Drinking and Boating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only think of two things (for right now) that I can operate better after a couple of drinks. One, is my wife and the other one is a karaoke mic.

Well, Martin, it is not perfect world as you envision it and much of the world really do not GAS what you want and last time I checked you are not yet King of the world.

A. It's not Martin, it's Marin.
B You are correct, it's not a perfect world.
C. It might be a good idea to learn the definitions of the words "opinion" and "fact" and then thiink about how the two definitions differ.
D. What the rest of the world thinks of my opinions is not anything I GAS about.
E. Yes, I am King of the World. You obviously did not get the memo.

Last edited:
:D:Dtouché ...e mail or text..son u be behind:D

I don't get this debate. It's very odd to me. I wouldn't want a roofer re-shingling my house two stories up cracking a beer or carrying a flask up there. I don't care if he can hold his liquor like a champ or not. I wouldn't want my kid's school bus driver cracking a Corona on the way to school. I wouldn't want my dentist taking a shot or two before he starts to drill my teeth - and, I would expect, almost nobody else would want any of that either. So why is it okay to drink at the helm of a multi-ton vessel, usually with passengers and other boaters in the area?

99.999% of the population would have a stroke if a school bus driver was caught drinking behind the wheel with a load of kids - but put those same kids on a boat, and suddenly it's okay to drive with a nice Irish whiskey in your hand? That is insanity.

(And we're not talking about responsible drinking moored to the slip, or denying somebody's right to, and enjoyment of, a nice drink on the water after a good day out. Those are some of the nicest, most relaxing times in life, I know. I get that. But if I don't want the painter on the ladder against my house drinking while working up there, why in the world is it okay drink at the helm?)

230+ posts ago this was the original request. While I haven't read every single post, for the most part the thread seems to have been comprised of people explaining why they think people shouldn't drink and operate a boat, and other people explaining why they think it's okay to drink and operate a boat.

But I'm not sure anyone ever actually succinctly addressed the original request, including me. So....

1. I think anyone who consumes alcohol in any amount before or while operating a vessel is a fool.

2. Anyone who consumes alcohol in any amount before or while operating a vessel automatcally loses all credibility as far as I'm concerned, with anything to do with boats or boating.

3. I don't want anyone who consumes alcohol in any amount before or while operating a vessel on my boat, on my dock, in my marina, on my bay, on the waters I boat it, or in this part of the world.

Those, Ron, are my opinions on the subject of operating a boat while drinking.

I could not have stated this any better or any more clearly, and I agree 100%.

Karaoke mic, now that is a dangerous piece of equipment. More so when your friends have smartphones. :)

I did an absolutely stunning version of "Like a Virgin" which got me perma-banned from a bar in Waikiki. Apparently alcohol was involved.

I don't get this debate. It's very odd to me. I wouldn't want a roofer re-shingling my house two stories up cracking a beer or carrying a flask up there. I don't care if he can hold his liquor like a champ or not. I wouldn't want my kid's school bus driver cracking a Corona on the way to school. I wouldn't want my dentist taking a shot or two before he starts to drill my teeth - and, I would expect, almost nobody else would want any of that either. So why is it okay to drink at the helm of a multi-ton vessel, usually with passengers and other boaters in the area?
Well said. People continue to drive cars after drinking when they should not. The resulting crashes, injuries and deaths prove it. It is equally unacceptable on the water. Put yourself in peril if you must, but not others.

That's the old "I can handle my alcohol" and basically there is nothing to support that statement. One just feels like they're handling it better.

Reminds me of a '70's discussion.

Q: Is sex better when you're high, or do you just think it's better?
A: Who cares?

99.999% of the population would have a stroke if a school bus driver was caught drinking behind the wheel with a load of kids - but put those same kids on a boat, and suddenly it's okay to drive with a nice Irish whiskey in your hand? That is insanity.

(And we're not talking about responsible drinking moored to the slip, or denying somebody's right to, and enjoyment of, a nice drink on the water after a good day out. Those are some of the nicest, most relaxing times in life, I know. I get that. But if I don't want the painter on the ladder against my house drinking while working up there, why in the world is it okay drink at the helm?)

Excellent statement! Thank you, Art

I was trying to establish how the memo was delivered, cause I missed it. I guess I could google "King of the world"..

Or, you could read his 10K+ posts... you'd get the concept! ;)

I was trying to establish how the memo was delivered, cause I missed it. I guess I could google "King of the world"..

"King of the world" on TF was established long before you joined. That should be a valid excuse to give you break.;)

Wifey B: Similarly, not being a farm girl, I was wondering what the difference between a mule and a donkey was, especially in light that you seem to be acting somewhat like a donkey. So, I looked it up. Here's the enlightenment. A mule is a cross between a female horse and a male donkey. Whereas horses have 64 chromosomes, donkeys have 62, mules and hinny's have 63.

So, guess to simplify, a Mule is only half jacka...

Now I know.

I did an absolutely stunning version of "Like a Virgin" which got me perma-banned from a bar in Waikiki. Apparently alcohol was involved.

I picture this in my head as a performance that included dancing or at least some body movement. And it is Gilligan in the picture.:rofl:

Wifey B: I freaking love that song. Funny how it was considered so bad when Madonna first did it, of course the first sex filled MTV rocket to the top video.

Oh and I get a very different response than you, Spy, when I sing it. Of course, have my hubby on stage and sing it to him. Wondering now if you were singing it to someone's hubby. Oh well....that is how he made me feel the first time though.

Now what was the topic again....oh drinking and boating. I do both but I never mix them. Our boat rules and car rules are simple. You don't do it and drive.

Gentlemen,( and Ladies) if this high minded moral exactness on the irresponsibility of the use of alcohol and it's resultant danger to others extended to gun rights use & abuse, I would be a little more impressed.

Or is that excused under the second amendment?

Yes, I know guns have nothing to do with alcohol and this is a blatant hijack(sorry mods) but I do find it difficult to read the pontification some have posted here while reading their glory threads over the years of their latest pieces of lethal weaponry.

To borrow a phrase, alcohol doesn't kill, people do.

(well this should win me some friends)

Gentlemen,( and Ladies) if this high minded moral exactness on the irresponsibility of the use of alcohol and it's resultant danger to others extended to gun rights use & abuse, I would be a little more impressed.

Yes, I know guns have nothing to do with alcohol and this is a blatant hijack(sorry mods) but I do find it difficult to read the pontification some have posted here while reading their glory threads over the years of their latest pieces of lethal weaponry.

Andy - prepare to be impressed! Just like driving the boat or the car, I don't mix guns with alcohol. If I'm partying I'm not driving and firearms are in the vault.

My days of driving blind drunk (or after drinking at all) are far behind me now. Only by the grace of God am I alive and never killed anyone else with that nonsense.

But, not for a moment am I saying that I don't do my share of partying. And, maybe some of the share of others too. :D

Do I drink and drive an automobile , No, as a commercial driver there be way too much to risk financial risk. A couple of beer with lunch has not a lot of effect, its a matter that the non drinkers want me to loose any of my personal rites. It is assumed I am one hundred percent at fault if I have a .05 level of a so called impairment resulting in no insurance. Surrendering any sort of justice for me and by passing in many many cases the true cause of the accident. Great for the stats !
I have well over a million miles under my belt and with my own eyes I can tell you boys that drinking is a small part of the over all picture of the carnage on the streets and in no way close to the picture presented by the media justice system etc.
Its your rites and freedoms under attack and I don't mean that drunks have the rite to kill or injure! But get real. Booze has been part of our culture for century's and probation will not and never has worked. Yet I still have to deal with folk that honestly should not have a licence. But cause I am a pro again its me that gets the test, how is that working I mean my god we have an elected official in Canada's largest city that loves crack so it seems but no test for him. Give me a break for a beer or two at the f'n beach instead of a can or two of pop. I like beer not a real fan of pop.

MADD has taken law enforcement away from serving and protecting to a new level of safety checks and reduce personal rites. Yet just take a drive around any day through a school zone or see how every one seems to think 10 K to 20 over the speed limit is acceptable , yet where is the no tolerance there. And ya I can go on and on. I get fingered for doing the speed limit by little old ladies,

Things have changed we used to drink and drive I grew up with pop and his bud having a beer behind the wheel. They where cops ! They never hurt any one and luck had nothing to do with that.

I have not been behind the wheel with so much as a beer in my gut since 1986.

Couple of beers on the boat is not , for most of us a challenge that endangers others. Fact.

Slippery slope leading to the loss of personal freedoms yet again. Follow the cash. How is it drunk driving stats always include the 5 or 10 time offender with no license , no insurance, and no long term help, fact !

The horse has left the stable , move on and start dealing with some other issues that our society's are dealing with.

There that should get this to OTDE

Yup I will have a beer or two on the boat. So what

Hey Mods,

I think everything has been covered here. How about putting us out of our misery before guns and anchors get in the mix. This is going nowhere at this point, it seems just about everyone has posted their points (several times) and no minds have been changed.

images

Soooo

"King of the world" on TF was established long before you joined. That should be a valid excuse to give you break.;)
I should use the TF search option.......got it.....:thumb:

............. Yup I will have a beer or two on the boat. So what

So what?? You are impaired and endangering me and my loved ones. You should be able to figure that out.

And it's a shame if you can't wait until you're back at the dock to drink a beer.

I think humans are complex creatures and within that framework may have what appear to be quite conflicting views on different subjects. I would say my views on guns are consistent with mine on alcohol but I don't want to get into that subject on this thread.

But most of us don't fit into some label or small box with our views. That doesn't make it wrong. I would say my wife and I would astonish people who have known us in our professional life sometimes if they knew the rest of the story. And we're proud to defy any labels. We look at each subject and formulate our beliefs individually based on that topic.

It can be ironic to observe sometimes though. Let's see, the parents who get drunk and party all of every weekend but then flip out when they find their son smoked weed and say "We didn't teach you to do stuff like that." How abuse of alcohol is more accepted than abuse of other drugs. Now is abuse of marijuana going to follow and be more acceptable than say Ecstasy? And look at the dead kids who tried the legal synthetics.

Am I a bleeding heart liberal or a Libertarian? A social liberal and a fiscal conservative? A conservative adventurer? Sometimes I think my wife and I are oxymorons. Other times perhaps just morons, but we do enjoy life.

How has life become so complicated. Should be simple. Learn the difference between right and wrong and do right. Love thy neighbor. Do no harm to others. But it's not simple and neither are humans. Complex confusing are we.

Hey Mods,

I think everything has been covered here. How about putting us out of our misery before guns and anchors get in the mix. This is going nowhere at this point, it seems just about everyone has posted their points (several times) and no minds have been changed.
]

And it's your place now to decide it should or shouldn't continue?

Actually I think it's been a great thread discussing a very important subject. It also has allowed us to hear opposing views. Has it made anyone rethink their position or actions? I don't know. The majority has been amazingly civil even in the expression of strong views.

They are sometimes called slippers in the Bahamas.

Yep, slippers. Mmmmm. Sweeter than spiny lobster - but the shells are sure hard to cut (if you're butterflying them.) I always buy them over at the Fish House at the very east end of Marsh Harbour. Generally about $120 for a 10 lb. box (20 slipper tails.)

Yep, slippers. Mmmmm. Sweeter than spiny lobster - but the shells are sure hard to cut (if you're butterflying them.) I always buy them over at the Fish House at the very east end of Marsh Harbour. Generally about $120 for a 10 lb. box (20 slipper tails.)

Just around the corner from Marsh Harbor Marina. Just a dinghy ride away. It's also a pretty reasonable place to buy groceries in quantity. They usually have slippers in the freezer.

For those who are defending alcohol consumption while on the boat...here's a little test for you:

Don't even have a sip of booze for two months.

Did that send a shiver of doubt laden apprehension through you? Did it make you scoff at the idea and find yourself calling me a flaming idiot for even suggesting such a thing? If it did, maybe you aren't as "in control" as you thought you were.

Two months.

How hard could it be?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom