It’s Showtime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Part two Starts Tomorrow

Strong cold front passing through right now, producing winds 240° 20g35

My tomorrow, there should be weak westerlies and I'm leaving.
horta has been great, I'll write about it and post pictures after i arrive in Ireland.
Should be 7.5 days.

I have a schedule that should work well for me, I'll let you know how it works out.:hide:

I'll post route in next post. I had anticipated having to go more north the first three days, but with this frontal passage, it looks like a direct route will work as well as anything.

ForumRunner_20140817_143950.jpg

Check out earth.nullschool.net

Have a good trip to the Auld Sod.
Don't worry about the Blarney Stone, it's not the experience it used to be.
I think it will pale alongside your trip.
Ted

ForumRunner_20140817_144811.jpg

Change of plans already.

Looking more carefully at the wind prog, it looks like I should go more east the first three days to be on the east side of the little wave that develops there.

I was wondering what you thought of that low to NNW. Looks like it is weakening but there is another one low moving down from Canada. Is the plan to let the first low get N or NNE of you and then go?

Do you think you can make Cork before the second low catches up?

Later,
Dan

No. See below.
I go so slow, I can't make it anywhere brute the next storm!

View attachment 32116

Change of plans already.

Looking more carefully at the wind prog, it looks like I should go more east the first three days to be on the east side of the little wave that develops there.

That route would seem to have one more positive on it's side. That is if you saw an unfortunate change in conditions developing, you have a quicker bailout to land in Portugal or Spain. I know that's not your primary thought but always a plus to have.

I just did a long or to blog.
I don't have computer here so can not repost as I have in the past.

Richard

Have a great trip! Keep safe.

Richard, great blog entries! Thanks for all the info!

I just did a long or to blog.
I don't have computer here so can not repost as I have in the past.

Richard

Great read. I read a lot of stories from the 2004 Rally. Your trip was a lot less anxiety causing. Obviously more boats more problems but that may also be ten years of progress and preparation. I sometimes wondered if some of the boats then didn't take for granted there would be other boats, engineers and medical people.

Hot Flash

I just had two of the worst things happen this morning for the entire trip.

After getting fuel, I went to store to get a few provisions, tomatoes, cheese, sausage and more white wine.
I figure that was enough for 7days.

After the market, I'm caving back to boat and realize my passport is not in my back pocket.
Ok. I hoped I left it on boat.

I get to boat, enter thru the pilot house, come down the stairs, with grocery bag in each hand, sunglasses on, turn left for galley and guess what I don't see?

I'd left the engine room hatch open, I step onto air.

Luckily my momentum allowed me get my arms and elbows above galley counter.
So no damage done.

I'm thanking everyone for that and figure I'll find my passport now.
No luck.

So I'm ready to retrace my last stops, but I ask customs to call police first, while I return to boat and look one more.

I'm now waiting for the police to bring it. Someone found it on the street.

If rather be lucky than smart.

But I do love the Azores and Horta.
Wonderful food, people and drink.
And that's all that matters.

I'm off to Ireland shortly, knowing all goes well that ends well.

Wow, what a scare on both issues. I have made the step into the air and even though I did not go all the way down I was aching for days from using muscles that had not been used in years. Glad you are OK.
The passport would have been a huge scare also. Thank God that someone returned it.
Have a a great trip. The seas look favorable this morning?

And he is off again making 7 plus headed to Ireland.

Holy crap, what an escape. First, saving oneself from who knows what kind of injury, and then someone finding and returning your passport!? A lucky day, and a good sign for things going smooth on this leg. There he goes!

Amazingly none of the wine bottles broke.

Glad you're OK, glad you got your passport back, and I see you're off on your way.

Those are fine success stories.

Don't forget how many lives a cat has... be careful with remaining number!

Great continued luck in your journey!

I think it's nice to see a story of people doing the right thing. When finding his passport they had three choices. One was to use it illegally in some way or sell it. The second was just to toss it and forget about it. But they chose to go to the effort that stood the best chance of getting it back to them.

"I'd left the engine room hatch open, I step onto air."
Very scary. I bet that won't happen again. Did you have to wash your underpants?

Did that on an N37 once that I was having surveyed. The surveyor was down in the Bosun's Locker checking the washer/dryer, I stepped into the saloon and right into the open Bosun's Locker. Five foot drop onto my knees. Fortunately, the box of linens I was carrying cushioned me from slamming face first into the steps in front of me. My only injuries were a couple bruised knees and a nasty gash in my tricep where I ripped off the hatch latching mechanism on the way down. Could have been much worse - as could Richard's fall...

Did that on an N37 once that I was having surveyed. The surveyor was down in the Bosun's Locker checking the washer/dryer, I stepped into the saloon and right into the open Bosun's Locker. Five foot drop onto my knees.

I sure hope that my Admiral doesn't see this post. It'll surely become the latest reason not to get an N-37!:lol: I never have taken a tumble into an open hatch yet, but I did take a trip down the basement steps one time. Kind-of like your example, I was carrying a basket of dirty clothes that in ended up head-first into. No damage.

I did take a trip down the basement steps one time. Kind-of like your example, I was carrying a basket of dirty clothes that in ended up head-first into. No damage.

Always a smart move if you're going to go tumbling down stairs head first to carry some laundry to land in.

And it'd be better if it's already dirty, because it probably needs rewashing. just say'n.

Has anyone found out if Richard gets charged for incoming messages on his Delorme account? I know some of the plans have unlimited messages and others you pay as you go. Not sure if he wants messages or not. I am just thinking about him having company, if he wants it. Anyone know?

Has anyone found out if Richard gets charged for incoming messages on his Delorme account? I know some of the plans have unlimited messages and others you pay as you go. Not sure if he wants messages or not. I am just thinking about him having company, if he wants it. Anyone know?

He told about his Delorme deal about the time he was starting out. I think he has a limited amount of sent messages included, but he has to pay for incoming. Then again I could be wrong.

InReach

"Messaging/tracking usage charges are billed monthly. Text messaging fees apply to incoming and outgoing messages. Overage fees apply to usage that exceeds the text or tracking messages included in the plan, as outlined"

I'm not getting anything on the DeLorme tracker right now.

Must be a hiccup with the website, looks like it works here.

Richard Bost
Mon Aug 18th, 20145:43:00 pm

Speed: 6.91 mph Heading: ENE
Elevation: 21.00 ft Batt: Normal
Lat: 39.101530 Lon: -27.302830

From Richard early this morning 2:22 EST:

Well, I awoke this morning to find Jupiter on top of Venus.
Good way to start the day :)
I got about 5 hrs sleep

During the last 12 hours.
Winds continued all night 32012 right on my beam of course. It's been a rolly 24 hrs.

I'd like to push more to the north, but alas the wind need to be more westerly.

Richard Bost sent this message from:
Lat 39.283687 Lon -26.656758

Thanks for the update! Glad it is going well! My wife can't understand why I keep refreshing that webpage. :)

Assume he's sleeping in the pilot house with alarms set? 5hrs is impressive - not much less than I'm getting while watching from afar!

Asked Richard about Delorme texting costs, and about members wishing to text, but concerned about cost:

From Dauntless 5:19 EST:

No cost to me using Delorme.
Unlimited, but only 160 char each.
It'll give me something to do.

Richard Bost sent this message from:
Lat 39.456475 Lon -26.207735

From Post #1 in this thread:

We now have a Delorme InReach Satellite Phone. It will only do texts, but it does allow two way communications all the way across the ocean. You can follow our route with updates every 10 minutes and/or contact us by going to the website https://share.delorme.com/Dauntless

Once on the above page, on the left column, you click on my name, which allows you to select the other buttons above, Locate, Message, and Center. So Locate pings the phone, basically updating the map. Message allows you to send us a text message and Center, does just that, it re-centers the map.

I’ll pretty much have the InReach on until I get to winter quarters, probably in Ireland, probably at the end of September.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom