Hawse pipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
I would like to replace all of mine . They are aluminum and two piece that meet in the center with a small gap for caulk . Any body know where to buy ? I need four total or 8 pieces .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 162
Good morning,
Why are you replacing?
I consider a "Hawspipe" to be a fairly vertical pipe for an anchor shank. And what you have as a "Hawshole" but perhaps both are hawsepipes.

We should do something about our scuppers. Your flanges look ideal for that but probably not the right size. Chris just carefully caulks around them as nothing but water goes through. But flanges like you have would be perfect if the right size.

I'll be looking for the links this thread stirs up.

Actually I was hoping someone was building a hawspipe for a Danforth type anchor in the bow. In the 50s it was a cherished shippy look for pleasure boats the size of our trawlers. Would be a good way of trimming 2or 3' off the moorage costs.

Chris on the job.

Attachments

• STH71247 copy 3.JPG
    STH71247 copy 3.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
I have to 2nd Mule's suggestion on Marine Liquidators. I can't swear to it, but my last trip over there, I think they had some chrome units.

Eric I really only need one half of one . The rest of them are kinda beat up so I thought I would change them all . Thanks everyone I will check it out .

I bought 2 of from Ronnie at Marine Liq a few months ago, had em milled down so they were almost touching when they were placed into the same transom hole for a single point ti run a tow line. They will be open Tues, I am a mile from them, I will pose their price and availability.

I bought 2 of from Ronnie at Marine Liq a few months ago, had em milled down so they were almost touching when they were placed into the same transom hole for a single point ti run a tow line. They will be open Tues, I am a mile from them, I will pose their price and availability.
Mule I'm sure that is what I will need to do . After taking a closer look at mine I noticed that they are not exactly the same thickness . I'm sure that is what the builder did.

Mine are the same on both sides of the transom. I needed no sharp edges either side because I have to do a 90 to hit a cleat. It is for dingy towing. They are stainless, very nice. Anyway I think I know what you need and I will ck it out, ha, like I need an excuse to go there, but it helps.

Last edited:
Good morning,
Why are you replacing?
I consider a "Hawspipe" to be a fairly vertical pipe for an anchor shank. And what you have as a "Hawshole" but perhaps both are hawsepipes.

We should do something about our scuppers. Your flanges look ideal for that but probably not the right size. Chris just carefully caulks around them as nothing but water goes through. But flanges like you have would be perfect if the right size.

I'll be looking for the links this thread stirs up.

Actually I was hoping someone was building a hawspipe for a Danforth type anchor in the bow. In the 50s it was a cherished shippy look for pleasure boats the size of our trawlers. Would be a good way of trimming 2or 3' off the moorage costs.

Chris on the job.
Eric my scuppers do not have any flange on either side . They are oval cutouts that are glassed over Ana flush to deck .

I will look mine over for the logo. They are pretty warn . I 'm sure I will have to change all of them out . Bronze would be nice .:dance:I bought some old bronze cleats from FF here on the forum . Heavy , traditional and they have nice patina . :thumb:

I would call around locally to prop shops and ask who still does bronze sand casting.

IF you can find a shop that works by the pound ,recast scrap is just fine.

The units shown as a Perko sucks as the corners where the line comes out are far too sharp and should have a radius closer to an inch or more.Esp if the unit will be forward and might take an anchor line.

Creating a plug for sand casting is quite simple , tho remember there will be a bit of shrinkage.
Soft pine , or even balsa painted is OK.

If you take them as cast and do a bit of filing , its the lowest cost.

A very soft radius IS harder to install, so most boat assemblers want to chop a hole with a jig saw and then plop in a nautical SS cover.

The extra work is worth it , even for just a dock line as in a blow it will be quieter below as you dont have to listen to your likes being sawed thru.

The Chinese units for larger sail boats are a delight as many have horns cast in to hold the line.

The danger of catching an ankle on the horn is worth the danger as the closeness to the tie up point means there is little line to stretch , so no sawing and no noise.

A really useful item is genuine hawse holes that accept the anchor.

The mud and gunk is never brought aboard , and the large size can handle a good gentle radius with ease.

DIY if you want the best, it may be cheaper! as well as better.

Last edited:
I finally got to marine Liq. They have some but I am not sure they have your size, the prices were all over the map depending on size and material. The size I "think" you want I did not find suitable hardware. I think post number 3 by PS does look promising. Hamilton Marine.

Last edited:
Thanks for checking Mule . Thanks psneeld those look like the ones.

Mule,
Your old ones are Wilcox-Crittenden #16725.
Following is a page from a 1976 Wilcox catalog.
Wilcox called the metal Marinium. It was an aluminum alloy but they kept the formula secret.

Attachments

• Scan10011.jpg
    Scan10011.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 135
Mule,
Your old ones are Wilcox-Crittenden #16725.
Following is a page from a 1976 Wilcox catalog.
Wilcox called the metal Marinium. It was an aluminum alloy but they kept the formula secret.
Thanks for the info Parks . Probably just wind up replacing all 8 pcs with something new.

Good morning,
Why are you replacing?
I consider a "Hawspipe" to be a fairly vertical pipe for an anchor shank. And what you have as a "Hawshole" but perhaps both are hawsepipes.........

...........Actually I was hoping someone was building a hawspipe for a Danforth type anchor in the bow. In the 50s it was a cherished shippy look for pleasure boats the size of our trawlers. Would be a good way of trimming 2or 3' off the moorage costs.

I agree wholeheartedly about the cherished "shippy" look of an anchor in a hawse pipe (note the "fake" wooden strip guard plate). However, I built mine primarily as convenient way to store (and deploy) a large secondary anchor.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Steve

anchors%2520003.jpg

Yes this is what i envision as a hawspipe.

Attachments

• STH71062 copy 2.jpg
    STH71062 copy 2.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF1514 copy 3.jpg
    DSCF1514 copy 3.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCF1474 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF1474 copy 2.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCF0811 copy.jpg
    DSCF0811 copy.jpg