Drinking and Boating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And it's your place now to decide it should or shouldn't continue?

Actually I think it's been a great thread discussing a very important subject. It also has allowed us to hear opposing views. Has it made anyone rethink their position or actions? I don't know. The majority has been amazingly civil even in the expression of strong views.

No, it's the moderators place, I only posted my opinion (note the words "I think").

Just like you. :thumb:

No, it's the moderators place, I only posted my opinion (note the words "I think").

Just like you. :thumb:

If I have opinions to post to the moderators I do that in private. There is a cute little "report post" button that allows you to send them a message. Just a suggestion in case you weren't aware.

Oh and one easy way to escape the misery of a thread you're no longer enjoying....stop reading it...lol

Do I drink and drive an automobile , No, as a commercial driver there be way too much to risk financial risk. A couple of beer with lunch has not a lot of effect, its a matter that the non drinkers want me to loose any of my personal rites. It is assumed I am one hundred percent at fault if I have a .05 level of a so called impairment resulting in no insurance. Surrendering any sort of justice for me and by passing in many many cases the true cause of the accident. Great for the stats !
I have well over a million miles under my belt and with my own eyes I can tell you boys that drinking is a small part of the over all picture of the carnage on the streets and in no way close to the picture presented by the media justice system etc.
Its your rites and freedoms under attack and I don't mean that drunks have the rite to kill or injure! But get real. Booze has been part of our culture for century's and probation will not and never has worked. Yet I still have to deal with folk that honestly should not have a licence. But cause I am a pro again its me that gets the test, how is that working I mean my god we have an elected official in Canada's largest city that loves crack so it seems but no test for him. Give me a break for a beer or two at the f'n beach instead of a can or two of pop. I like beer not a real fan of pop.

MADD has taken law enforcement away from serving and protecting to a new level of safety checks and reduce personal rites. Yet just take a drive around any day through a school zone or see how every one seems to think 10 K to 20 over the speed limit is acceptable , yet where is the no tolerance there. And ya I can go on and on. I get fingered for doing the speed limit by little old ladies,

Things have changed we used to drink and drive I grew up with pop and his bud having a beer behind the wheel. They where cops ! They never hurt any one and luck had nothing to do with that.

I have not been behind the wheel with so much as a beer in my gut since 1986.

Couple of beers on the boat is not , for most of us a challenge that endangers others. Fact.

Slippery slope leading to the loss of personal freedoms yet again. Follow the cash. How is it drunk driving stats always include the 5 or 10 time offender with no license , no insurance, and no long term help, fact !

The horse has left the stable , move on and start dealing with some other issues that our society's are dealing with.

There that should get this to OTDE

Yup I will have a beer or two on the boat. So what

Your "hand writing" makes it seem you may have had a couple totties today/eve. LOL - - > That about sum it up?!?

This thread is not at all about drinking or not drinking. It is about operating equipment while drinking or still under influence/effects from drinking. This thread's main premise is to save lives by acting responsibly... That and nothing more...

Nobody gives a sweet crap if someone else likes to drink alcohol while not operating equipment. Drinking when/while operating anything makes a whole different story!

No one should ever drink and drive - anything!! - PERIOD

This is going nowhere at this point, it seems just about everyone has posted their points (several times) and no minds have been changed.

I too doubt if any one of us has experienced an epiphany. One thing that my dad used to say comes to mind:

A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still. Edmond Marois.

Another aphorism that strikes me as apropos is:
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Hey Mods,

I think everything has been covered here. How about putting us out of our misery before guns and anchors get in the mix. This is going nowhere at this point, it seems just about everyone has posted their points (several times) and no minds have been changed.

Since I was the one who started the thread, it would seem that if anyone should ask for it to be closed, that should be me and I am not going to request it at this point.

If you've been on forums for any length of time you should know by now that nobody ever changes his or her mind, at least publicly. What does happen is that people are given something to ponder and may eventually come around to the other point of view. I've seen it happen over time.

It is worth keeping up with this thread just to see Janice's aphorisms.

Can we all drink to that................responsibly?

Someone mentioned epiphany. Others say no one ever changes their mind. I don't think epiphany's are anticipated but if a thread causes one or more people just to think a bit about things, if it generates conversation on an important subject, then it's done a lot and more than threads on most topics. I've heard views on both sides that I don't necessarily agree with, I've expressed my views, but I have learned a lot about the thoughts of TF members on the subjects.

Most bont doat when dey hve toooo much alkeyhol!! Hiccupp, Hiccupp - LOL

Only Problem - - > Few know when too much has been reached. Soooo... only truly safe way to boat is to not have any at all. Now, is that simply toooo simple for some to understand???

I can't believe this has continued. It's like a friend of mine that keeps telling me the same stories every time I see him. He'll say did I tell you about bla bla, I say yes you told me that story. He just tells it again like I never said a word.

I can't believe this has continued. It's like a friend of mine that keeps telling me the same stories every time I see him. He'll say did I tell you about bla bla, I say yes you told me that story. He just tells it again like I never said a word.

Maybe he figures you're a slow learner...lol

Next time, before he starts, you tell him the story just as he has you.

Does he drink a lot? ;)

what can be done

I think it is fair to say that the boating community does have its share of alcohol abuse and that has led to many serious and saddening incidents.

I have good reason to have concerns about drinking and boating however I am neither an abolitionist nor a Laissez-faire guy. I also am not going to be personal about any ones individual stance. It is more important to me that the topic be shifted to "what can be done" about irresponsible drinking and driving.

People started getting serious about alcohol and cars perhaps 30 years ago and things got better but that emphasis has never really reached the boating sector in spite of the probability that boats are inherently more dangerous.

Legislation, regulation and enforcement all have their place but the most powerful catalyst for change is the peer pressure from fellow boaters or passengers.

That is an area we can all do something about and that is something I intend to do my share to improve.

An experiment on this was tried a couple weeks ago in Michigan and the results appear to be positive.

For those that have an interest in "what can be done" please PM me and I will provide contact info.

This thread reminds me of a conversation between Hagar the Horrible and Lucky Eddie (you know the little guy with no chin and a funnel for a hat). Hagar says to Lucky Eddie, "I have finally discovered the meaning of life". The next frame pans out to show that they were both under the table drinking something with suds on top.:D

People started getting serious about alcohol and cars perhaps 30 years ago and things got better but that emphasis has never really reached the boating sector in spite of the probability that boats are inherently more dangerous.

Actually I don't think it got better. It could. It's better in the rest of the world. But there are so many limitations. Example 1 is a huge bar empties at 2 AM, most of the people walking out intoxicated. Get into cars. You can't stop them .

Long before the 30 years ago there was a huge stigma attached to DUI. You were scared of your fellow churchgoers, your family, your friends, your co-workers, your boss finding out. That doesn't exist today. Some people wear DUI's like badges. And the courts give slaps on the wrists.

The way simply is to enforce the existing laws and then increase the severity of the penalties. That includes the legal penalties especially as those who lose licenses continue to drive without. Sports need to clamp down and get stronger. Let's see, John Brent drove drunk, teammate killed. Wasn't his first DUI, he wasn't even licensed at the time, and even while on trial failed alcohol or drug tests three times. Served 180 days for intoxicated manslaughter. 1/2 year for murder? Now the Cowboys are talking about taking him back on the team. Isn't the first Cowboy to kill someone while driving drunk at 3 am.

Problem is simple. What percentage of our legislature do you think drinks and drives? Of course they're congressman, they're never under the influence surely.

The Texas AG was caught driving with 2 1/2 times the legal limit in her blood. William Kennedy Smith, a med student at the time, had unprotected sex on the swimming pool deck of the Kennedy Estate in Palm Beach. What does this have to do with anything you ask. It just proves that education doesn't work. People will do what they are going to do. Regardless.

So all you zero tolerance types think Richard on Dauntless is a lousy, irresponsible boater, failing Marin's standards of credibility for seamanship?

So all you zero tolerance types think Richard on Dauntless is a lousy, irresponsible boater, failing Marin's standards of credibility for seamanship?

Not me. I admire Richard for his ability, determination, and guts. It's me that's a scardey-cat.:hide:

----but I do like a glass of Port.

Moonstruck;259853 ----but I do like a glass of Port.[/QUOTE said:
Then you would probably enjoy my pot roast simmered/cooked in tawny port.

I enjoy cooking with wine. Sometimes I put it in the food.

The mood of the country is now legislated that getting stoned is OK no matter what the consequences. But my goodness lets not drink to one's definition of excess. :facepalm:

Even Johnny Carson admitted he was allergic to alcohol! LOL

The mood of the country is now legislated that getting stoned is OK no matter what the consequences. But my goodness lets not drink to one's definition of excess. :facepalm:

Stoners drive slower! :facepalm: :rofl:

I totally support Richard's effort and him as an individual but yes, I do believe it is wrong to be operating a boat without adequate sleep and it's wrong to be operating a boat while asleep. I know sailors do it often. I know he's moving slowly. But my personal belief is that a boat needs an alert and awake and sober operator.

This isn't intended as a shot at Richard, just an expression of an opinion on a subject I differ from him.

The Texas AG was caught driving with 2 1/2 times the legal limit in her blood. William Kennedy Smith, a med student at the time, had unprotected sex on the swimming pool deck of the Kennedy Estate in Palm Beach. What does this have to do with anything you ask. It just proves that education doesn't work. People will do what they are going to do. Regardless.

I think education works on some people, but not all people. Peer pressure is probably the most effective way of changing behavior. When I was young it was "cool" to smoke cigarettes. Now it's not and far fewer people are doing it.

............ it's wrong to be operating a boat while asleep. I know sailors do it often. I know he's moving slowly. But my personal belief is that a boat needs an alert and awake and sober operator.......

Operating a moving bot while asleep is incredibly stupid, no matter what the reason and it's also illegal.

Actually alcohol has often been used as the support for weed......how many times do we hear, "It's no worse that drinking." The facts are pretty harsh for the regular, habitual user in terms of their cognitive skills. The lung damage too. And it's influence on a driver. In my opinion, smoking and driving is wrong. Period. In my opinion, if you smoke every day, or couldn't go a while without it, you have a problem. And if you start the evening intending to just take a few puffs and that turns into a few joints you have a problem. We're presented with the picture of the person who occasionally shares a joint with a friend. But that's not what we see. We see those who abuse it. And alcohol and marijuana both often lead to use of other drugs since they no longer or never really met the expectations of the user.

I strongly support it's medical use. But recreationally, and yes my wife and I have both tried it, it's potential for abuse is great.

Unfortunately, controlling it on the road is back to ancient days on alcohol, prior to breathalyzer. You have no quick objective way to determine influence. If someone took one puff off a joint they're likely fine but if they just smoked an entire one, or two, then I don't want them operating a car or boat.

Now as to a boat there are serious potential uses. For that reason our guests all are strongly informed no illegal drugs allowed on board. If they happen to have something in their pocket or purse they take it and put it elsewhere before boarding.

As a former performing musician (bars, clubs, dances, etc.) I have a lot of experience dealing with drinkers and drug users. I used to comment about a guitar player I had that he took medicine to allow him to hear sounds that other folks couldn't hear.

The practical difference between alcohol and drugs - Alcohol takes a while to consume and have an effect. Drugs can have an almost immediate effect.

Put another way, someone drinking alcohol will go from sober to impaired to more impaired and to drunk over a period of time. Someone taking drugs can be fine one minute and out of his/her mind the next.

Recreational drug use while operating a boat is no better or different than drinking alcohol.

It's also possible to have your boat impounded if illegal drugs are found on it even if they aren't yours.

Accually, it was a TX District Attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom