Boomarang and the Fales 30 vs. 32 debate....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougd1

Moderator Emeritus
Over the years I have been asked if Boomarang was a Fales 32.* It is not.* Mr. Fales cut his Willard supplied hull mold up and added the extra 2 feet sometime after my boat was pulled from the mold.* He added the extra length right in the center of the boat.* I do not believe that the hull was widened.

My guess would be that the Fales 32 is about 32 ft. on deck with a beam of 10.5 ft.* My Fales is almost exactly 30 ft. from stem to stern (minus any anchor rollers).* The hull is identical to the Willard 30, however, I have been unable to determine if the upper part of the boat was pulled from any Willard supplied molds.

I would love to know how many Fales were built.* I have never seen another Fales 30 but I have seen 2 other 32's.* When I bought Boomarang I had never even heard of a Fales.* Nor had I heard of a Willard for that matter.* Boomarang was found in Port Arthur, TX after a cruising couple left it to sell while moving to the west coast.* I was not even in the market for a boat at the time but couldn't resist her salty looks.

My will instructs my remains to be placed on her where she will be hauled to sea and scuttled!* (I sure hope it sinks.)
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• boomarang at rest.jpg
    boomarang at rest.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,370
Where was Fales building his boats?** I thought my Willard was built in '74, and it does by the way look exactly like yours, deck structures and all, or it did before I started customizing mine.* How could Fales have had the molds at the same time as Willard/* Did they co-own them.* Does yours have glass over plywood decks and cabins?* Does it have the forward engine, and full headliner for the hull?

You can see from the picture that I have cut off most of the cowls that formed the enclosure on the boat deck.* I also am in the process of raising the wheel-house roof.* I have a bit bigger rig, 24 foot mast, which I have yet to try out.* Maybe she will sail off the wind a bit in a Gale.

Dan, I will answer for Doug since he doesn't come on often anymore. I will also warn you that I don't really know what I am talking about but I will give it a shot based on what Doug has told me in the past.

Fales and Willard struck a deal for Fales to build Willards on the East Coast in the Rhode Island I believe. If you're familiar with Pearson(aka Tillotson Pearson, aka TPI), I do believe that is where the boats were built. Mr. Fales was building Willards(I honestly don't know if he actually completed any but that was the way it was supposed to work) but he started modifying the boats without authorization from Willard....a rogue boatbuilder if ya will. Obviously, this did not settle well with Willard so they parted ways and Fales continued building boats under his name. I have no clue of any legal battle between the two.

Willard owners somewhat thumb their noses at Fales since it is not a "true" Willard but a knockoff. I can tell you I have been aboard 2 Fales and they are VERY well built. If there is anything that TPI is known for, it is their glasswork. In fact, There have been issues with "real" WIllards with regards to glasswork and blisters.

That is all I know and like I said, I have no idea of the validity of it. Maybe I can get aDoug on here to speak up.

Thanks John Baker for that info.

I had heard that bit about the fales and all the hub-bub involved.* A little confused as to how the Fales were being built in the same year as the Willards. And on different coasts!** Somehow it makes me think that there were two molds, or someone has their date mixed up.

Anyway, as for the gel coat issues, mine is no exception.* The previous owner tried to deny to himself that there was an issue by painting over the cracked deck.** I have bitten the bullet an have just delivered mine to a fibreglass shop for a complete deck make-over, rail to rail, grinding off the paint and gel, then a new layer of glass then awl=grip.* SHould be ready for another 30.

Thanks again.

Dan

Baker wrote:

Fales and Willard struck a deal for Fales to build Willards on the East Coast in the Rhode Island I believe. If you're familiar with Pearson(aka Tillotson Pearson, aka TPI), I do believe that is where the boats were built.

That is all correct.* Fales was a franchisee to Willard Marine in Costa Mesa, CA.* Willard Marine would build boats on the West Coast and Fales on the East Coast.

Mr. Fales was building Willards(I honestly don't know if he actually completed any but that was the way it was supposed to work)

That is correct.* A second set of tooling was constructed by WMI, including topside tooling, for construction on the East Coast.

but he started modifying the boats without authorization from Willard....a rogue boatbuilder if ya will. Obviously, this did not settle well with Willard so they parted ways and Fales continued building boats under his name.

That is correct.* Almost from the start, Fales severed communications with Willard Marine, so WMI had no idea what he was doing.* WMI was unable to determine if Fales was following the agreed*contract specifications.* Evidently, Fales built a couple of 30 foot boats from the Willard tooling but failed to pay the agreed on "franchise fee" for those boats.* Then he cut the Willard tooling up and added two feet to the length and said it was no longer a Willard, but a Fales and he no longer owed Willard anything.

*I have no clue of any legal battle between the two.

No, there was no legal battle.* WMI* decided that it was not worth their time to get involved in a legal battle because they held themselves responsible for entering into an agreement that was ill considered.

Willard owners somewhat thumb their noses at Fales since it is not a "true" Willard but a knockoff.

That is a completely unfair statement!

The Willard Boat Owner's list welcomes owners of all boats, including Fales, as well as non-owners.* The problem is that Fales owners believe their boat systems are exactly like a Willard, and they are not.* Fales did his own thing*with regards to specifications and systems.* The only thing that is the same is the hull and deck tooling for the first couple of boats (nobody from Willard knows the number for sure, since there was no communication from Fales).

*I can tell you I have been aboard 2 Fales and they are VERY well built. If there is anything that TPI is known for, it is their glasswork. In fact, There have been issues with "real" WIllards with regards to glasswork and blisters.

Again, this is an unfair statement.* Yes, some Willards (but not all) from the earlier years have developed blisters.**And it has been reported by Fales and Pearson owners that some of their hulls developed blisters too.* The problem was caused the fire retardent resins that were required at that time.* Since there were only two companies that supplied resins to the marine industry at that time, the problem was pretty much industry-wide.* Willard has always been recognized in the industry for their quality glasswork.

-- Edited by alohaboat on Saturday 27th of November 2010 07:11:03 AM

I own a 1973 fales navigator hull #001.i think this must be one of the two produced by fales before cutting the mould & adding two feet.
the original instruction manual cover reads: instruction manual for vega 30 series by willard vega inc.the delivery check list inside the manual
has it isted as willard boat works vega 30,searcher model hull#001 n1.the boat works is crossed off & hand written in its place is vega inc.
the searcher model is crossed off & navigator written in its place.
until reading the above i still thought it was a willard horizon.
thanks for all the info.

Boomerang

Over the years I have been asked if Boomarang was a Fales 32.* It is not.* Mr. Fales cut his Willard supplied hull mold up and added the extra 2 feet sometime after my boat was pulled from the mold.* He added the extra length right in the center of the boat.* I do not believe that the hull was widened.

My guess would be that the Fales 32 is about 32 ft. on deck with a beam of 10.5 ft.* My Fales is almost exactly 30 ft. from stem to stern (minus any anchor rollers).* The hull is identical to the Willard 30, however, I have been unable to determine if the upper part of the boat was pulled from any Willard supplied molds.

I would love to know how many Fales were built.* I have never seen another Fales 30 but I have seen 2 other 32's.* When I bought Boomarang I had never even heard of a Fales.* Nor had I heard of a Willard for that matter.* Boomarang was found in Port Arthur, TX after a cruising couple left it to sell while moving to the west coast.* I was not even in the market for a boat at the time but couldn't resist her salty looks.

My will instructs my remains to be placed on her where she will be hauled to sea and scuttled!* (I sure hope it sinks.)
biggrin.gif

Question for 'Boomerang' owner: what is the height from waterline to top of your steadying mast ? [for bridge clearance purposes] - Many thanks !

dougd1 sold Boomerang to someone who is also now a member of the forum though his screen name alludes my memory now. If he doesn't chime in soon I'll shake the cobwebs out of my brain and send him a private message to answer your question.

Boomarang is a beautiful vessel and hopefully he will attach some new photos of it. (Hint hint)

Question for 'Boomerang' owner: what is the height from waterline to top of your steadying mast ? [for bridge clearance purposes] - Many thanks !

Fxjohn, the vertical clearance is about 22' depending upon load.

Boomarang is a beautiful vessel and hopefully he will attach some new photos of it. (Hint hint)

CP, here are a few fairly recent pics. Just finishing up upgrades to the engine compartment. Will post those when complete. And, thanks for the compliments . . . . again! :blush:

Larry
M/V Boomarang

Attachments

• IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_2451.jpg
    IMG_2451.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 970
  • IMG_2436.jpg
    IMG_2436.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 838
  • IMG_2291.jpg
    IMG_2291.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_2545.jpg
    IMG_2545.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_2283.jpg
    IMG_2283.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 243
Beautiful helmstation.

How'ed you get the rudder so clean?

You think I should put a zinc on my rudder shaft too?

Fxjohn, the vertical clearance is about 22' depending upon load.

CP, here are a few fairly recent pics. Just finishing up upgrades to the engine compartment. Will post those when complete. And, thanks for the compliments . . . . again! :blush:

Larry
M/V Boomarang

That's BEAUTIFUL. If it was here, and I saw a For Sale sign on it, I would be coming home saying "hey honey, guess what I bought today?". SWEET

Beautiful helmstation.

How'ed you get the rudder so clean?

You think I should put a zinc on my rudder shaft too?

Eric,

I recently had to have the rudder rebuilt because the shaft was rotating in the rudder blade due to erosion. The new shaft is SS and the blade is bronze. With that in mind, and in light of the rate at which the rudder zincs were deteriorating, I decided to use a zinc on the shaft as well. It also serves as a stop in the event the rudder is lifted due to a grounding.

The machine shop cleaned the rudder blade and I had both the prop and the rudder coated with PropSpeed. We'll see how well that works.

Glad you like the helm. Not much real estate for instruments on a Willard/Fales panel. I relocated the compass to the centerline, sailboat style to get a little more room. I had to make an extension to mount the Kobelt single-lever control because of its size. Smooth though, and the upper station is too. Kobelt is the only manufacturer of a single-lever, two-station mechanical control that actually works. With 5 steering turns lock/lock and a single screw, the single-lever control is a blessing. I don't need three hands anymore. OK, the new thruster helps a lot too . . . :socool:

Here's a little wider shot that includes the compass.

Larry
M/V Boolmarang

Attachments

• IMG_2548.jpg
    IMG_2548.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 282
Beautiful boat....BTW. Does Texas City still speed trap just past the curve on 45? I also will just bet Texas City still stinks. I was in Friendswood from 73 to 86.
You have the boat I wanted the whole time I lived there. Perfect for rig fishing w/o the punishment of outboard fuel cost. 2 guys go out of Freeport Friday before midnight, start a watch rotation, come back Sunday with a lotta fish and a low fuel burn.

Beautiful boat....BTW. Does Texas City still speed trap just past the curve on 45? I also will just bet Texas City still stinks. I was in Friendswood from 73 to 86.
You have the boat I wanted the whole time I lived there. Perfect for rig fishing w/o the punishment of outboard fuel cost. 2 guys go out of Freeport Friday before midnight, start a watch rotation, come back Sunday with a lotta fish and a low fuel burn.

Mule,

Well, the bad news is that speed trap now starts at 2351 and continues all the way to the beach. The good news is that the air and water seem to be cleaner than when you lived here.

As for the fishing trip from Freeport, it would work if the boat were kept in Freeport, but Boomarang lives at South Shore Harbor on the South side of Clear Lake, 63NM or almost 10 hours away. Would have to leave on Thrusday . . :facepalm:

Life in the slow lane, but it sure doesn't take much fuel to get there, or anywhere else for that matter.

Larry
M/V Boomarang

Yeah, long ways from anything from Kemah, Clear Lake or Seabrook unless you can go out at Rollover Pass....kayak, maybe? Moving her to Galveston would make the rigs on my schedule but then 30 miles of speed traps..2351, 518 (NR1), 517 but still faster than 5.5 knots.:) I caught a lot of redfish in Big Pasture Bayou in the neck feeding the marsh lakes in the fall, right after fall fronts move through....drag big spoons during tidal flow, in or out. I launched at Charipo's, went through to the cut to the bay, took a right....see chart. Best inshore fishing I have ever experienced.

Looks wise, it's hard to imagine a better, more balanced trawler than Boomerang. It oozes!

Mule,

Well, the bad news is that speed trap now starts at 2351 and continues all the way to the beach. The good news is that the air and water seem to be cleaner than when you lived here.

As for the fishing trip from Freeport, it would work if the boat were kept in Freeport, but Boomarang lives at South Shore Harbor on the South side of Clear Lake, 63NM or almost 10 hours away. Would have to leave on Thrusday . . :facepalm:

Life in the slow lane, but it sure doesn't take much fuel to get there, or anywhere else for that matter.

Larry
M/V Boomarang
What a beauty,I looked at Fales Navigator 32 motor sailors before purchasing my Gulfstar 36 Mark II. I sure wish I bough one of the Fales!
Bill

What a beauty,I looked at Fales Navigator 32 motor sailors before purchasing my Gulfstar 36 Mark II. I sure wish I bough one of the Fales!
Bill

Thanks Bill,

The Fales is a great 'little' boat, but the emphasis is definitely on 'little'. especially when compared to your Gulfstar. I'll bet it is almost twice the interior size of my boat. The longer I own it, the smaller it feels . . . . . :D

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom