Hershine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where are you located in the northwest. We are in everett wa. Would like to see what you have done on your boat some time.

Info

I am new to almost owning my own trawler. Looking at a 79 hershine 37 puget sound trawler. Two engines. My main use would be puget sound and the inside passage. Are there known issues I should look for? Would this be a good boat for two adults and one teenager and the family dog for two to three week getaways? Next summer is Alaska and 2016 will be the Columbia from Astoria all the way up the snake as far as we can. Thoughts would be appreciated!!!

Hershine Trawler

I am new to almost owning my own trawler. Looking at a 79 hershine 37 puget sound trawler. Two engines. My main use would be puget sound and the inside passage. Are there known issues I should look for? Would this be a good boat for two adults and one teenager and the family dog for two to three week getaways? Next summer is Alaska and 2016 will be the Columbia from Astoria all the way up the snake as far as we can. Thoughts would be appreciated!!!

I am probably not a good source of information for your questions as we have only owned/operated our Hershine since the first part of July. That being said I can say we really enjoy using ours in Puget sound and find it plenty spacious for the wife and I and our two family dogs. Ours, a single, is very economical has adequate fuel and water storage for a very long trip. The one thing I wish was different about our hershine is the electric range which requires the use of the gen when not hooked to shore power. There is a fairly long list of things that I personally would like to do to make our boat more owner friendly but it will all come in time. My goal is to have her outfitted to make the inside passage trip as well in 5 to 6 years after I am retired. We Love the boat and I am reasonably certain you will like yours as well. d Good luck and safe passages to you and yours.

I very nearly bought a 37' Hershine in Everett a couple of months ago, at a very reasonable price, with the intent of having my wife meet me in Seattle on my way back from a job I was doing in Texas, then cruising up the inside passage to home in Juneau... I had a close friend from Mukilteo meet the broker to take a test run, and his wife cautioned me that the stateroom was equipped with a standard-size bed, not a queen... That alone killed the deal, since I'm 6'4" X 260 pounds, & my wife is not a petite lady either at 5'9" X larger-than-she-was-as-a-Delta-Flight-Attendant 20 years ago... She was disappointed that I was considering another Trawler, since our 39' CHB Heritage only cruised around 8 knots... Her fibromyalgia & deteriorating arthritis in her back health issues drove us off the live-aboard boat to an apartment 18 months ago, and she's not willing to take ten days each way of slow cruising to Seattlw & back. She wanted something a whole lot faster to just locally cruise & fish with possibly weekend getaways with another couple or two, so our downsize led us to a Sea Ray 330 Express Cruiser with twin 454-CID 370-HP Chevy-Mercruisers that can boast a WOT of over 35 knots, & economically cruise on-step at 22 knots... Yeah, it's a whole different boat, and burns more fuel, but I have to admit, it sure is fun!

Last edited:
On my 1987 37' Her Shine the walk around bed is not the standed Queen 60" by 80" bed it's 58" by 83".... This year we have cruised over 2,500 statute miles (set one GPS for ICW miles) average 7.3 miles an hours when moving.

I had a 1999 Sea Ray 340 with the 7.4 motors and Bravo 3 I/O's and it was fast and fun :) sure could burn some fuel. But, Places that were a 45 minute ride are now a three hour cruise. Very different experience. As I recall on the 340 the walk around bed was a "big" twin bed on a 330 a sideways sorta V berth?

If you lived in the south puget sound and wanted to do weekend trips to San Juan's or along Vancouver island up passage, would you go trawler or twin gas like a Bayliner, uniflite or carver?

Is there a huge operational cost difference between twin gas and twin diesel? Especially fuel?

At trawler speeds it would almost take a weekend to get to the San Juans from the south sound, then you would have to turn around and come back. Nobody should by a Trawler if they like quick get a ways. We like to relax while cruising and besides, hitting some of local floating speed bumps at 15knts can ruin your day. Just last week a new guy moved into our marina from Olympia. From there to Seattle he said he burned $200.00 in gas. I don't know how accurate that is as I have no experience with gas inboards. That same $200.00 would have lasted all summer for me. Ours is a single ford 120, maybe 2gals. per hr. @ 7-8 knots

My former vessel had a single 120 Ford Lehman that only burned 1,6-GPH @ 1400-RPM, water speed of 5.5-knots, but burned over 10-GPH at WOT of 2400-RPM, mustering a whopping 8.4-knots at full hull speed... Do the math... Over 3 knots per gallon if one is content to cruise at a brisk walk' space, but less than 1 at a jogging pace... And that means one has to plan trips very accurately in conjunction with wind and tidal flows... Here in SE Alaska, we have peak tidal flows that can exceed 5 knots in channels between islands! If you travel WITH the tide, you can nearly double your speed and fuel economy, but running against it, well, GOOD LUCK GETTING HOME!!!
My Sea Ray cruising up on minimal step-speed of around 21 knots gulps about 14 GPH (7 per engine @ 2500-RPM), or about 1.5 knots per gallon, about the same as the CHB did @ 6 knots... But takes less than a third the travel time! And if I'm content to slow cruise at the same speed as the typical Trawler under-8-knots range, with both props spinning at barely above idle of 1000-RPM, she floats along at over 7 knots, burning less than 3-GPH, granting actually more speed for less fuel! With over 700 HP "at my command," I can easily outrun all but the most sudden of storms, AND,I don't have to leave 3 hours earlier to GET to my favorite fishing spots, nor LEAVE them just as the "bite" is on to ensure getting home, since tidal flows have much less impact on a planing hull, skipping above it all!

Link to blog

I purchased a Hershine 37 in March. it is a fixer upper. While it is a sweat equity boat, I enjoy the chance to design and install the major systems. This will give me a good feeling about her abilities. Any boat 34 years old will have a lot of big projects to get her ready for coastal cruising. I started a blog so if you are interested in following my new adventure, here is the link:

Saving Tortuga

Comments and suggestions welcome!

To say this is a large undertaking is an understatement. I for one will be following closely to the progress. This is a great opportunity for some of us to see just how our boats were put together. It may be scary but I'm going to look anyway. Good luck and thanks!

We have one. I was told today by the previous owner that there would be a Hershine Trawler Club? It would be easy to google for it but I didn’t find anything along those lines. Has anyone any pointers for me? I think it would be need for us to look into it and maybe become members.

We have one. I was told today by the previous owner that there would be a Hershine Trawler Club? It would be easy to google for it but I didn’t find anything along those lines. Has anyone any pointers for me? I think it would be need for us to look into it and maybe become members.

Welcome to the family, I’ve not heard of a club.... this forum is a good place to find information

A client had a Hershine 37 with a Ford diesel, like the ones Lehman produced, but marinized in Japan.

I thought it was called a Watomoto or something similar.

Tough to find replacement marinizing parts. Fabrication required for raw water coolers, expansion tanks, etc.

Back
Top Bottom