Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check out the 1966/2004 Webbers Cove 42 on Yachtworld .I think it is a new listing . I'm not sure how to post from another sight:confused: .Maybe someone else
could ?

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1408373464.429343.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1408373504.197041.jpg

We saw this Willard Vega 30 motor sailer up in Ladysmith, BC a week ago. Chatted with the owner for a bit. Won't sail with just the sails because the screw has so much drag but does fine with the main at idle. He says it burns about a liter per hour under sail.

Last edited:
A couple of visiting Trumpys at our local boatyard today.

Attachments

• LadyC1.jpg
    LadyC1.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 157
  • LadyC2.jpg
    LadyC2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 161
  • LadyC3.jpg
    LadyC3.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Enticer1.jpg
    Enticer1.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Enticer2.jpg
    Enticer2.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 141
  • Enticer3.jpg
    Enticer3.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 144
Greetings, Now comes this interesting craft. Always looking for a boat that will adapt to our Southern Southeast Alaska waters. Here is one that would qualify in my opion . Salty, steel and the price has to be one that is worth a question with the hoped for outcome of a described estate sale complete in truth!!

1964 George Sutton and Jay Stoddard Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Al.

Objectively speaking, that boat will eat you alive. You would have to have rocks in your head.

Emotionally speaking, THAT boat right now, as is, makes me want to run away from home. Don't know if its all the steel doors (BTW when somebody calls it a steal boat in the listing, I suddenly want them infested with fleas). It might well be the crows nest. Any boat with a crows nest is a good boat. There are so many places to hang a hammock on that boat I lost count.

Okay, so liquidate everything, squash that, abandon everything, house, mortgage, everything. Buy it for a song and cruise out of the harbor on one working cylinder. Somehow, it makes me long for the adventure. It's not right, but I can't argue it either.

Not kidding.

Objectively speaking, that boat will eat you alive. You would have to have rocks in your head.

Emotionally speaking, THAT boat right now, as is, makes me want to run away from home. Don't know if its all the steel doors (BTW when somebody calls it a steal boat in the listing, I suddenly want them infested with fleas). It might well be the crows nest. Any boat with a crows nest is a good boat. There are so many places to hang a hammock on that boat I lost count.

Okay, so liquidate everything, squash that, abandon everything, house, mortgage, everything. Buy it for a song and cruise out of the harbor on one working cylinder. Somehow, it makes me long for the adventure. It's not right, but I can't argue it either.

Not kidding.

That is an awsome post :thumb:

Hawkin's my man doze are beautiful boats. I remember seeing pics in Motor Boating in the 50s. As I recall dey called dem houseboats. That jive wid your history?

Ever seen a Wheeler in your area?

Last edited:
Lucky you. The Wheeler seemed to be the perfect boat .. visually. They seemed related to the Grebe. Every detail was the most perfect imaginable creation ever. Drool w no end.

A couple of visiting Trumpys at our local boatyard today.

Lady Catherine looks like the Trumpy that is at Boca Grande Marina in winter. She ties on the face dock.

Lucky you. The Wheeler seemed to be the perfect boat .. visually. They seemed related to the Grebe. Every detail was the most perfect imaginable creation ever. Drool w no end.

Didn't I read over at YF that Wes Wheeler was contracting Bennett Bros. to start building boats again. Here's one proposa.... oozing quality and style.

Attachments

• Wheeler1.JPG
    Wheeler1.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 150

Not kidding.

Harumph, harumph! That's the exact same though I have every time I see a boat like that. The educated part of my brain can form a list a mile long to not do that. The romantic side keeps say,"but think how much fun it would be if you could just cast off and call the collection of those deficiencies "character"!

Check out the 1966/2004 Webbers Cove 42 on Yachtworld .I think it is a new listing . I'm not sure how to post from another sight:confused: .Maybe someone else

could ?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1966/Webbers-Cove--2752377/Poulsbo/WA/United-States#.U_K2Ktq9KSM

4785596_20140812115615109_1_XLARGE.jpg

Passagemaker look? You betcha!

Is it just me or does the main engine live in the galley island? Hmmm.

Passagemaker layout? Maybe not. Engine access would be superb, but who wants to work in that galley underway?!

Last edited:
Unusual interesting boat

I saw an unusual interesting boat at the transient dock about a week ago. I stopped to check it out, it was a home built cruiser on a factory john boat. The guy was traveling the entire length of the Tennessee River.

Attachments

• 20140808_143105.jpg
    20140808_143105.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 20140808_143129.jpg
    20140808_143129.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 20140808_143019.jpg
    20140808_143019.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 114
There's a lot to like about that home built river cruiser. I was checking out the larger John boats at Bass Pro last week imagining a small well appointed cabin on one. A true shallow water gunkholing machine.

I saw an unusual interesting boat at the transient dock about a week ago. I stopped to check it out, it was a home built cruiser on a factory john boat. The guy was traveling the entire length of the Tennessee River.

Building the boat and living the dream. Way to go! I'd love to do the Missouri River starting in Montana in something similar.

I was inspired by his sense of adventure; he said that he was getting older and that this would probably be his last trip. He had to be tough; because of the August heat in Tennessee with no AC can be unbearable. He said that he would sale the boat after this trip.

David-thanks for the shots of the Trumpys. One of the most beautiful boats ever built. Back in the late 70's-early 80's two partners and I bought and refitted four Trunpys over about 6 years, a 57, a 65, and 2 83's. When I was about 6 to 8, mid-50's, we lived on the grounds of the USNA in Annapolis as my Dad taught there. He took me to the Trumpy yard several time on the Severn and I always had a thing for them. About 25-18 years ago, John Trumpy's grandson used to be the Harbor master in Daytona at the City Marina

Eric-also thanks for the Grebe mention, the second big boat I had was a 65' cockpit MY built by Henry C Grebe & Co in Chicago. Hull # 169. Originally it was named the Bonte, but we bought it from a member of the 1972 Miami Dolphins, he had named it the Nauti-Dolphin. It had a solid mahogany bar on the back deck and he had a dolphin carved in it and covered in gold leaf. A truly beautiful boat. The last I heard, it was still afloat and living in Canada and still named Nauti-Dolphin.

Since you like Wheelers, my partner back then had a fully restored 1947 47' Wheeler. They were classic designs. Great boats.

Great looking boat. These are red neck boats that a friend sent me the pictures.

Attachments

• pic21106.jpg
    pic21106.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 125
  • pic26765.jpg
    pic26765.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 128
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 770
Greetings,
Re: Lien Wha 45'. For $300K it had better look interesting. The Yachtworld ad mentions a fuel capacity of 147 gallons. She'd better sail pretty darn good if you ever wanted to go any distance or am I missing the point here?

I love it. I could put the white stuff on the red stuff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom