Ferry And Pleasure Boat Collide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
Found on Chuck's Waterway Guide Board

Yea... It's a trawler :(

http://www.professionalmariner.com/...0&tier=3&nid=FB8E42086AB4483D918820D731BB85AD

<h1 class="ArticleIssueNme" style="margin:0px;">Ferry, yacht collide in channel near Okracoke, N.C.
</h1>

OCRACOKE, N.C. The Coast Guard responded to a boat collision in the ferry channel in Ocracoke, Saturday night.

Coast Guard Sector North Carolina received a radio call from a crewmember aboard the ferry Carteret, which travels from Cedar Island to Ocracoke, at 8:30 p.m. stating that there had been a collision between the ferry and a 35-foot motor yacht.

The ferry had eight passengers, one car and the crew aboard. The yacht, Tony C, had two crewmembers and two dogs aboard.

A 25-foot Response Boat Small crew from Coast Guard Station Ocracoke responded and transferred two crewmembers and the dogs to Station Ocracoke to awaiting Coast Guard emergency medical technicians. The two individuals were cleared with no severe injuries.

No one aboard the Carteret was injured. Coast Guard personnel inspected the ferry and found no major damage. The Carteret was brought back to Ocracoke.

The yacht was damaged and has a hole from slightly above the waterline to the deck.

A 47-foot Motor Life Boat crew from Coast Guard Station Hatters Inlet was deployed to tow the yacht to shallow water.

The cause of the collision is under Coast Guard investigation.

Like, where did you get your license?
*Cracker Jacks.

One good reason for Radar and perhaps that new thing I think it is called*SAS or something like that.* Some sort of anti collision system.

SD

Hiya,
** Even not knowing the details, I suspect the ferry captain was not at fault and the other "captain" would probably not have, or be required to have a licence.
** I've crossed numerous paths of vessels of all kinds and right of way has never entered my mind.* I just try to stay the hell away from EVERYBODY.

GonzoF1 wrote:
The yacht was damaged and has a hole from slightly above the waterline to the deck.
I just looked at the photos.* That damage description is the understatement of the year.* There MUST be more to this story than "trawler ignores ferry horn warning blasts and cuts ferry off in channel".* I hope.*
confuse.gif

From teh International Collision Regulations in the Canada Shipping Act:

Rule 5: Keep a proper lookout

Rule 2: Responsibility
(a)
Nothing in these Rules shall exonerate any vessel, or the owner, master or crew thereof, from the consequences of any neglect to comply with these Rules or of the neglect of any precaution which may be required by the ordinary practice of seamen, or by the special circumstances of the case.

(b)
In construing and complying with these Rules due regard shall be had to all dangers of navigation and collision and to any special circumstances, including the limitations of the vessels involved, which may make a departure from these Rules necessary to avoid immediate danger.

So whoever thought he might have the right of way, was not lessening his own responsibility in the situation. If a collision occurs, you are at least partly responsible for it.

In BC, the Kwok case a few years ago, a ferry overtook a power vessel on the ferry's Starboard side, rolling her over, killing 2. The court found the Ferry 2/3 at fault, for failing to appreciate that the vessels were on a collision course and avoiding that collision, the pleasure boat 1/3 at fault for failing to keep a proper lookout and avoiding the collision.

So it doesn't matter who has the right of way, both are at fault.

"collided around 8:30 p.m"
That would be either dusk or dark.

I suspect someone didnt know their lights and perhaps someone else didnt have lights on. Both boats were relatively slow moving vehicles.
R,.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom