Trailer for a RIB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kolive

Guru
Good morning,

Wanting to know if some TF members have trailers they use with their RIB's. I have a 3.4 Meter Avon with a 25 hp 4 stroke Yamaha and am thinking about getting a trailer to bring it home so I can service it and winter store it. Saw a jet ski trailer on Craigslist recently that got me thinking maybe I could pick up a used trailer that would work. Recommendations are welcome.

I have a Whaler Montauk ,17', I usually keep on a hoist, My 9' Livingston fits the Whaler's trailer to a "T" so I use it even though it is overkill for the Livingston.

We use a trailer for off-season movement and storage. Load-Rite brand, I think. Sized for jet ski's, had to modify the bunks and hardware a bit to mate with our RIB's hull form. Bought new from the local trailer guys, and they went the extra mile and made the mods for me, no charge.

MUCH easier than dismounting the outboard, deflating, schlepping, stuffing the boat in the back of the Suburban or on the pick-up, humoing the outboard separately, reverse all that on the way back...

-Chris

Most any trailer for that size boat will work. You don't really need a special trailer for a rib. Just make sure the bunks are set up correctly.

I use a jet ski trailer.

Attachments

• caribe dinghy 001.jpg
    caribe dinghy 001.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Jet ski trailer here too . . . .

Attachments

• IMG_1562a.jpg
    IMG_1562a.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 131
all of you with jet ski trailers will burn in heck...if you keep it up you are all more than eligible for the bad boys club....

using other than the perfect trailer approved by the ABYC will send you directly to he**......

even though a generic garden trailer or jetski trailer transports the vast majority of dingies has nothing to do with reality....

Galvanized EZ Loader bunk trailer, around $600

Attachments

• IMAG0288.jpg
    IMAG0288.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 145
Good morning,

Wanting to know if some TF members have trailers they use with their RIB's. I have a 3.4 Meter Avon with a 25 hp 4 stroke Yamaha and am thinking about getting a trailer to bring it home so I can service it and winter store it. Saw a jet ski trailer on Craigslist recently that got me thinking maybe I could pick up a used trailer that would work. Recommendations are welcome.

Hello kolive. 'Aurora rents' in the Seattle area, rents small trailers for RIB's for $30 per day. If you are just looking to get your RIB into storage, then this may be an inexpensive, efficient option. Good luck.

http://aurorarents.com/equipment.asp?action=category&category=85&key=TRAILB14-1

Last edited:
I use a Jet Ski trailer but my neighbor at the dock uses an utility trailer, I wish I had taken a picture, he had 2X6 runners mounted to the floor and backed it into the water at the ramp to launch it.

Thanks everyone. Ended up buying the jet ski trailer. It was still new looking with the "nubbins" still on the tires. Adjustable bunks and tongue length too. Should be an easy fit. Then I can tow it home for the winterizing and storage since we live 2 1/2 hours away. It will fit nicely into our barn for covered storage. $400.00

all of you with jet ski trailers will burn in heck...if you keep it up you are all more than eligible for the bad boys club....

using other than the perfect trailer approved by the ABYC will send you directly to he**......

even though a generic garden trailer or jetski trailer transports the vast majority of dingies has nothing to do with reality....

When I went to the local boat trailer dealer, and gave the guy my dinghy measurements... he trotted out the manual and specs for their smallest trailer. Said they sell a lot of those for jet skis, sometimes with two sets of bunks, etc. Hence the "Jet Ski Trailer" name. But I don't remember that being what LoadRite (the manufacturer) called it...

But I don't see an ABYC-approved label on it :)

As it happens, the range of "user adjustment" wasn't sufficient to properly mate with our hull form... so I had to take it back... with the dinghy on board... and they made a bunch of mods, swapped some stuff around, etc... so that in the end the RIB fits perfectly. Maybe that's when I should have asked for the ABYC sticker! :)

-Chris

Last edited:
By the way for F-250 Power Stroke has no trouble towing our dinghy.

I thought I was the only one that bought something just like everyone else but with "MORE than some assembly required" to make it work....:D

You should ask for the ABYC (anyone bet your check) sticker....

I thought I was the only one that bought something just like everyone else but with "MORE than some assembly required" to make it work....:D

You should ask for the ABYC (anyone bet your check) sticker....

I couldn't find that organization so I did the next best thing, I reached out to the AIYC (American Inflatable Yacht Council) to see if I could be excused for carrying my Avon on a jet ski trailer with 2' of exposed bunks because it is just too short. The rep told me they would discuss granting me a 'variance' at their bi-annual meeting in 2016 and get back to me, but in the meantime, just to be in compliance, I should get a bigger boat. Those 'Council' folks are so helpful..

Or should I just ignore them and continue this dangerous practice? :socool:

Greetings,
All this talk about transporting one's RIB got me thinking. If WE ever have occasion to haul the dink home, a trailer would be a very good idea both for transport AND storage. I don't think ABYC has a trailer section and I don't have the patience to wade through their so-called "regulations".
I did a Google search on AIYC and the only thing I could find was a site for the Albanian International Youth Committee. Hmmm....Would they have any information about inflatables? I didn't think so, so, I went old school. I simply Googled "inflatables".
After reading through many unrelated sites I stumbled upon the site for BUGF which I assumed stood for Blow Up Go Fast. Which is exactly how we refer to our tender. I fired them off an e-mail inquiring about what size and type of trailer they would recommend for transporting my dink. Much to my surprise I received an almost immediate reply from a very friendly (seemingly) fellow named Butch who sounded quite impressed that my dink even NEEDED a trailer. He said most guys simply lug their equipment around by hand. Nope, not for me.
I asked about bunks and the response was most users preferred a double bed and in spite of the fact I think that is overkill I found this: Double PWC Trailer but for $1.8K, it's a LOT more expensive than the $400 mentioned by Mr. k so new is out.
I e-mailed Butch and asked him if they sold any used products but he said there wasn't much market for such items (One would think there would be a HUGE market for used blow up GF transporters-go figure.) in spite of the fact their products were very robust and he included a photo demonstrating the fact. He must have pushed the wrong button because there isn't a RIB in sight. Hope this helps...
blow_up_doll.jpg

Last edited:
I have one for mine. Honestly, don't use it. i know this isn't a for sale thread but If someone in bay (Chesapeake) area wants it for they can have it for $150. Its under my porch and the wife just said it 'looks trashy' sitting there.

Her words...

but she is right that technically we have a HOA and we aren't allowed trailers or vehicles in unpaved areas. they don't really enforce it but if they would with my luck id be first.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom