.. I LOVED the Sundeer boats and the thought of one as a Cocoanut Run Circumnavigator.. as long as they were painted!

Rant over...
HOLLYWOOD
:dance:

Edit..
oops.. sorry this shouldn't really be on this thread..

I completely agree with you, Hollywood. I'd rather have a boat along the lines of Dauntless. It is more economical than any boat I own. Make that far more economical. Dauntless has great range. The only reason fuel has become a subject is that it left Horta with considerably less fuel than it holds and some of us would have added some. Oh and just so the record is straight, Richard is getting better fuel mileage on this trip than a 64' Dashew at cruise. The Dashew gets about 2 nmpg.

Oh and just so the record is straight, Richard is getting better fuel mileage on this trip than a 64' Dashew at cruise. The Dashew gets about 2 nmpg.

The Dashew does a bit better than that. And is faster.

Attachments

• FPB Fuel Table.png
    FPB Fuel Table.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 331
The Dashew does a bit better than that. And is faster.

Thanks for that Capt.Bill. I do drink the Dashew Kool-aid and from his recommendation in his Cruising Encyclopedia I bought a used Cal 40 30 years ago. Even though a race boat, it made a great and fast cruiser.

What equipment would Richard need to have access to above links or same data via shortwave?

What equipment would Richard need to have access to above links or same data via shortwave?

Not enough bandwidth on HF. Satellite is the way and for Internet access while maritime mobile, a bit pricey. HF on the HAM bands are great for email, no big attachments.

All the ships I served on had full connectivity, TV, Internet, Comms, courtesy of our big golf ball.

Attachments

• MVC-028F.JPG
    MVC-028F.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
You dont need a golf ball, a mushroom like this would do.
Iridium Pilot | Satellite Phone and Broadband Data | Global Marine Networks
Iridium_Pilot_satphone.png

Were I to setup for ocean crossing and remote cruising I would install one. The data rates are enough for web connectivity and charges are reasonable under the circumstances. Yes, a lot higher cost then Richard's Delorme, which is still a fabulous piece of kit. But I would want to surf the net when other crew were on watch. I would always have a couple of other people on board...

You dont need a golf ball, a mushroom like this would do.
Iridium Pilot | Satellite Phone and Broadband Data | Global Marine Networks

Were I to setup for ocean crossing and remote cruising I would install one. The data rates are enough for web connectivity and charges are reasonable under the circumstances. Yes, a lot higher cost then Richard's Delorme, which is still a fabulous piece of kit. But I would want to surf the net when other crew were on watch. I would always have a couple of other people on board...

Thanks for dropin that link. :thumb: Good info with in,even if you never consider buying.

I'm not good at reading weather maps. How much wind is he getting? If I'm reading things right it looks like about 30 mph on his port quarter. Is that right?
Has anybody talked to Richard this evening?

The Dashew does a bit better than that. And is faster

Certainly faster but found your chart interesting since I had taken my numbers from Dashew's website (the 64). Now I didn't have information on the speeds less than 9 knots.

Fuel Capacity 3400 US Gallons

Cruising Speed 9.25-10.0-knots
Top Speed 10.5 knots

Approximate Range 9.0 knots – 6400 NM
9.5 knots – 5500 NM
Note: speeds/ranges are for smooth water, 75,000 pound displacement, clean bottom

So 6400 NM with a 10% safety factor would be just over 7100 NM with no safety. That comes out to 2.1 nmpg. At 9.4 knots your chart shows 2.8 nmpg and a range of 8899 miles.

I don't doubt your numbers. Just interesting and wonder what the difference was. As top speed was also faster on their current site perhaps a larger engine.

Certainly faster but found your chart interesting since I had taken my numbers from Dashew's website (the 64). Now I didn't have information on the speeds less than 9 knots.

Fuel Capacity 3400 US Gallons

Cruising Speed 9.25-10.0-knots
Top Speed 10.5 knots

Approximate Range 9.0 knots – 6400 NM
9.5 knots – 5500 NM
Note: speeds/ranges are for smooth water, 75,000 pound displacement, clean bottom

So 6400 NM with a 10% safety factor would be just over 7100 NM with no safety. That comes out to 2.1 nmpg. At 9.4 knots your chart shows 2.8 nmpg and a range of 8899 miles.

I don't doubt your numbers. Just interesting and wonder what the difference was. As top speed was also faster on their current site perhaps a larger engine.

IIRC the early 64's were just that, below 65' for a variety of reasons. Later they bolted on an extension. Because it was bolt-on the boat still officially measures at <65'. It gave more waterline length and undoubtedly speed and range. As well as desperately needed usable outside space. So perhaps both sets of numbers are correct, and reflect evolution of the design.

Last edited:
The data rates are enough for web connectivity and charges are reasonable under the circumstances. Yes, a lot higher cost then Richard's Delorme, which is still a fabulous piece of kit. But I would want to surf the net when other crew were on watch. I would always have a couple of other people on board...

Just for comparison here are some rate plans.

Compare

Since we're discussing satellite communications...

I have a KVH V3 Mini Vsat terminal on my boat.

It offers 2mbps download speeds, and crystal clear voice calling virtually anywhere in the world.

Cost is $0.99 per mbyte and $.049 per minute for voice calls with no other long distance charges.

prod_TPV3IP.jpg

I'm thinking about signing up with marinetraffic.com to upload AIS data to them so that friends and family can track our boat anywhere, any time.

Last edited:
From the East Atlantic, 6:15 est:

Ever read the book "The Angry Sea"
It's been riled up for two days now.
Winds were 20g 40 all night. I have the seas behind me, but they are 6 to 12'

It's quite a ride. I'm wedged into the ph bench.
When those big ones roll underneath, Dauntless looks up and then does it's like tail waggle.
Almost cute.

The front just passed thru as we texted.
Winds still 25 bit more due west. Sun just came out and all the low cloud are now east of me.

I'm hoping winds die down a bit as to not build big seas on my beam.

Lat 45.529318 Lon -16.006865

Last edited:
I have been bouncing passageweather.com off of Richard so we can verify it's accuracy. So far it has been spot on. Even the forecast for a few days ahead has been good. Here is what he said.
Looks like you have a keeper.
That wx is spot on.
SW at 20 g to 30
Seas 6 to 10, but with occasional 12'
I have it right behind me so it hasn't been that bad
It's been like this since yesterday late afternoon.
The key today is how long these strong westerlies last.
Lat 45.549005 Lon -15.966803

I then provided him with what the next few days look like on this site.

And more from Dauntless, 6:41 to 7:06am est:

It's sort of neat to see the top of an occasional wave st my eye level sitting here on my bench seat in the ph.

I'm almost tempted to do a 180.and see if I get green water over the bow, but I ain't doing that 400 miles from land.
Maybe 2 miles

Asked Richard how is holding up, spirits, health etc:
I'm holding up well. Only three days left.and I force myself to get as much sleep as I can whenever it's dark, as well as a nap during the day.

Getting the sleep has been the key.
Two ships were within AIS range last night. The closest they came was 6 nm.
I didn't wake got them.

Since I've figured out how to make radar alarms actually useful, That has allowed me to get more sleep than in the past.

We just rolled about 20° as a large wave passed underneath. Then Dauntless just puts her nose high on the air as the stern does a little waggle.

Without the Paravanes, that waggle becomes an ever increasing roll harmonic.
I'd be rolling 30° in each direction, total delta 60° Not dangerous, as long as

You have your seat belt on!
Don't ask how I know.

Lat 45.570538 Lon -15.922515

Told Richard, If you stay at sea any longer you are going to get scurvy!
From Dauntless, 8:10 est:

Hey listen,
It's bad enough that I finished my last pecan pie AND I have 20 cans of tuna fish, but NO mayonnaise.
AND really no other food.
BUT I do have

A case of manderin oranges.
So a few days again when I was complaining about no mayonnaise, Julie responded with, "well with all those oranges you have, at

Least you won't get scurvy.
And to think some TFers think I'm not prepared :)

Lat 45.633152 Lon -15.78538

AND really no other food. And no crew to cannibalize.

Possibly he can amend his AIS tag to include...Needs Mayo

Tuna and oranges! No rum!? For those of you that havent joined the Dauntless admiration group....maybe this would put you over the hump.

I can't fathom how 20g40 and mayo would go together, but that may be a function of my land locked life!!

Following this trip has been absolutely awesome!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom