Any Experience with Mermaid Manufacturing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's what I was sorta thinking too- actually we have a front 16k unit as well. I picked up the cover today and will install snaps and install this weekend I hope.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

if you look at my profile and see the covers thats the way i kept my boat cool

Capt.,
I checked using two thermometers at the same time. One inserted in the return air "filter" on the unit and the other inserted in the saloon vent. I can't remember exactly, but it dropped some at night and steadily increased during the day. A steady 20 degree differential for the most part. Coolest temp was around 61.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

This is the boat with the cover off. It covers front three windows and then wraps around to catch one window on each side. Boat faces South. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1408809664.483637.jpg

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Capt.,
I checked using two thermometers at the same time. One inserted in the return air "filter" on the unit and the other inserted in the saloon vent. I can't remember exactly, but it dropped some at night and steadily increased during the day. A steady 20 degree differential for the most part. Coolest temp was around 61.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

The outlet air temp should be in the mid 50s. Is your outlet air duct insulated?

Well... Not exactly. Temp out depends on where you start. Non insulated ductwork, but only a 3' run (inside the locker).

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Well... Not exactly. Temp out depends on where you start.
✌️

To a point. But on most A/Cs you will see outlet temps in the mid 50s to low 60s pretty quickly after they start up. If you've got the right sized unit and it is functioning properly. At least that is what I've seen over the years.

True and that is what is so puzzling about this situation. With the temp/ humidity coming up so much AND the removal of the window covering, a lot of things changed at once. I certainly thought it would make a noticeable difference, and it didn't.

I have been working on my Ford 6.0 engine all day (died Wednesday, hauled to my shop) and probably won't make it to Gulfport tomorrow to install the new "bra".

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Yeah window covers make a huge difference in the heat load. But it should have cooled down well at night.

Well.. Today I got to the boat around 2:00 with the new replacement window cover. I held it in place with tape/ etc. as I measured up and installed the snaps to match the existing ones on the boat. This gave me sun blockage for the rest of the afternoon while the recently installed Mermaid AC unit did it's job. The humidity was high again today, but the temp was 5 degrees lower than my last time to Gulfport. I'm not happy to report that by 6:15 PM today the unit had only been able to cool the saloon down to about 92 degrees per the thermostat (about waist height). Temps at the unit were 72 out of supply side, and 92 at the "filter". Rather than trying to make it through the night with no better cooling than that, we opted to come home. I'm a little frustrated here. The 31 year old (I believe) rusted out Cruise Air 16K unit I removed actually still cooled the boat fairly well, it just had a slow leak. I'm gonna shoot an email to tech-supportImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1409542651.231705.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1409542675.294889.jpg Tuesday AM followed up with a call.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Yea, sounds like something is not right with that machine.

Update- after discussing with the tech at Mermaid they asked me to package the unit back (they sent a box and paid freight). I was promised to be put at the front of the list- which was the case. The expansion valve was sticking- which is what the tech thought he would find. I installed Friday evening and enjoyed a cool boat this weekend. Supply air is now a chilly 50 degrees.
Ultimately I'm very happy with the product and warranty service- but be aware that service work will probably require removal and shipping back. After 6 months, the freight will be at your expense as I recall.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I could use a little advise

Update- after discussing with the tech at Mermaid they asked me to package the unit back (they sent a box and paid freight). I was promised to be put at the front of the list- which was the case. The expansion valve was sticking- which is what the tech thought he would find. I installed Friday evening and enjoyed a cool boat this weekend. Supply air is now a chilly 50 degrees.
Ultimately I'm very happy with the product and warranty service- but be aware that service work will probably require removal and shipping back. After 6 months, the freight will be at your expense as I recall.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135'. Hi my name is Tim I see you have a present sundeck trawler I am in process of buying a 1988 42 ft present sundeck trawler with twin 135 lemans the engines have 5 k hours and so does generator just wondering if you could offer some advice to help me decide on this purchase ]

When it comes to AC units one of the main factors is air flow. The grey flexible ducting is really handy, but it is more restrictive than large thin wall PVC pipe using "Swept" elbows instead of 90 degree fittings. You can improve air flow dramatically using this type of ducting. Also to keep the coil air intake as clean as possible consider using a home air filter as your primary filter in your return air. When the coil air intake fins do get dirty you can purchase an AC foam spray cleaner made by Cobra to clean them. Just spray on the Cobra foam, watch it expand, let it sit for a few minutes and low pressure hose off. Because of the fins obviously do not use a brush. My unit was 8 years old and I was surprised how much black soot looking stuff come out. The Cobra AC cleaner can be found at http://www.mainsupplies.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=60

Back
Top Bottom