2017 35th America's Cup Protocol Released

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, National Football (most or all codes) teams have to be citizens of the country at least, even if not born there. This is true of the Football (soccer) world cup and similarly for Rugby and most other sports, fielding national teams. Of course in the 'World Series" baseball, all the teams are in the US I believe, so that's kinda different.

Interesting, thanks for that. I wonder how common immigration to a new country is when large money contracts are on the line?

I enjoyed the Americas cup for the first time last year

If anybody doesn't think these boats were being pushed the limit, they just weren't there. I raced cats and planning dingy's for better than 25 years and I have a feel for what those boats were like. The acceleration was hard to believe. These boats were on the edge anytime the wind was up. The tv coverage made it interesting for nonsailors and sailors alike. The races were explained and people on the shore could actually see who was leading. For once the boats actually looked fast. This was racing that you didn't have to be a monohull racing snob to understand. Imagine pitch polling at 40knts and being throw into the air from 40 plus ft. Maybe smaller boats will bring in more contenders and more competition. If you weren't there to see these boats you have no concept as to how fast these boats were. What I would like to see is the format change from match racing to fleet racing.

I guess when I said arbitrary, that's what I meant. Made to fit into TV scheduling. Rather weird right. I mean, can you see them stopping Superbowl a few minutes before the end because they had had too many time-outs and the set TV time was over - I think not - or maybe they might..?

Yes, you were right, there were a couple of Aussie Bros in there…so were there actually any US citizens in Oracle at all..? I know they roped in a Brit as navigator when the US guy seemed to be out of his depth a bit. Dammit - he was good.

Yes, there were 2 US crew for the 1st five races, until Kostecki was replaced, and obviously only 1 after that. The rest were from -

Australia - 4
New Zealand - 2
Italy - 1
The Netherlands - 1
Great Britian - 1
Antigua - 1

If anybody doesn't think these boats were being pushed the limit, they just weren't there. I raced cats and planning dingy's for better than 25 years and I have a feel for what those boats were like. The acceleration was hard to believe. These boats were on the edge anytime the wind was up. The tv coverage made it interesting for nonsailors and sailors alike. The races were explained and people on the shore could actually see who was leading. For once the boats actually looked fast. This was racing that you didn't have to be a monohull racing snob to understand. Imagine pitch polling at 40knts and being throw into the air from 40 plus ft. Maybe smaller boats will bring in more contenders and more competition. If you weren't there to see these boats you have no concept as to how fast these boats were. What I would like to see is the format change from match racing to fleet racing.

Agree to everything except the fleet racing. While I love fleet racing, for the AC I don't think it would be near as good. A slower boat is surely going to get in the way of faster boats at some point and screw it all up (just watch the 45's and you'll see). This is the ultimate for this sport, and one on one for all the marbles is the only way to go, IMHO

Some people seem to be so competitive they can't make friendly with the opposition.

That's disappointing news Al. Also, news which we here in Australia have not yet been advised of, suggesting they are not proud of what they have done. Dammit. I was thinking with a team in it, we would get more involved here. I have also not heard if NZ is going to have another go either. You would probably know about that as well..?

An Australian withdrawal has not had publicity here. Knew something was up, I`ve not had a call about crewing.
Oatley Wines were the sponsor? I think they are doing ok, the annual Hamilton Isl. Race Week is being publicised, so the cause is probably not $ related.

I detect gamesmanship and 11th hour negotiations. A lot can happen between now and Aug 8.

It's not money and the lack of Australian news coverage is deafening.

Bruce, I was hoping you guys down under would have more info. I smell a rat in the protocols announced, especially the one that allows OTUSA 2 boats, but everyone else is only allowed 1. What's up with that?

One boat only for the challengers to keep the costs down. Lower costs equals more teams. We'll see,

Two boats for Oracle because they won't have anybody else to test against.

Challengers can, and will, test against each other. Oracle will race against some of the other boats in the World Series events, but that is not anything like the testing that is needed (testing needs to be with controlled situations).

The rules requires the AC62s be used for all events in 2017, so there will be no spare in the event of a capsize or pitch-pole, which is a good possibility on these foiling hulls. Seems to be an over-restrictive limitation to prohibit the use of a second boat by challengers. If they want to compete with one boat, then fine. But why not allow two boats for those teams willing to put the money into it? This seems like an unfair advantage for OTUSA to be able to be the only team to go through the prep stages and into the races with a spare vessel.

As mentioned, it's about the costs. If 2 boats are allowed, the costs rise quite a bit and the syndicates that can afford it will build 2, leaving the less sponsored teams with only 1 boat and not much of a chance to win (in theory). If they don't think they have a chance, entries will be down. Remember the last cup? When ETNZ began foiling (they were the first) a couple of teams dropped out as they then knew they had no chance (at least that was their claim).

And, there hasn't been as much push back from the challengers as you would think on this point, so it's not a ridiculous rule in their minds.

Well, they did cut the size down to 62 and the crew to 8, so the costs are being contained there. Denying other teams the option of having a second vessel as a spare seems a bit one-sided. I'm not suggesting every team MUST have a second boat...just the option of building one, if desired.

Has there been a similar boat number restriction on teams in the past?

IMO, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Today`s News: Team Australia announced its withdrawal due to costs exceeding expectations. The announcement was made by "Billionaire wine baron and Hamilton Isl. Yacht Club owner", Bob Oatley.
Sadly, it turns out cost(or perhaps, the willingness to spend) was a factor. The expense of mounting a campaign, with boats so high tech, must be huge. The implication seems to be that attracting sponsors, and underestimated costs, were involved.

No restrictions in the past (that I've ever heard of).

They're trying to get the AC more commercialized worldwide and they need more countries and competitors in order to do it. Therefore, they need to get the costs down. One boat programs are the best way to do it.

They're trying to get the AC more commercialized worldwide and they need more countries and competitors in order to do it. Therefore, they need to get the costs down. One boat programs are the best way to do it.

True statement but they need to maintain the quality of participants to a high standard too. This is perhaps the best opportunity to expand interest in the sport on the heels of the most exciting AC in history. If "dumbed down" and low cost/performing entrants are attracted you will have a real yawner for the follow up act. That could set the series back 20 years IMO.

The real cost reduction comes from running the same boats in the series of qualifiers. Running two boats is expensive enough without adding two more smaller boats too.

I see the current rules as a huge cost reduction and question the real motive of the Australian syndicates withdrawal. Money is a convenient scapegoat but it makes no logical sense when analyzed a bit.

Damn disappointing as far as I'm concerned. Now I'll just have to hope me fellow NZers stump up enough to a challenge. Surely as they came soooo close last time they can't let it lie.

Here's hoping anyway…
Team New Zealand have signalled their intentions though their first test will come with the entry deadline and the US$1m fee.

Read more: Mystery surrounds Team Australia's withdrawal from America's Cup

Yes, very disappointing. It's been a while since we were involved in the race.

It's not as though we don't have the sailors.

Well actually we don't, you've got them, but you know what I mean. ;)

With no Aussie or New Zealand entries it will open up a lot of talent to be hired by smaller syndicates.

True, but it's pretty pathetic, when you consider how many crews include Aussies and Kiwis. Oracle's skipper, Spithill, being an Aussie, and this Russell Coutts is a turncoat Kiwi, who deserted his NZ crew once he helped win it for them, then sold himself to Alinghi, a Swiss entry, and helped take it off them again, and now has sold himself to Oracle, being their spokesman. You would think Australia could at least finance one entry.

Next A.C. viewer's are going to miss the San Francisco skyline. (Photo by FlyWright or was it Mahalo Moi?)

img_252401_0_ecf6def6c902dc00febb457a9823e25a.jpg

Last edited:
This cup will be very different for Emirates Team N Z

Easy Flywright my heart won't handle another up and down like that last go round..

It would actually make a pretty good basis for a movie.

Back
Top Bottom