Bad, irresponsible boaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You mean this?

img_259537_0_2cc580a2bdcbde434a3f00b75c0e9656.jpg

seems my bona fides have been questioned. Wire nuts, backing two miles are armature stuff.

how does sailing into the Golden Gate from sea in pea soup fog without radar or chart plotter sound. Fortunately the fog horn on the bridge provided a fix.

seems my bona fides have been questioned. Wire nuts, backing two miles are armature stuff.

how does sailing into the Golden Gate from sea in pea soup fog without radar or chart plotter sound. Fortunately the fog horn on the bridge provided a fix.

Yep, when you hit the bridge supports you have a really good location fix. No question where you are.:D

I think you really need to study the real meaning of the bad boys club...just doing something that doesn't fit the norm isn't really the point....it's doing something that the "in crowd" finds offensive, irrational, not to spec or norm, doesn't comply 100% of the time with a voluntary rule, etc..etc...it also means taking an active part in showing the error of their ways when they do post.

Showing them we might be the bad boy club but we are neither stupid or careless...for the most part taking calculated risks safely probably requires a much higher intellect than just following the herd.

Last edited:
I guess starting the thread asking what is a trawler didn't qualify. the truth was exposed, no one converted from orthodoxy and I continued charging windmills. :D

Onward Rosanante!

I found out that my old onan gen set is most likely dead!! ( not sure i can even get it out of the boat ) so rather than pay huge sums of money to repair or replace, I bought a honda from Craigslist and will just plug in my power cord. It will get me by for the Labor Day week cruise, and it's even quiter than the onan!! Please forgive my cheapness and lack of time. But we will have hot showers and lights for the week!

Time to 'fess up, Al. It'll do you good. I can hardly look at that picture, and think of that poor mama sturgeon.

Good timing, Moonman!! I'll be enjoying some of this fine specimen for dinner tonight!!

Actually, there's nothing to confess here. If you look at the tail, you'll see a sturgeon tag firmly attached noting this as one of my 3 fish I'm allowed to keep this year. This is #2, I'm holding off on keeping number 3 so I can continue fishing for sturgeon. You can see that this fish was properly tagged and cleaned in a technique that allowed its length to be determined by authorities, if needed.

There is a rule in CA that says you cannot clean a fish until you return to land, so on January 16, 2014, I contacted the CA Dept. of Fish and Wildlife about the issue. They confirmed to me via email that in the case of a live-aboard boat, the fish could be cleaned onboard if a cleaning technique was used that would allow identification of the species and it's total length to ensure regulatory compliance by the angler. The implication was that the carcass would need to be retained until the next time the boat reaches a dock or marina.

So, nice try, Moonstruck, but this act fails to qualify me for this Nauti Buoy thread.

Last edited:
Good timing, Moonman!! I'll be enjoying some of this fine specimen for dinner tonight!!

Actually, there's nothing to confess here. If you look at the tail, you'll see a sturgeon tag firmly attached noting this as one of my 3 fish I'm allowed to keep this year. This is #2, I'm holding off on keeping number 3 so I can continue fishing for sturgeon. You can see that this fish was properly tagged and cleaned in a technique that allowed its length to be determined by authorities, if needed.

There is a rule in CA that says you cannot clean a fish until you return to land, so on January 16, 2014, I contacted the CA Dept. of Fish and Wildlife about the issue. They confirmed to me via email that in the case of a live-aboard boat, the fish could be cleaned onboard if a cleaning technique was used that would allow identification of the species and it's total length to ensure regulatory compliance by the angler. The implication was that the carcass would need to be retained until the next time the boat reaches a dock or marina.

So, nice try, Moonstruck, but this act fails to qualify me for this Nauti Buoy thread.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. Good story. It took awhile to come up with all that. However, we know what you've been doing, but your secret is safe with us. We won't tell.;);)

I found out that my old onan gen set is most likely dead!! ( not sure i can even get it out of the boat ) so rather than pay huge sums of money to repair or replace, I bought a honda from Craigslist and will just plug in my power cord. It will get me by for the Labor Day week cruise, and it's even quiter than the onan!! Please forgive my cheapness and lack of time. But we will have hot showers and lights for the week!

First of all I knew you were bad boy material just from your forum name...real pilots fly airplanes...you know that because they always tell you that..thats why most will always be in the "other group"....:D

Secondly...nice job with the Honda....that definitely allows consideration or full membership to the bad boys club. The real icing on the cake is when you join in the discussions on portable generators in the future because you haven't died of CO poisoning and that will piss off one or more of the goodie two shoes.....:thumb:

Although I haven't officially joined, I recommend this for the burgee:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 215
Although I haven't officially joined, I recommend this for the burgee:

Actually I think the other team has that incorporated in their burgee...

Hey see us as totally irresponsible, bad boaters. We have no IQs at all despite numerous links to professional recognized in the industry as support on many occasions.

The fact that many of us have done things they haven't makes them right because they can correctly spell ABYC and a few other holier than thou acronyms.

Yep.... we ARE the bozos in their eyes, a menace to their safety, loved ones, etc...etc...the constitution probably...holy cow it's mind boggling.

So maybe you are right...we SHOULD have bozo in our burgee...just take out the crossed circle and add a thumbs up on the bozo...we are and we be proud...:thumb:

oooohhh..I Like it..but can we get a soldering iron in one hand and a beer in the other and the cigarette in the lips with the ashes falling on badly weathered teak decks?

I know I ask for too much...but nothing too good for the troops!!! Afternoon grog ration for all hands!!!!

How 'bout potato gun stories? I might get a vote here: Had a pig roast/bluegrass band at the boat dock. Late night the spudzooka comes out. Spuds launched into the boat basin. Ran out of spuds, got some apples and bananas. Launched those too. Not too confident in the aiming, and that became an issue.

Next morning, knock on the door. Owner of the boatyard next door (a good friend) asks me if I had been shooting spuds. I look in the yard over his shoulder, and there is a table with spudzooka, acetylene bottle, and all sorts of vegetable peels.

I tell him, "I think I am busted.". He says yep. I go, well which boats do I need to clean?

That was a miserable morning. My friends can't aim worth crap!! Fortunately, apple and banana are easy to spot the next day. I had to clean about four boats. Fortunately again, no damage.

I did nail the birdhouse on one of the dock piles. No birds in it then (I hoped), but it still has a crunch in the side. My aim was good on that shot (a challenge!!).

I went to a Jimmy Buffett Concert at the Miami Marine Stadium. This was in 1985, they made a video about it. I can see my boat in some of the footage! I drank a bunch of Rum and Coke, a few beers, smoked some outstanding bud. There were probably 300 other boats anchored in the basin. Lots of people on each of those boats! A bunch of folks had the great idea to use inner tubes to swim right up to the floating stage! I was thinking just how cool that was .......until I figured out how many people had pissed or crapped into that basin!!!!! Astounding hangover in the AM! Last boat to leave.......great time! I don't drink at all now.

Dang, I was there for that also. ...

Poseidon almost had his way with us during the basin exit as 300+ boats made their way out while not want to wait for the old Biscayne draw bridge to raise..

~ Gary ~

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

How 'bout potato gun stories? I might get a vote here: Had a pig roast/bluegrass band at the boat dock. Late night the spudzooka comes out. Spuds launched into the boat basin. Ran out of spuds, got some apples and bananas. Launched those too. Not too confident in the aiming, and that became an issue.

Next morning, knock on the door. Owner of the boatyard next door (a good friend) asks me if I had been shooting spuds. I look in the yard over his shoulder, and there is a table with spudzooka, acetylene bottle, and all sorts of vegetable peels.

I tell him, "I think I am busted.". He says yep. I go, well which boats do I need to clean?

That was a miserable morning. My friends can't aim worth crap!! Fortunately, apple and banana are easy to spot the next day. I had to clean about four boats. Fortunately again, no damage.

I did nail the birdhouse on one of the dock piles. No birds in it then (I hoped), but it still has a crunch in the side. My aim was good on that shot (a challenge!!).

While the spudzooka end of things clearly puts you in the bad boy camp...as long as you didn't drive past a Walmart and go another 30 miles to a West marine for cleaning supplies.... it is certainly membership material.:thumb:

While the spudzooka end of things clearly puts you in the bad boy camp...as long as you didn't drive past a Walmart and go another 30 miles to a West marine for cleaning supplies.... it is certainly membership material.:thumb:

Garden hose, brush and Dawn!!! Don't know anything else exists to clean.

Garden hose, brush and Dawn!!! Don't know anything else exists to clean.

Start a thread on cleaning supplies...you'll be amazed at what people will tell you t use or don't use....

You'll get the "greenie" lecture for sure ...among other self appointed environmental wizard suggestions.

I like the old wives tales....like cut a potato in half and rub vigorously on the area then hose off...probably would work better on your potato shots than the banana and apple bursts.:D

Forgive me father, for I have sinned.
I am in a lovely little anchorage called Smuggler. There is me, the lone power boat amongst a throng of sailboaters, most of them with ZZ Top beards (the women too ) and I am into the rum a bit. I realized that I am the only one playing CCR on the stereo, in fact I'm the only one with a stereo. Tallow lamps and coal fires won't run electronic music, in fact my stereo is drowning out the mandolin from boat 4. I discover that I am not only the only powerboat, I am also the breakwater for 6 other sailboats, taking the brunt of the boat swells that wander in here, rolling captive in my harness, the stern tie - so I leave and doom the cluster of sailboats to a night of rocking. Fortunately I couldn't hear the boat words as the beards muffled the cursing. Long live the power boat!

Hmm cleaning products? I use Castrol Superclean to get the gunk off of my dingy.
Hmm marine toilets? Gasp we actually put good old toilet paper in the toilet...whoda thunk!
Hmm engine oil? So whats wrong with whatever diesel oil is on sail? The Lehman eats it all.
Hmm flybridge? We actually use and like ours. Gives a nice view of the Bruce on the bow.
Hmm hull paint? I think we may actually us Sherwin Williams Enamel!

Forgive me for nothing!

Hey come on guys...the real message of the bad boys club is about doing things differently from "mainstream" (well at least in their minds) TFer's.

There should be more club members chiming in those threads that bring up perfectly good (well not in their minds) info that goes against the grain here.

Like saying heck, I use facial tissue instead of TP because it's softer, dissolves and comes in presized sheets I can tell my guests how many to flush each time (now I've never experimented so I don't do that) but I see that's the valuable stuff here. Ideas that improve boating...not keep us drawing in the same old lines the mags and "in industy" dinasaurs kept us before the internet so ideas spread slowly from dock to dock, marina to marina at a snails pace.

Any twit can go buy marine stuff at West Marine, or use the world's most valuable tools to do things the way they are written about in boat mags. Sure read the manufacturer instructions...but what if it's a household product that's you are using on your boat??? The instructions may be out the window and fellow TFers that have done it or contemplating it can help with ideas, safety items, etc. Not the constant "I wouldn't do that" droning you get from some....or "some surveyor is gonna flag that when you go to sell"...who gives a crap...then I 'll replace it or my kids will as I hope to keel over on my boat at 90 something. Sure mention it...but making it your mantra and having every other post mention it...holy cow and I'm the pot stirrer???

Even newbies catch on pretty fast. If something is being done out of the ordinary...don't assume they are all stupid and incapable of thinking through a few safety tips or ideas....one mention of a danger probably get's their attention more than lecturing an old timer who in reality knows better than to listen to the drivel anyhow.

So come'on all you true bad boy club members...help me raise the BS flag everytime some pompous "my way or the highway" type uses their "canned info" as ammunition against other BBC members to brush us aside and then they make their high and mighty sneering remarks when it's clear there's no right answer and the links to other "respectables" do weaken their case a bit.

Onward!!!!

Last edited:
My name is Auscan and I have a drinking problem.
A few months ago after consuming a beer, I motor sailed without raising an upside down triangle. I don't know what got into me. It must have been the demon drink that made me do it. If there was another boat within 10 miles, I could have put all our lives at risk.

Since that time, I seem to be slipping deeper into the abyss. Just today, I had several cans of Mythos while being second in command on a boat. This caused me to lose my attention while tying off the stern, when I focused on 2 greek goddess's sunning on a patch of beach between the rocks. Again I put lives at risk, but I tried to make up for it by practicing my knot tying skills several times before swimming back to the boat.

What can I do to redeem myself?

The boat came with a second anchor but have never tried it yet.:nonono:

My name is Auscan and I have a drinking problem.
A few months ago after consuming a beer, I motor sailed without raising an upside down triangle. I don't know what got into me. It must have been the demon drink that made me do it. If there was another boat within 10 miles, I could have put all our lives at risk.

Since that time, I seem to be slipping deeper into the abyss. Just today, I had several cans of Mythos while being second in command on a boat. This caused me to lose my attention while tying off the stern, when I focused on 2 greek goddess's sunning on a patch of beach between the rocks. Again I put lives at risk, but I tried to make up for it by practicing my knot tying skills several times before swimming back to the boat.

What can I do to redeem myself?

Welcome to the fold...just don't stray and help fight the good fight here...
Between anchoring bans and all the stuff I would have to stop doing or start doing someone else's way according to some...

I might have to give up boating.....NOT...:thumb:

Ok, Ok - This thread has pulled it out o' me! I've come to confesssssss (some of my ways)!!

Often at night I walk to bow with flashlight for visual anchor check. When ya gotta go... ya gotta go! Splashing - trickle/stream over the gunnel has never woken wifie... yet! Of course, she's sound a sleep in rear master stateroom. Also, I have been known to bathe o' natural with a bar o' soap on swim deck; full rinse off by jumping in all soaped up. And, forgive me oh great one! I have experienced a sudden warming of surrounding water while swimming for long duration... luckily the water returns to normal temp rather quickly. :lol:

I cannot tell you about my past life... been counseled to take the 5th. Probably because that was something I too often did... i.e. take "fifths" to their bottom!

Read the meanings in picture of our boat's name anyway you like. Wife and I know exactly what it all stands for... we designed it / drew it... cause we did all that and more in past decades! Taint our first day on the beach... so to say! :rofl: :dance:

Attachments

• The Office Name_100_1656.jpg
    The Office Name_100_1656.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 66
  • TO_Arrow Thru Heart_100_1657.jpg
    TO_Arrow Thru Heart_100_1657.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 64
I support GG and her five kids! My last post may offend the great ones. Screw this I'm going out to actually use my boat!

Last edited:
Ok, Ok - This thread has pulled it out o' me! I've come to confesssssss (some of my ways)!!

Often at night I walk to bow with flashlight for visual anchor check. When ya gotta go... ya gotta go! Splashing - trickle/stream over the gunnel has never woken wifie... yet! Of course, she's sound a sleep in rear master stateroom. Also, I have been known to bathe o' natural with a bar o' soap on swim deck; full rinse off by jumping in all soaped up. And, forgive me oh great one! I have experienced a sudden warming of surrounding water while swimming for long duration... luckily the water returns to normal temp rather quickly. :lol:

I cannot tell you about my past life... been counseled to take the 5th. Probably because that was something I too often did... i.e. take "fifths" to their bottom!

Read the meanings in picture of our boat's name anyway you like. Wife and I know exactly what it all stands for... we designed it / drew it... cause we did all that and more in past decades! Taint our first day on the beach... so to say! :rofl: :dance:

Sorry your soapbox has excluded you....

I support GG and her five kids! My last post may offend the great ones. Screw this I'm going out to actually use my boat!

Even the thought or mention of GG excludes you..maybe she will prove herself in the future but way too early to tell...her mistakes are genuine and not intentional....

Also the thought that many of the rest of us aren't "boating"....and still posting....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom