It’s Showtime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Roger that. He is certainly running a straight course now.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I find it amusing to read some of the comments on this thread where "sailors" who have never had, and never will have the bravery or fortitude to take on what Richard has, judge his wisdom, or his decision making skills.

Hats off to you Richard!

That's why I'm not advising him, and I guess it's also why I'll never get a Captain Cojones Award.:blush:

From Richard on M/V Dauntless 6:15 am, est:

Morning,
A quick update.
Only the second clear day since Rhode Island.
Also, InReach was in window and have me a heat warning so had to turn it off

For a bit.
Working fine now, but just want to tell you in case I go if the air, it doesn't mean
I sank!
Again, all is well now. Boat too. Stl getting 4.2nm/gal

Richard
Bost sent this message from:
Lat 43.575703 Lon -17.96078

More from Dauntless, this morning, had just asked him several general questions. 7:06 est:

Yes to all. Position correct.
Looks like 4 days and 4 nights. I'm just barely making 6kts @1600 rpm and I don't want to run faster until I'm closer.

I was telling Roger? That had a little frontal passage last night.
I slept thru it, but noticed the winds were NW for a while.

Also got a 40 kt gust.

I'm good. Just hoping I csn keep these sw winds for a few days.

Richard Bost sent this message from:
Lat 43.64925 Lon -17.917157

Also asked him if his first port of call is still Castletownbere, I asked the question just shortly before receiving texts above.

Asking Dauntless if Castletownbere is his destination, received the following at 7:43 est:

Yes, but in the next day I'll look at the cruise guide to see how it is on bad wx.

And there is also the risk that strong westerlies will push me to far east, at which point I'll go to Waterford, or even England

Lat 43.70915 Lon -17.877975

I have been chatting with Richard for a while this morning. We discussed weather and I provided weather and seas from passageweather.com for the next few days on his route. He also gave me weather lessons over thousands of miles. Man he really knows his stuff and knows how it affects him on the water. Blubyu covered pretty much of the types of discussions I had with him. He is going to have a fun and challenging next few days but he knows. It was enjoyable conversation and I can't wait till he speaks somewhere back here.

We also discussed other specifics on the weather and I deferred to Dan which Richard said he would be getting from him later today. Dan has been the point man on weather and I only discuss passageweather.com, which Richard likes. He and I refer to Dan for the technical aspects. We never provide recommendations, just the information.

Late to the thread but read all 32 pages- better than a novel!
Very exciting and educational. Such guts!
Thanks to all. Prayers with Richard.

rclark

It sure is a great thread thanks to Richard and all the TF team

Same here. You really don't realize how much there is to learn that can be helpful till you cruise along with Dauntless!

Well put!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

so TRUE Roger

My long runs seem like child's play in comparison

Just Chatting with Richard, about the above traffic observation, asked him if the vessels sightings are increasing, 11:11am est:

Oh yes. Not last night, but previous two days did see ships again.

Lat 44.018237 Lon -17.691507

Does anybody know if he has AIS?

Bob

Yes he does but is cruising in "out of range" area.

Last known location: Horta....makes sense.

Previous port: Norfolk....that was many stops ago.

And here comes the best one.....

Destination: Miami

Boy did he make a wrong turn...lol

Yes he does but is cruising in "out of range" area.

Last known location: Horta....makes sense.

Previous port: Norfolk....that was many stops ago.

And here comes the best one.....

Destination: Miami

Boy did he make a wrong turn...lol

Saw that also, guess he had too many other things on his mind...:angel:

I have been following this amazing trip and sharing it with my family. I am curious about how long and where Richard sleeps. Is it in the pilot house or in a berth below. I cannot believe how amazing an undertaking this is. Part of me would like to be there with him on the trip and part of me cannot fathom this kind of crossing. Makes my little trips seem trivial yet I realize it is completely a different level of boating being demonstrated and documented. Is there a background on how he worked up to this kind of crossing skills and competence I could read? We have looked at KK 42's but it never crossed our minds they could do this kind of travel.

Just checking back as I didn't remember. He left Horta on the 18th and anticipated 7.5 days journey. As of this morning he was projecting 4 days and 4 nights remaining. That makes it a 10 day trip. That may be quite typical for crossings but always something to consider when planning food, water, fuel and crew.

Keith: I think you'd find all the info you're looking for on his blog, the link of which was published on the first post of the thread. You should also know that he is a very experienced Meteorologist. It helps.

I have been following this amazing trip and sharing it with my family. I am curious about how long and where Richard sleeps. Is it in the pilot house or in a berth below. I cannot believe how amazing an undertaking this is. Part of me would like to be there with him on the trip and part of me cannot fathom this kind of crossing. Makes my little trips seem trivial yet I realize it is completely a different level of boating being demonstrated and documented. Is there a background on how he worked up to this kind of crossing skills and competence I could read? We have looked at KK 42's but it never crossed our minds they could do this kind of travel.

There is a lot of Richard's boating history in the archives. He is very intelligent, and a fast learner. He has documented his trips since buying Dauntless warts and all. A very candid account. We have followed him on his first trip from FL to the North, back down to Miami, over to the Bahamas and back North to Rhode Island again. During that time he took the ocean master course, and prepared Dauntless for the crossing.

All in all it is an amazing compendium of his determination to do this.

More from Dauntless 12:54pm to 1:04 est:

I check fuel about once a day, but in a moving boat, using sight tubes, it is a bit of an est.
But I check consumption to make sure the data fits.

Earlier I had taken a reading which translated into 60 gal less than it should be.
I just rechecked and I found my missing fuel.
I had read "13", but it is 15"

So I'm still slightly better than 4nm/gal.
Only 550 to go and I have 250gal left.

You know, for the cost of an AIS transceiver, you would think that it works have the capability to store data for at least a few days and download all later.

Iow, a ship sees my ais, two days later he's coming into NY, his data is download to s central server and it sees they this is the most recent location for D(ays?)

Lat 44.208567 Lon -17.561473

Not to diminish Richards journey as I think it's great, but I ran across this on another forum. www.oogachaka.info/blog It just puts another feather in the KK42's hat. I have been fond of them for many years and would love to have one but the wife is not to keen on them so we know how that goes.

I just sent a bunch of texts to Richard.

There are two lows west of Ireland that are going to merge just off the coast into a big bigger storm in about 48 hours from now. 3, 4, and 5 meter waves just south of Ireland but I think Dauntless will still be hundreds of miles south of that mess.

I looked at the Irish weather office, which was not very helpful if cruising TO Ireland but it would be helpful once there or maybe 24 hours out. One interesting item I saw is that a weather station off the NNW coast recorded a 23.4 meter wave :eek::hide: on 1/26/2014. Largest wave recorded since 2011!

Richard really just wants to see the current surface charts and nothing more. I HAVE to look at the other charts! :rofl: I guess with his experience he can figure things out with just the surface chart. :) I need/want more. :D

Later,
Dan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom