It’s Showtime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about marine sanitation systems. Yes, Peggie Hall. You should be able to find under community button then members' list in the top red line. Peggie has been a frequent presenter at Trawlerfest. You may want to send her a private mail.

Who is Peggie? The expert on boat toilets? I wanted to use the nautical term for toilets but there is no way I could write the word and not make it sound crude. :angel::rofl:

Later,
Dan

Yes, Peggie Hall. She has spoken at Trawlerfest on occasion as I recall.

If you use the word as plural it wouldn't sound so risqué. As in, " The expert on marine heads." :)

Has anyone got a message from Richard since 2:30 EST? I have not received an update on his position on Delorme since 1:30 EST.

Has anyone got a message from Richard since 2:30 EST? I have not received an update on his position on Delorme since 1:30 EST.

Same here I was going to ask the same question. Just refreshed his screen. Nothing new. Looks by the arrow direction that he may have turned a little more easterly.

He could be catching some sleep. It's after 10pm out there.

Had asked Richard about if it was getting dark, and perhaps it may be time to take a nap, maybe around 4, his answered received 4:30 est:

Yes. Getting dark.
I'm heading due east now. It's s bit more bouncy, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Richard Bost sent this message from:
Lat 40.723315 Lon -20.263423

Got a position update at 7:33. Looks like starting to head East.

Got the same update as well. It makes me concerned when we get no update for such a long time right after he has had to make significant course changes do to sea conditions and weather. Glad it was just an issue with Delorme updates.

There was a bit of jumpiness in DeLorme's tracking on the first leg up to NS. I figure I'll give the same latitude to the tracking as before, but I purposely don't check so often. I worry about everything. I doubt that he's eating chips and dip and watching a movie.....probably rocking and rolling a bit right now.

If weather and sea state keeps him on his current track, he might as well enjoy the hospitality of Cascais.

Obrigado Capitão do Porto.

Thanks guys, I finally found Peggy Hall's online name, HeadMistress. :lol:

Later,
Dan

Last I heard from Richard was at 1611. I sent him some current surface data regarding the Lows and Highs around him a few minutes ago but I have not gotten any response. Hopefully he is getting some sleep. :thumb:

Later,
Dan

Richard,
I know you had shared it in your crossing but I just wanted to say. The communication with the TF board while solo really is a Godsend. For those who haven't experienced it yet, trust me, every post is helpful. We are social creatures even when far off shore and solo. Keep it up!!!!

From the M/v Dauntless 5:45 am, est.
Just asked Richard normal questions, how are the birds doing, how was his night, are you sure you want to head to Africa?, told him I was just kidding. His replies:

Would have been great if my destination is f...ing Africa!

I have to prepare better mentally. I'm frustrated that winds and seas are not letting
Me go where I want.

The strong NE winds have built sees up to 10'
Thus, I can't go north or east, at all, as I've tried many times in last 36 hours.

I'm keeping rpms low, 1400. No point in racing the wrong way.

Winds are fcst to turn southerly tonight. Then I will race north.

I'll see how far west of Portugal I am to decide if I want to stop.

Remember, Nova Scotia was only 30nm off great circle route.
Portugal is 500 off route.

My original plan more than 3 years ago was to go to Italy, near Venezia.
At this point, if it went do expensive, I'd do that. Stopping in Morocco to fuel.

Lat 40.327732 Lon -19.154342

Continued chatting with Richard, asked about the engine oil, paravanes, if he was considering a new temporary stop:

No. Have not yet changed.
But sometimes I need to know when to change plan.
Usually, I end up with a much better plan

I added 1.25 qts this morning.(that was end of jug)

Birds are doing well.

Lat 40.290598 Lon -19.12239

I would encourage other members to send him texts, see post #1!

He seems to like the company, as it get boring!

Only members in good standing are eligible to send M/V Dauntless texts, those active members in the Bozo Club are not permitted!:facepalm:

Blubyu, I should have read your post before I sent Richard Good Morning greetings this AM. I asked him how he slept and told him that it looked like the seas and wind would be changing any time now, based on his position. (based on sailing weather) You can tell he is frustrated with the progress.
His reply at 5:23 Central:

Any time. It's like watching a pot to boil.
Sleep ok.
I would have slept far better had I been pointed towards Ireland and NOT Africa.

I also told him I was sorry for repeating Blubyu's questions.
His reply.
No problem.
One thing I have is time.

Wow again a day and half without getting on the forum I missed a lot

From Dauntless at 6:53 am est, sorry it is delayed, I am at work and it got in the way.
I had asked Richard earlier about if he runs out of oil, he may have to change plans just to get more oil:

Ha.
That is funny.
I'd probably use olive oil

Lat 40.25338 Lon -19.090548

That shows how many uses olive oil has. I love it in the galley for so many things. He must have a lot on board. :)

hmm, that brings up a question. Would olive oil work as a good lube to put hoses on. I wonder what Richard would say? :)

This leg has shown me weather and sea conditions take precedence over scheduling as all have pointed out. My question is, with the current conditions how long before he makes any port? It looks like maybe half way to land from here.

This leg has shown me weather and sea conditions take precedence over scheduling as all have pointed out. My question is, with the current conditions how long before he makes any port? It looks like maybe half way to land from here.

Appears a bit over halfway if he goes to Portugal. Much less than halfway to Ireland.

As of a few minutes ago he was starting a turn to the East. It will be interesting to see if it is part of a turn to the North.

As of a few minutes ago he was starting a turn to the East. It will be interesting to see if it is part of a turn to the North.

I'm getting the feeling he's very close to Ireland not being a choice though due to his fuel situation.

I think I would head to Portugal and enjoy some Mateus or Port----but then I'm a scardey-cat.

I'm with you on that, Don. Based on what he told us about his fuel supply, he can't be fighting wind and waves all the way to Cork. Weather must be changing in his area right now. 24 hours.....decision time. He needs a southerly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom