Old 08-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #12
Dougcole
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance View Post
I spent months looking at all the synthetic wood flooring products when our boat was being built. Probably like you, I wanted something that looked like wood, but was maintenance-free.

I looked at all the 'synthetic teak' products, and ultimately went with a product made by a Portuguese company called Wicanders. They make flooring out of engineered cork. The stuff is amazing! It's waterproof, solvent-proof, fire-proof, sound-insulating, has a 15 year warranty against any defects, and needs no maintenance. I comes in 4"-6" wide planks like wood. We tested a piece by putting it overnight in a container of acetone solvent, and the next day it was completely unchanged. You can bounce a hammer off of it without damage.

The company has a range of different wood finishes, including teak and holly. I went with one called "Auburn", which looks like burled black walnut. I'll try to post a photo here, but pictures don't do it justice. Anyone that's ever been on our boat has remarked on the 'gorgeous walnut flooring', and can't believe it's not wood.

Good luck!
Thanks Rick. That sounds really good, do you have contact info for the company you used? I found some info on the web, but I didn't see anything that looked like teak and holly.

Doug
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote