View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #1
bshillam
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Roll up wood table.

I actually made the first proto of my roll up table and it worked wonderfully. I took it camping and set up our coffee station on it. Just like other roll up tables it won't hold 200lbs of stuff but plates, dinner, lunch and what not it would do wonderfully. I actually thought about putting my 50lb five year old on the top just for a photo shoot..... :a4: Here are two pictures of the first. I am going to be offering these for sale and thought I would just get some feedback.
This was my inspiration originally as my folks have several,

Camp Time Roll-A-Table - Free Shipping at REI.com ... ll-a-table

Than I found something similar to what I was imagining,
The Roll Top Table | Blue Ridge Chair

and this is what I came up with,

I was really happy with the weight and how it all came together. It unrolls really nicely, screws together with four simple bolts and you have a table! I think future versions of the table will have just slightly larger legs for support reasons. This table was made of ash as it's weather resistant and nice to work with. However I think my next will be made out of Sapele which is a species of mahogany. A little harder on the tools but has some great properties that I think would lend it nicely to these tables.
My tables come fully assembled and ready to unroll. No work required. They are not finished, left natural. However I am up to finishing with food grade oil, maybe tung, etc. I don't think because of their use finishing in a poly or similar is going to be a good choice as it will look poor after a few years. oil on the other hand can just be applied when ever.

I am still up in the air on pricing so some feedback would be appreciated. I was guessing somewhere around $98-119 was my target. Something in theory that should last you many many years and be made of a renewable resource. American made, natural, easy to use, pleasure to look at when camping/rv/boating, etc.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer